main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Cutting the IMAX Clones & Your IMAX Reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by chitwood, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I guess I must be absoluetly dumb and oblivious to the REAL way young 10-year-old human beings act or something because everything Anakin/Boba said seemed believable and well-handled to me. When I first seen Episode I, Jake Lloyd's script and performance just wasn't even in question. He was as pure ten year old boy wanting to just break free. When I first seen Episode II, Daniel Logan was completely beliveable as a little brat kid who wanted everyone to die. Just as I'd hoped.

2. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I thought Boba was great in Ep2. I love the father/son connection there and you can already see how Boba will commit himself to following his destiny...

3. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Jake Loyd did a good enough job but wouldn't it have been great if young Anakin was played by a really impressive child actor more along the lines of Haley Joel Osment?

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Who knows? I was satisfied with Jake enough to not even worry about how Haley would have done.

5. Digitalfreaknyc

Digitalfreaknyc Jedi Master

Sep 2, 2002
    Hey guys...

just came back from the 7:30 screening.

Want the short version??

Rent the full screen version...turn the bass up REAL high...and sit real close to the screen. Plus fast forward a couple of parts that you find boring. Welcome.

You've just experienced AOTC in IMAX.

As someone who is a HUGE star wars fan and saw AOTC 5 times this summer (4 of which were digital, the first being a regular film print...it was a sneak preview), this was kinda a waste to me. I was REALLY excited before the movie started...and then the previews started, and it went downhill from there. I was hoping MAYBE it'd be in it's OAR but nope...full screen.

As far as the presentation...again...cannot get over watching this movie in Pan&Scan. Horrible. The bass was up WAYYYYY too high and the ending (Imperial March) was barely discernable under the heavy bass. The print was too dark and shadows made everything too dark. There was some pixelization/macroblocking in some scenes.

It was also VERY close to the actors faces. I was close to the back of the theater and it was just too big. You could see all of Hayden's make-up (tanning lotion anyone?) as well as Ian's.

Brings me to the picture quality. Full movies should NOT be in IMAX. There's too much going on. Too much fast motion. It's really made for slow pans and interesting "worlds" but not for a movie that you're supposed to listen to and experience. After a while it just gave me a headache. Alot of the fast scenes just became one big blur.

So that's that. I'm glad I went to say I experienced it...but not thrilled with what I saw.
    But one things for sure...i can't WAIT for the DVD...to see it the way it SHOULD be seen.

6. Sith_Mind

Sith_Mind Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2002
    Was the theater crowded?

What was the audience reaction like?

Were the cuts effective?

7. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Did the crowd scream when they saw this on IMAX or not?

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/yoda9.jpg]

8. Digitalfreaknyc

Sep 2, 2002
    There were about 40 people there...not many. It's a HUGE auditorium. Few people clapping here and there. Nothing big.
    It IS halloween and no one knew that there would be a showing today. They didn't post the times until this morning and who knows WHY they even had a showing the day before it was supposed to open.

Did everyone go nuts with Yoda? Nope. To be honest...he looked a little fake on that huge screen panned and scammed.

The cuts were pretty bad. For someone who never saw this movie before, they'd be even more confused than with the original version. I went with my best friend who had seen it 4 times before and we both agreed that it was pretty bad. Good experience to say we did it. But overall, wished we had seen it on a regular, wide-screen again. The cuts were distracting to someone who had seen it so many times and didn't have a problem with the original version. It makes you realize how much those plot points actually MEAN to the flow of the movie.

I'm sure most people will love it but I didn't. I'm a huge fan. I'm probably picking up the DVD tomorrow at my local store (they break street date) and I'm sure I'll love it. I just want to forget there's an IMAX version of this movie...or even that horrible poster for the IMAX version of the movie that doesn't exist. ;)

9. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    "It IS halloween and no one knew that there would be a showing today. They didn't post the times until this morning and who knows WHY they even had a showing the day before it was supposed to open."

