SPY REPORT: Episode III Trailer Description

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Joshua Griffin, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua Griffin TheForce.Net co-owner

VIP
    star 4
    The first half of trailer consists of a familiar voice over with Alec Guinness. Fans will love to hear him speak his monologue to Luke from A New Hope about "Jedi Knights always being the guardians of peace." As we hear these familiar phrases, they've intercut shots from various Star Wars episodes, excluding Episode 3. Only when the monologue ends with "Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force" about 40 seconds into the trailer do we see the face of Anakin. He is partly covered with dark hood, looking positively evil.

This is followed by the shot of erupting volcanoes, then some sort of volcanic field with crab-like creatures and then darkness, all accompanied by Vader breathing. Then the following is heard:

Sidious: "Lord Vader..."

Vader: "Yes?"

Sidious: "Rise."

Then we see Anakin in full Vader gear rising on some sort of operating table to which he is chained. The rising is slow and is intercut with shot of various Star Wars main characters. When the table has fully risen so that Vader is basically standing upright, the meatiest part of trailer begins, with many, many shots from Episode III. Most of them are very, very short - this will be something for freeze-frame fanatics to analyze.

The ones that stuck in my memory:

Dozens of Wookiees on some sort of floating platform.

Padme with signature Leia hairdo.

The Tri-Fighter, aka the precursor to the TIE fighter with three curving wings and guns mounted between each wing. They shoot red lasers.

The ARC Clonefigthter, aka the precursor to X-Wing, with three wings on each side.

A gigantic starship being sprayed by streams of something that looks like dense acid.

The trailer ends with the title "THE SAGA IS COMPLETE - MAY 2005" and is about 100 seconds long.

And with this post I will announce my resignation effective 11/1/04 as Editor of TFN. Nothing related to this, just something I've been thinking about for quite a while. More details soon ... MTFBWYA

JG
    Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    First to post!!! Awesome, Josh!!!!!

BTW, I didn't read it yet. I will now. :D

And with this post I will announce my resignation effective 11/1/04 as Editor of TFN.

:eek:

Noooooooooooooo!
  3. futuote Jedi Knight

star 1
    Then you missed his resignation announcement, dude!

Sounds like they're really pushing the Vader and Saga aspects.
  4. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I want your job.

this trailer is all i dreamed it would be.
  5. tDR Jedi Master

star 4
    OH MY GOD!!!! thanks josh! im gonna read it now
  6. Harrison_Solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, My, God! Fricken Awsome!!!! Question: is the part with Palps telling Vader to rise actually shown right before Vader's table rises, or is it during the blackness. If it's right before he rises, then that would indicate Anakin had already known about the new name BEFORE going under the scalpal.
  7. WaunTaun Jedi Knight

star 2
    How did you see this trailer? Also, do you have any clue as to when it will be shown in theaters or online?
  8. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
    i find it interesting that the trailer shows the end of the film. according to spoilers this is the last minute where we see darth for the first time shouldnt it be saved for the movie? because some shot down my rumors about vader going on for 10 mins more.
  9. LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost

star 4
    Alrighty!!!!

Padme with signature Leia hairdo :)

What about the metal bikini?
  10. PTGrievous Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nice description :rock

Why not stick around as head honcho til after Episode III is out?
    Then hand the reigns to someone else
  11. tDR Jedi Master

star 4
    my resignation :( good luck with all future endevours. You've been great help to us fans! Appreciate everything :)

Dozens of Wookiees on some sort of floating platform.
    floating? is this a Kashyyyk platform?

Vader: "Yes?"
    Shouldnt he be saying 'yes, my lord' or something along those lines?

Im not sure if i like the idea of intercutting with previous films. Did that work well Josh?
  12. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    Oh yea... Which SW music played during the trailer?

Or is it gonna be music-less a la the "Breathing" trailer for AOTC (though Breathing had the drum beat of Darth Maul's theme at the end)?
  13. futuote Jedi Knight

star 1
    shouldnt it be saved for the movie?

It's the strongest selling point of the movie for the mass audience and it's not particularly a surprise. I wonder if uninformed people are going to think he's in much more than the last few minutes of the movie.

When does this trailer come out online?
  14. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    Josh, you've done a wonderful job as editor of this site.

Thanks so much for your dedication and hard work in serving the fan community!

:)

It's sad to see you resign, but we all know real life has responsibilities that we cannot avoid.

Thanks for the info on the trailer, though, and we're all impatiently looking forward to it!
  15. Joshua Griffin TheForce.Net co-owner

VIP
    star 4
    I'm posting on the main page, with some music news I just got on the trailer as well.

JG
  16. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Wow... thanks Josh!

Sad to see you go. :(

RB
  17. deadjedi_willbe Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool. Can't wait to see it.
  18. LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah big thanks Josh, you rock!

:)
  19. FORCEOF1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    It makes perfect sense to have (the rise of Vader) in the trailer, because it's the one part that EVERYBODY knows is going to happen. Even those who are pure and unspoiled.

Sad to see you go, Master Griffin.

FORCEOF1
  20. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
    futu. i disagree. showing vader in the trailer would be a bad bad decision. this is supposed to be a surprise to people. i wasnt talking about us. the ners on message boards. other people that dont know that anakin is really darth vader. trust me people dont know. they think he is a young luke or something. if people see this trasnformation on the screen and in the end see him as darth vader it will come to shock to a lot of people. you all say we only get 2 mins of darth vader in this movie. so why put in part of these two minutes in the trailer. its just rubbish.
  21. LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess it was inevitable that Vader would be used to the hilt in the advertising campaign.

Dissapointing but I guess that's the reality of it, am bracing for complaints from critics who think suited vader is the only vader and get dissapointed when they only see him for a mere few quick minutes.
  22. DarthBlanco Force Ghost

star 4
    This sounds good. Glad to hear that AG's voice is on the trailer.

Sorry to hear you are resigning, Josh.
  23. tDR Jedi Master

star 4
    we already know what vader looks like. what's there to spoil?
    + we've already seen him in the OT dvds
  24. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I fully expected (and even stated that we should expect to see) that they would use clips from the other movies. Everything is going as planned. :)

RB
  25. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    this is supposed to be a surprise to people. i wasnt talking about us. the ners on message boards. other people that dont know that anakin is really darth vader.

Um, HUH?????

"Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker, and became Darth Vader."

-Obi-Wan in ROTJ

Other people that don't know that Anakin is really Darth Vader are those who DIDN'T see the Original Trilogy!! It's not SUPPOSED to be a surprise-- It's only a surprise to those who haven't seen the first 3 films for some odd, moronic reason.

If people are shocked to see this in the trailer, I have some words to say to you: Go rent the freakin' Original Trilogy DVDs. [face_plain]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.