main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Episode III Trailer Description

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by chitwood, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    Josh put a lot of spoilers out there in the last few weeks. I'm sure he got his patoot handed to him by Lucasfilm every time. I'm not really surprised that Josh is stepping down assuming that it has to do with the choking grip Lucasfilm has on this site. And I hope someone at TFN is responsible enough to fill those big shoes of Josh's.

And I love the trailer discription. I am very very happy with how it sounds. I can't wait to see it in under a month...

One post left...

2. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

:eek:

Josh, Sorry to see you go!

"What is to become of TFN, here?"

(Please don't say that "Wesa to be... Pyoonished!")

3. Sevv

Sevv Jedi Master star 2

Sep 7, 2003
    Well, well, well. That was a nice supprise to wake up to this morning.

Sounds damn right fantastic!!! The start of that trailer is really going to send goose bumps down my spine. I just cant wait. I also really like trailers with loads of really quick shots like how he described, we get to see more of the film in a teaser trailer that way :) hehe

Excellent, cant come soon enough.

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    dont get me wrong i love this description. i just think they should have saved the vader minute for the film.

but like you all say unfortunately. its all about business. i would rather people not see too much. the problem with trailers today is that they tell you the entire movie. just by watching a trailer you already know how the movie will turn out. THE WHOLE MOVIE! think the TITANIC trailer.

no wait thats a bad example. the boat sinks. think the trailer for I robot. it shows the robots fighting will smith. so you already know the robots are evil even before seeing the movie. and the whole first part of the movie is that the robots might be good.

but think of other great trailers like for the sixth sense or pirates of the caribean. they never show that bruce willis was dead and in pirates they dont show jonnhy deep as a dead pirate so you think he is alive in the entire movie when he isnt. becomes a surprise.

this stuff works. they are formulas.

5. robbie_20002002

robbie_20002002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2004
    I guess it's a double edged sword StarWarsAgent. I think the iconic imagery of Vader was too much to stay away from. Quite frankly at this point in time any shot from Episode 3 wets my pants. Plus given that we are already spoiled for this we knew it was coming anyway. However the use of Alec's dialogue is a master stroke. I think this might rank up there with the TPM teaser. It sounds that good....especially if they get the music right!

6. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    StarwarsAgent,

Ankin being transformed into Darth Vader in ROTS has never been a secret (well, not since ESB), and it cannot be compared to "the sixth sense", or "usual suspects".

The big mystery here is *how* and *why* it happens.

This teaser doesn't spoil EpIII, especially if you realize that most of what it shows of Vader has already been revealed on the DVD bonus disc.

There is no real suspense in the prequel trilogy anyway. We all know where we're going. The question is "how do we get there ?".

Frankly, I have lost all faith in Lucas, but for once, I think he cannot be attacked for using Darth Vader to sell Episode III ! It's now or never for godsake !
    It is a dream come true (not the movie, but the return of Vader).

7. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    That's a good point. I think from the teaser, the movie won't be spoiled. All we'll know is that Anakin becomes Vader, which we already know, but it's a fantastic way to play on nostalgia to build anticipation, and to remind everyone, that all the events that we thought would spread out over the three prequels are virtually all in this last film. Unfortunately starwars (in terms of prequels) is not the guaranteed sell it once was and LFL are pushing all the right buttons to get people back into the theaters. Obviously it will be massive but this has to be an attempt to win over the jaded.

BTW can anyone remember the trailer that they had on the last video re-release of eps 1,4,5 and 6 cut to Duel of the Fates. That was awesome, now times that by the Vader factor and this is going to be cool.

8. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    so if everyone has already seen darth vader in the DVD why have it in the trailer at all? cause no one has really seen the dvd. regular people dont follow this stuff. everyone at my work doesnt even know that the dvds contain darth vader from episode 3.

and why put in the same footage?

im wondering could this trailer be a fake? maybe stuff used from the dvd and other stuff filmed at the marketing session?

9. robbie_20002002

Jul 13, 2004
    It's in the trailer because it's iconic!! Even people who don't know much about Star Wars know who Darth Vader is - one of the greatest baddies of all time! It's about pumping up even the non-Star Wars fans for this new installment in the saga!

