main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Cutting the IMAX Clones & Your IMAX Reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by chitwood, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm disappointed in the cuts too, but it doesn't matter since AOTC IMAX isn't scheduled to come out where I live :(

And I also find it hillarious that some people are complaining about cuts in a film they don't like in the first place!

I'm glad they didn't cut the wedding scene, though. That really would make the whole film pointless.

2. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    I'm kind of disappointed on the cuts, but I understand due to time limitations. Besides, it's not a permanent change, just something to showcase the film on IMAX.

Actually I wish they had just taken the action sequences out of all 5 films and put them on IMAX and called it Star Wars: Motion Sickness.

3. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    The scenes cut are largely the scenes many people have complained about since May 16th. Now they're complaining about those very scenes being cut from the movie. It's ironic, don't you think?

4. darkanidanami124

darkanidanami124 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    The scenes cut are largely the scenes many people have complained about since May 16th. Now they're complaining about those very scenes being cut from the movie. It's ironic, don't you think?

Yes

5. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

T_H_X_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    "Actually I wish they had just taken the action sequences out of all 5 films and put them on IMAX and called it Star Wars: Motion Sickness."

LOL! Motion Sickness! [face_laugh]

I wish they would... :D

I'm not going see it at IMAX, was going
    to, but now with the cuts just runs the whole
    film! I'll be happy to see it on my TV ten days after the IMAX comes out. :)
    I thank they should have called it:
    "STAR WARS:
    Attack of the Screen size:
    The edited Experience "

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    You know, for all you people who complain about a few cut scenes of no real importaince, you should consider yourselves lucky.

AOTC IMAX isn't even playing anywhere near me.

7. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Lucas cut out some of the worst aspects of the film and people are still complaining?!? Damn, this is a Star Wars moving coming to IMAX. Wake up people!

8. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    "Lucas cut out some of the worst aspects of the film and people are still complaining?!? Damn, this is a Star Wars moving coming to IMAX. Wake up people!"

I'll wake up, when you go to bed.
    8-}

Just joking [face_laugh]

IMO AOTC IMAX is nice, I'm just not in to seeing it edited. Can't wait for the DVD though. :)

9. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I got my AOTC IMAX ticket yesterday for $5.45 (with a student I.D.)! That's a dollar cheaper than I paid for regular AOTC tickets. Is this common or are some of you guys paying more? I remember hearing rumors that IMAX tickets were $10 and up.

10. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    Sorry same post 2 times :)

11. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    "The scenes cut are largely the scenes many people have complained about since May 16th."

I'm not one of those people. I love AOTC, and like every scene in the film. Which is exactly why I'd just as soon wait until the 12th so I can see the whole film (plus extras).

For me, the novelty of seeing AOTC on the big, BIG screen would be diluted by the constant reminders of missing scenes.

I can wait.

-Otis

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    It is unfortunate that the IMAX technology couldn't handle the longer film, but I think it will still be an excellent experience.

I am surprised that the Mace-Yoda "diminishing of the force" scene is taken out. That seems kind of important.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, so, after we see it on IMAX, should there be an official "I have seen IMAX AOTC" thread?
    Or just post in the AOTC at the box office thread?
    Or just post here?

????

14. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    A new AOTC IMAX reaction thread would be good.

15. Sith_Mind

Sith_Mind Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2002
    It's a damn shame that the better cut is being wasted on IMAX. I wish to God that was the theatrical/dvd cut. GL is around 4 cuts away from really making AOTC something that could be massaged into a halfway decent film. Oh well.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    To those that will not watch it on IMAX because of the edits:

If they ever got around to showing the original trilogy on DVD, would you also stay away just on account of the movies being slightly edited to fit the 2-hour limit?

17. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    * The first scene with Amidala, Organa, Yoda et al in Palpy's office is gone.

Is this the scene in which Nat says, "Hey, I know! It must be Dooku"? If so, good riddance.

* The portion where Jar Jar greets Obi and Anakin at the elevator up through the "awkward reintroduction" of Anakin to Padme was removed. The scene starts with Obi/Ani talking about how they're going to find the person responsible, etc.

Yay!

* After Anakin makes kouhoun sushi and Obi leaps out the window, the end of the scene where Dorme' asks Padme if she's alright was trimmed off.

Eh, who cares?

* A minor trim: the part where the assasin droid (to which Obi-Wan is clinging) tries to scrape Obi against the building was removed.