That sounds REALLY believable.

Check Digitalfreak's bio page.

Look at his post count.

His only 2 posts are on this thread.

10. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    Just got back. Crowded theater, lots of excitement. Fx, sound, and background visuals were great!!!! Some of the cuts hurt the plot a bit (Palpy scenes)but most were ok. It wasn't just A/P that got trimmed--also Yoda dialogue and Mace. One edit seemed really bad to me--a transition from Kamino to the meditation scene--it didn't fade well.

Yes, at times the makeup was noticeable, but wasn't that also true of the digital version? But there is greater depth to facial expressions and gestures--really enhances the whole Tusken-confession scene. Although I was not thrilled with all of the cuts, it was still really solid and there are several scenes which are truly worth the admission price.

Some worker at the local Imax told me--"you won't even notice the cuts." Yeah right, SW fans notice everything!!!! Worth seeing, but I'm not sure how many more times I'll go.

Overall, I'd say not necessarily better or worse--just different.

11. Jedi Master Matt

Jedi Master Matt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 1998
    Hey Digitalfreaknyc,

I just read your post about IMAX. I didn't even think about check the Cuts thread for any reactions, so I started a new reaction thread. I just got back from a screening and guess what?

You and I have the exact same reaction. I hate pan-and-scan at home, and HATE it even more at the theater.

I won't bother retyping the rest of my post, but you may want to check it out.

12. Jedi Master Matt

Jedi Master Matt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 1998
    I guess, this is now the reactions thread, so paste away.---

I have mixed feelings.

The good.

The technology that allows 35mm or in this case, digital images, to be blown up to IMAX size is incredible. I noticed a few minor pixelization problems, but nothing major.

The "experience" of the IMAX size was "unique".

The image that was presented onscreen did have exceptional clarity. You could clearly see Ewan's pierced ear.

The bad.

The IMAX format is not meant for watching epic/Cinemascope/Panavision/2.40:1 movies if you have to crop the image. I hate pan-and-scan at home and I hate it even more in the theater.

IMAX isn't a format that is meant for the theatrical film experience. A good rule of thumb for a normal theater is to sit far enough back to fill your perphirial vision. In IMAX this doesn't work because your are almost always filling your side to side vision, but you are constantly having to look up and down. Regular 70mm prints are a better way to go in my opinion. I'll go out of my way to catch a good film in 70mm. I'd like to see this IMAX conversion technology put to use to do make more regular 70mm prints available. Heck, they could even to it first run.

I HATED this cut of the movie. I really liked the 35mm cut of AotC. I thought the DLP cut was better. But, I absolutely LOVE the DVD cut of the film. It is my favorite/best Star Wars flick. I know that this board is going to fill up with posts about how some of the cuts made the film "leaner and meaner", but I just didn't care for it. I wonder if those who like the cuts simply have the other versions in their minds to fill in the missing holes. I'll stick with the DVD cut. (Well, the cuts from the Droid Factory weren't too bad).

Overall, I recommend fans to check out the IMAX experience. That's just what it is... an experience. The REAL thing for me will be available for all to purchase on 11/12. I'd love to see the DVD cut of AotC in 70mm. If I had to rank the best ways to watch AotC in a theater, it would be: 1) DLP - by a light year. 2) 35mm - regular film. 3) IMAX. If you go into it thinking it's just a gimmick or an "experience" if you will, you should enjoy it.

P.S. - the IMAX cut has several new sound effects added. Can you name a few?

13. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    Well, other than a few cuts that seemed abrupt (particularly a few that occur within scenes), I like the Imax version better than the original. The shortened fireplace scene works better in my opinion, and thank goodness they took out C-3PO dangling from that platform droid thing.
    I noticed theforce.net's article said the clip where the droid Obi-Wan is hanging onto scrapes up against the side of a building was missing. Well, that clip most definitely was there.