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, everybody knows Vader will be born in this film-Why not show just a small part of it?

Personally, I think the most iconic part of this scene will be when the mask actually goes onto Anakin's face. That, I'm sure, they will save for the movie.

11. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    my ex wife didnt know who darth vader was. my boss doesnt know who darth vader is. till this day.

people will still go see star wars. its not cause vader is in there for 2 mins. people will think this movie is about darth vader having revenge. and its not. if people go by the trailer and watch the movie. they will hate the movie.
    its a bad move.

12. robbie_20002002

Jul 13, 2004
    In that case may i ask what cave your boss and ex-wife have been living in for the past 27 years? - actually having seen some of your other posts i am beginning to believe that you are a sock!

13. vadooku

vadooku Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    I have no problem with Vader being in the trailer. I think it is ridiculous to say that it will spoil the Vader/Anakin thing for people. You suggested Vader be cut so this would not be revealed. However, in the trailer you "made" you left in the Alec voice over where he says Anakin ceased and became Darth Vader. I don't understand your logic. I love the description of this trailer!

14. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    well, im not saying take vader out of the trailers totally. maybe show him just a second at the end. a slight flash. not lines or whatever else. maybe show just his face on the screen. but not actuall dialogue and footage. i could work with that.

15. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    That is awesome, thanks Josh!

This trailer is going to rock!

16. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    Im in the middle. On one hand it is no surprise that Vader will be in the film and us fans at least have already seen EPIII Vader on the DVD Bonus disc.

On the other hand it is the first time many have seen him on the big screen in a new movie for over twenty years!! Apparently Lucasfilm is of the mind that that is exactly why they should market the film around Vader.

Its silly really, I mean its not like this is some small film that needs the hype.

17. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    So bittersweet. :(

The trailer looks excellent, I can't wait. But did you have to spoil it by resigning in that post? :_|

Just kidding, best of luck for whatever your next endeavour is. :D

18. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    I never realized, since 1977, that Darth Vader was a big secret nobody had ever heard of :p

I'm a bit surprised.

Some people don't know Starwars. Anything Lucas will show in his teaser will spoil them. Do we care ? No. Do they care ? I guess not.

StarwarsAgent,

It's not the exact same footage as on the bonus disc.
    The bonus disc showed us 3 seconds of Vader and Sidious bluescreen footage.

It's the same scene, but not the same shots.

Who cares if some people didn't watch the DVD bonus disc ? Good for them, they're in for a nice surprise.

What the DVD bonus disc reveals about LFL marketing strategy is that EpIII Vader won't be kept secret. And this teaser just confirms it.

For most people Vader has always been a tall guy with black robes and helmet, and that's just what you see in this teaser. No spoiler.
    Just : Vader is Vader, and he is in EPIII.

19. robbie_20002002

Jul 13, 2004
    Rightly or wrongly some people think that the first 2 PT movies sucked. Imagery of this kind may persuade back those who said they wouldn't give Lucas a second chance. I think it all comes down to tying the trilogy's together....

20. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    "Well, everybody knows Vader will be born in this film-Why not show just a small part of it?"

My point is that it wont be a small part of it but more like 1/2 of Vaders appearance in the movie in the teaser trailer.

21. robbie_20002002

Jul 13, 2004
    Given that we don't know for certain how long he is in the film that's a bit presumptious don't you think?

22. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I think the jury is still out on exactly HOW much screen time Vader will have. If only Pabs would update that friggin dropbox thread...

23. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I thought it was fact that he was in the movie for 2 mins.

24. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Looks like Mustafar has some native creatures (crablike, sounds non-intellegent).

25. robbie_20002002

Jul 13, 2004
    No, it could be up to anything like 10 minutes. Right now very little is fact. Although Ewok_Pudu and Darth_Fridays' spoilers have been generally accurate anything can change in the editing process. Right now, very little is fact except for what the OS has confirmed. They haven't said anything about Vaders exact screen time yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.