That's an odd cut. I would have kept it and cut something else. But I really don't care.

* The rest of the Coruscant chase remains intact, and WOW - it is simply breathtaking (if not a little dizzying on an 8-story screen)! This is a scene almost tailor-made for IMAX.

Since this isn't even a cut, I obviously have no opinion.

* In Padme's quarters, a minor trim of Anakin playing with the floating ball and (I think) the part where he says he's ready for the trials.

Good. The less Nat and Hayden scenes, the better.

* The discussion between Obi-Wan, Mace and the floaty Yoda was removed.

Good. That is just one more scene that contradicts the OT. Kenobi is the only one worried about Anakin, while the all-wise Yoda and Mace tell him to not sweat the small stuff.

* On the train, the tearful goodbye of Dorme was trimmed out of the rest of the scene (since I am a HUGE Dorme fan, I wasn't so happy about this).

Who cares?

* The library scene was completely removed.

Good. That scene has the single worst edit in SW history.

* The very end of the arrival on Naboo (where they are walking down the long curved columned pathway was trimmed, as was the entire meeting with Queen Jamilla.

Good. I hate that queen.

* When Anakin and Padme arrive at the Naboo Spa and Resort Island, there are quite a few minor trims - the part about "here, everything is soft and smooth" to the hand touch and back rub was clipped out.

Very good.

* As far as the rest of the Naboo scenes go, the only ones that were left in were the dinner table scene (with some beautifully crafted digital pans to account for the reduced aspect ratios - it was 100% smooth and natural. At least we *think* that's what they did!) and a much abbreviated but significantly smoother fireplace scene. The "I'm haunted by the kiss you never should have given me" is one of the exorcised lines. No "sound of music", no picnic and no Shaak-riding.

<<Binary pumps his right arm>> Yes! Yes! Yes! Cut that junk out! Cut it all out!

* On Kamino, the portion of the scene where he heads back out to his ship to have R4 send a message back to Coruscant was trimmed out.

Eh.

* Boba's firing of the Slave I cannons was trimmed out of the fight, but we didn't realize it after the scene was over!

Good. The few little-kid scenes, the better.

* The Anakin "a sheet, a dream, a moan" - scene is gone. It goes straight to Anakin in his meditative "Vader-esque" pose on the balcony.

Very good. I don't know about everyone else, but I never wanted to see Darth Vader masturbating.

* On Tatooine, 3POs introduction of Anakin/Padme to Owen/Beru was cut (taking with it Beru's one and only line - sorry, Beru fans!)

Eh.

* In the Confession scene, the beginning part in which Anakin comments about "the shifter broke. Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things," was cut. NOTE: The ending of the Confession scene is the original ending (ie. without Padme's "...is to be human" line).

Good for the first part. I don't know exactly what is meant by "the original ending".

* Dooku's entrance into Obi-Wan's floating cell was trimmed off, as was th

18. Sith_Mind

Oct 16, 2002
    I agree. AOTC was 30 minutes too long. Even after you trim the crap there's a ton of room for improvements. It's a shame that IMAX gets the better (shorter) cut and we had to sit thru 2 1/2 hours of director-indulgence. Just another nail in the PT coffin, methinks.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Binary, you must be commended for your eloquence... ;)

20. Sith_Mind

Oct 16, 2002
    Princess Tina: Binary's only workin' with the material at hand. AOTC is hardly inspiring...

21. Ghouled-Scarlacc

Ghouled-Scarlacc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    OMG, I forgot about Kamino. Less than 24 hours.
    I'm all in bunches! *giggle*

23. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

The irony of people who didn't like AOTC complaining about cut scenes reminds me of the Woody Allen joke in the opening scene of
    ANNIE HALL.

Diner # 1: The food at this restaurant is really terrible.

Diner # 2: Yes! And such small portions!

[face_laugh]

"the less kid's scenes, the better."

Ah, another child-hating fanboy.

What's up with people hating kids in a KID'S MOVIE!!!! And when did most of these people fall in love with these films? WHEN THEY WERE KIDS! I guess the irony is lost on them, lol.

24. Sith_Mind

Oct 16, 2002
    There's nothing wrong with child characters in general but Lucas has been casting the least talented, most annoying child actors in the PT and saddling them with offensively insipid dialogue.

25. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Although we were kids when we first saw the OT, the OT didn't have kids in it. It wouldn't have been as good if there were. Look no further than the ewok movies for proof of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.