There are a few parts during the Coruscant chase that actually look a tad blurry -- mostly when the camera is right up close to the characters. But I didn't notice that happen again anywhere else. The entire end battle is particularly well translated onto Imax.
    As for it basically being pan & scan, I have to be honest... I didn't realize they even trimmed the picture until coming here and seeing the complaints. I guess I'm not exactly a DVD freak as of yet, so I didn't notice.

The theatre was pretty full except the front row or two, so I'm guessing around 220-240 people were there. 10 or so guys dressed up. I wasn't one of them. :p

14. YodasMaster

YodasMaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I haven't actually seen AOTC on an IMAX screen, and I definately wont be. I've just read the list of cuts, and, IMHO, the cuts are in effect raping AOTC, which is a great work of art. If anything, I'd like to see a longer film, not one slashed to pieces.

But that's just my opinion.

15. darthreal

darthreal Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2002
    I felt like some cut?s where ruff, but some where better.
    I'm just mad because I did not get my Bantha Tracks IMAX promotion book. Now people are selling them at about $300.00. The guy at the IMAX said they only got about 100.

16. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yeah, that cut is really HORRIBLE!

They nearly cut all the scenes with Palpatine! :mad: It's a shame!

17. Jedi Miester

Jedi Miester Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 1999
    From the cut scenes list:

<<<< The scene in Palpy's ofc where he manipulates Jar Jar to consider making the "emergency powers" motion in the Senate was removed completely. >>>>>

This and the scene where Mace talks about the Jedi's ability to use the force being diminished were cut from the IMAX version, yet the story said the fans "didn't miss much of anything"...

What?

Some were good though.

18. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    <<I agree. AOTC was 30 minutes too long. Even after you trim the crap there's a ton of room for improvements. It's a shame that IMAX gets the better (shorter) cut and we had to sit thru 2 1/2 hours of director-indulgence. Just another nail in the PT coffin, methinks.>>

I totally disagree..the PT is just as entertaining as the OT....different stories....different times....I thought AOTC was great. Heck, I wish it'd been 3 hours long. There's a lot of story to be told. Anyway, the IMAX version will be damn good as well....I see it tomorrow!!

19. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    <<Jake Loyd did a good enough job but wouldn't it have been great if young Anakin was played by a really impressive child actor more along the lines of Haley Joel Osment?>>

No.....

20. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    I saw it at 00:01 (midnight) about 9 hours ago. I had to get some sleep. I loved it! I agree with 90% of the cuts. The only thing that would have improved it, was to combine a few scenes, ie

Anakin and Padme go to Naboo (part with queen cut out, yipee, I didn't like that scene,

Then cut to Obi landing on Kamino and talking Lama Su

Cut back to Lake District. "Sand is rough" ( no, unlike you baby talk, good cut.)

cut back to Obi wan inspecting clones

cut back to naboo dinner (very ver well panned, flawless even to compensate for aspect ratio)

cut back to obi and Jango first meet.

With the cuts, these scenes bounced around to fast. They should have combined the first two Naboo, and the first two Kamino.

That is really my only complaint, but that is the whole movie anyway, cutting to fast. Anyway when Anakin jumped on the swoop and took off, they give you a 2 second view from the nose, at dusk. It went away just as I was feelling the motion. Same with Coruscant chase, which I didn't care for because of rapid camera changes. If they had left alone for a couple of seconds when Anakin was divebombing to get Obi, I feel strongly somebody in the audience would have hurled.

Looking at a wall of Jar Jar face isn't a pleasent experience, unless your a 3D artist and your absolutely baffled, like me, about how flawless the rendering was on the 8 story screen.

I hope I don't get banned, but seeing Natalie in the black leather dress amazing. The one scene she is lecturing Anakin, is a bust view, and you can see her chest contracting and exhalling. Her skin was perfect.

