main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Episode III Trailer Description

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by chitwood, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    sweeeet.......

don't mean to read into josh's resignation as it is such a sad thing but maybe the 1st is the date of the trailers release? so it'd be like he's goin out with a bang?

just a thought. trailer does sound cool

2. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Sounds great to me. Thanks Josh.

-JR :)

3. RednepSuS

RednepSuS Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Really really great!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

:) [face_devil]

4. ilmthx

ilmthx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2001
    Not to butt in on the conversation...

starwarsagent:

I understand your mentality, and I do sympathize. I would love for the marketing people in the movie business to not have to give away nearly everything just to get people's butts in the seats. The fact of the matter is, however, that you need to grab people's attention.

To the uninitiated, which would be stronger?

A 20ish guy with long hair hanging over a cliff, lava below, screaming for life, etc.

or

Darth freakin' Vader, the most recognizable villain of all time-breathing, speaking, and being raised up on a medical table, presumably newly created.

Both are strong images no doubt. But Vader is iconic. And that image suggests what this film, nay, entire prequel trilogy is about.

We get to see how Vader gets put in the suit. To me, and definitely to the marketing staff, everything else is taste and subtlety (2 things marketing is usually without).

5. Goatboy

Goatboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 2000
    /\/\ I agree.. sounds awesome to me.

Josh, thanks for all the time & effort you put into making this the bestest SW site out there, it is much appreciated!

Good Luck & MTFBWY!

6. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    Yeah I hope its out on the 1st

Does anyone remember the dates the teasers were released for EPI and II?

7. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    TPM trailer showed Darth Maul igniting his double bladed saber which I thought was a big mistake, it would have been so much better to have everyone in the theatre gasp with surprise at that moment but instead it was common knowledge by the time the movie was released.

8. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Personally I'd like to wait to see Vader in the theatre!

thanks kained. you summed it up. thats exactly what I was trying to say!

9. Veraden

Veraden Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    This trailer sounds very good. I look forward to seeing it.

10. tDR

tDR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    which I thought was a big mistake, it would have been so much better to have everyone in the theatre gasp with surprise at that moment

Oh yep, i remember that, exactly what I thought

11. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    great point about darth maul. now you know where im coming from. there is still time to remove vader from the trailer and make it a surprise for the general public.

josh WBM.

12. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I thought that would be the way they'd go. Think about it guys, from the marketing point of view, they want people to go see this film. Now all us geeks on here are going to see it anyway so they don't need to grab us. To get Joe public interested again, and those who have felt that the prequels are too different from the originals they grew up with it makes perfect sense to focus on the links to the originals and then show that Vader is going to be in it. It makes perfect marketing sense. Personally I would have gone with the approach up to actually showing Vader but I think it's going to be a good one

13. MECHA-SUPERIOR

MECHA-SUPERIOR Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2001
    We already saw the making of this scene on the DVD, so this isn't a total surprise. Also, Jim Ward has been dying to get his paws on Vader's visage. It's a marketer's dream.

The Iron Lung isn't gonna be what makes this movie bad or great -- but it will put folks in the seats.

Elementary.

14. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    "And with this post I will announce my resignation effective 11/1/04 as Editor of TFN."

"NOOOO!! That's NOT TRUE!! That's IMPOSSIBLE!!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Seems like it was just yesterday that you brought me onboard a few months after Episode I. And now... *sigh*

Don't say you're retiring. NOBODY really retires from this site, be they staffer or JC forumer or lurker. TFN has a place in the hearts of so many and that's due in no small part to what you've done for this place, Josh.

We're gonna miss ya buddy. Now promise us that you'll at least show up at Celebration III (my wife's still wanting to meet you :))

15. Droid4sale

Droid4sale Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2004
    First part all battles, jedi, GG, wookies, OSB snipit, then I would have ended the trailer with Obi wan and Anakin, both angry, rushing towards each other with two lightsabres clashing, to black fade, followed by Palpatine saying-- All is proceeding as planned--in a still blackedout screen, fade back to yoda, standing alone and troubled, saying something like-- Lost him to the dark side we have. Black screen, vader breathing, title, date of release. A fast paced intro building to a peak of the inevitable w/o seeing him.

Thx Josh. Sorry to see you go.

16. Iwgmr

Iwgmr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 1999
    I wonder where he saw the trailer and when it's going to be released to hyperspace members. meditate on this, I will.

17. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Exactly, Mecha. It's all about getting people into the theatres. It's not as if Lucas is being coy about how long Vader's in the film for. I think it's a sensible move, especially when you consider that if the trailer focuses on that two minute aspect of the film then they'll be far more surprises when we actually watch the film. I mean, this is the one thing we all know is going to happen.

18. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't know what to say....

19. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    if Josh is retiring as editor, will he still be owner?

I guess i could ask him... Josh... are you just resigning as editor, are you still gonna be the owner?

...still looking for that screenshot

20. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    OMG I can't wait! The trailer sounds SICK. Especially "Rise". Woohoo!! :D [face_dancing] ]-}

21. Blue_Harvest_1983

Blue_Harvest_1983 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2003
    Huh-huh-huh-huh. That was cool.

22. BlueWings

BlueWings Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2004
    It sounds sick? Why? It didn't sound that offensive to me... It actually sounds quite clever - the way it is drawing together the other episodes... particularly when there is a DVD out there!!

Anyway - certainly it didn't upset me in any way.

23. nexius98

nexius98 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2004
    CAn i ask how josh knew that all that would be in the trailer?

24. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    It sounds sick? Why?

lol. Sick as in awesome!

25. FORCEOF1

FORCEOF1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2004
    agent
    "but if i was to edit this trailer i would show anakin getting angry, then fighting obiwan, and then maybe falling off into lava. and that would be a cliffhanger."

We know that Anakin falls into lava, but most people don't. That would be shocking and the whole lava thing has just been done (last December if you recall). Personally, I think we've seen too much of the duel already. That's where the real question marks lie for me.

FORCEOF1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.