I got to see Aayla Secura, I know she was in the scene that Obi goes to walk in on the Younglings, but it was like "BAM" there she is. they also cut the "truely wonderful is the mind a child line." Again, I hated that line, thought it diminished the seriousness of the situation. They cut the Library scene, which i didn't like, because I thought that helped carry the story. Oh and seeing Dex's trousers falling down on IMAX was a little disturbing :)

I would recomend it to anyone who can see it. I had a great time, and I actually felt like I watched a smoother movie. If they just would have added the rest of the confession scene to make up for the lost clips, I would have been overwhelmed.

Digitalfrknyc wrote:

he looked a little fake on that huge screen panned and scammed.

I'm a letterbox junkie, but pan and scan had nothing to do with why Yoda looked a little fake. It is because the CGI is not blured into the movie like on 35mm. It looks like CGI. JAR JAR was the same way. Although as I said above, the fact that I didn't see any granularity was a who stopper for me.

21. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    "Just another nail in the PT coffin, methinks."

Do you ever get tired of being wrong? Seriously, I'd like to know [face_plain]

22. Praxium

Praxium Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 1999
    I saw Imax in Palisades Center, west Nyack NY, probably the smallest Imax theater in the world. Crowd of 50, great people, namely they turned their cell phones off. (The first time i saw Ep2 went off every 5 minutes!!)
    The cuts were excellent. I a cringed whenever i knew terrible dialogue was coming, (my sister poked me for those)
    and boy was i happy when 99% of them weren't there!
    What a coincidence that for ep 4,5,6 there are zero scenes of anybody sleeping. You here? Zero. And i take pride in that. When I?m watching starwars i don't need people snickering over something.
    My happiness could barely be contained when i realized that dream scene was cut, both my friend and sister kicked me.

I don't know about anyone else, But Imax has won me over, and there is no way i'm gonna settle for a regular theater after this. It was as crisp as digital.

If Ebert were to have seen this version(and the whole world wasn?t biased against GL) it would get 5 stars.

23. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I saw a midnight showing last night. Having only seen AOTC twice before, I was looking forward to seeing it again as much as anything. Anyway, I knew I was in for a treat when I felt like I could walk out into space on the opening scroll. The other moment I recall where the emense size affected my veiwing was the arrival on Tatoonie, where the planet sort of rolled into the scene and I felt my stomach turn a bit...very cool.

Lots of details and what not pop out, like everyone's said. The cuts didn't bother me, nor did the pan & scan version of things...but at times I could see blurs/bluescreen on the edges of the characters' hair, which I couldn't/didn't notice on a regular viewing...also noticed the digital patch on the back of Obi-Wan's shoulder covering up the wire used to float him when he was captured...more of a distraction rather than an annoyance.

Overall, it was worth it to me to see it this way. It was more or less a private screening for my FanForce group, about 100 people, who've all seen the movie multiple times, so there wasn't any crazy fan outbursts or anything, but everyone had a good time.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I saw it at 9:00 last night, and we were the first group on the west coast to see it (or so said the IMAX people, that is).

I thought the cuts were made with Star Wars fans in mind, and those who had already seen the movie. It wasn't meant to tell the complete story we had already seen, and that's fine. I thought the chase scene was spectacular, and along with the last part of the movie, benefitted the most from IMAX. The battles were great, and the lightsabers have never looked or sounded better.

I didn't particularly care for the cuts to the rain battle, which I thought needed to be intact. It's one thing to take away entire scenes or a few lines of dialogue, but taking away a few seconds in a battle is a different story.

And that's my thoughts for now :). Overall, I liked it.

25. Digitalfreaknyc

Sep 2, 2002
    "That sounds REALLY believable.

Check Digitalfreak's bio page.

Look at his post count.

His only 2 posts are on this thread."

Wait wait...just because I'm a new member and i have only posted twice...you're going to doubt that I saw it last night at 7:30 and that it wasn't announced earlier? Do I have to scan my ticket?

Wowzers...u guys sure are harsh around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.