main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Square & Nintendo Reunited

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Epyon-X, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epyon-X

Epyon-X Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Wow, this came as a big surprise to me:

Fantasy Becomes Reality

Follow-up Article

Planet GameCube Article

March 08, 2002 - The long-awaited news has finally struck. According to Nintendo of America and the morning edition of the Nihon Kezai Shimbun, Square's acclaimed Final Fantasy series will return to Nintendo consoles. Via a new agreement, GameCube and Game Boy Advance will see Final Fantasy branded software, a direct result of Nintendo's recently announced Q Fund where start-up developers can borrow money from the Big N to finance software.

The new Final Fantasy branded software will return via a to be announced Square affiliate, founded by the famous RPG company and Akitoshi Kawazu -- a creator formerly involved with the production of the Legend of Mana series. The unnamed development house -- poised to be titled by the end of the month -- will use cash from the Q Fund to produce the FF software. In light of the fact that it is a Square affiliate producing software, it is unclear whether the new start-up will be porting games in the main line of the Final Fantasy series such as Final Fantasy X, XI, etc or if GameCube and Game Boy Advance will see entirely new FF-branded content.

Nintendo of America confirmed the news to IGNcube this morning, but offered no further details. Square US said it could neither confirm nor deny the news, but indicated it would have an official comment soon.

IGNcube will have more details on this exciting agreement as it develops.

It's pretty big news for videogame players who used to own an SNES and remember the days when Squaresoft made Final Fantasy games for it. In other news, pigs can now fly and hell has frozen over. :D

2. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    This is exciting news. Now the question is will we see the actual Square games on the Cube or just this FF spin off company's games.

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are the best games in Existence...

What joyous news...

4. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I just hope Nintendo doesn't turn it into another Gamecube Legend of Zelda.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Stop Critisising!

*slaps Darth_Reign and throws rocks*

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

It has'nt even come out yet fool. Graphics don't mean everything. Why do people play Jet Set Radio? It's Gameplay! (and Good Music.) Why do people still play JK and MotS, despite the poor graphics? Why is Chrono Trigger still brilliant?

6. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Because Chrono Trigger is godly, that's why =P

I've kinda gotten used to the Final Fantasy series being on the PS Console though... S'why I bought a PS2.

7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Hehe, so they finaly caved in and decided to make some Cube games in order to get to the GBA. But where the hell is my FF Tactics and Bushido Blade. :(

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

8. rogue_five

rogue_five Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2002
    hey solocommand JSRF has awesome graphics. if nintendo would use that type of look for its cel-shading in zelda, zelda would look cool. like a japanese anime

9. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    It's not just the graphics that have changed it's the overall mood of the game. I just don't like kiddy games. Ocarina of Time was awesome and I was expecting what was seen in the demo with Link fighting Ganondorf, but instead they changed the entire mood of the game from adult to kiddie.

I've been hoping that it's a cruel joke. In response to graphics don't matter, they most certainly do matter. Sure gameplay comes first, but graphics are what set the scene for the story. Imagine MGS2 with Snake having a stupid grin on his face and everything drawn in WB cartoon style. It wouldn't really be that inspiring to play now would it?

Cel shading works with some games and I can understand Nintendo's want to experiement with it. But do they really need to do this with their flagship title?

10. Captain-Atreides

Captain-Atreides Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    mmmmmmmmmmm im guessing FF 1-6 could fit on one GC disc.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

11. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Personaly I'm starting to get tired of Zelda. It's basicly the same game with some tweaks and different graphics. How long will they keep shoveling out same thing untill people finally have had enough. The same with Square FF needs to die. The series is stagnant. You would think that with the new hardware available that Square would be able to do some really interesting things but instead they stick with the same boring gameplay. [face_plain]

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

12. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    That's true, RBE. LttP was the last good Zelda game. The N64 games are just eye candy.

13. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I couldn't care less. I have a PS2, a GC, and a GBA already, so I'm all set! Bwahaha.

And hey! Don't insult FFVII, IX, or X! They were awesome. But you can issult VIII all you want. That game is eeeeeeeevil.

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    At this point the only FF game that intrest me is a new FF Tactics game. After playing the first one and games like BG, Daggerfall and Fallout I never want to go back to the limited playstyle of FF's tedious random encounters, pre-determined characters, or simplistic menu driven combat you can't even move in combat, bah. Whats the point of fighting as a group if I can't outflank my opponents or use some advanced combat tactics. [face_plain] I just can't go back to that anymore. Now the only things I'm hoping for from Square are a new bushido blade, Tobal or Tactics games.

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well.... to each their own, I suppose....

But I find FFX addictive. I can't stop playing it.

16. Epyon-X

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm hoping for a new FF Tactics from Square, too, and also a new Xenogears (they're making one for the PS2, Xenosaga, which will hopefully be ported over sometime).

17. Yodimus_Prime

Yodimus_Prime Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't like RPGs much, but what IS affecting my decision to go with a game cube instead of such things as PS2 (never! I will never break down and buy one!) or microsoft's little investment, is Sega's choice to move sonic over to Nintendo.

Always wanted to see a Sonic vs. Mario game. : D

18. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    I think games like the entire Mana series (Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Legend of Mana) are where they should go with the Final Fatnasy games (combat wise, that is). I'm personally a big fan of FFX, even though FF3 (FF6j) is hands-down the greatest one ever made.
    The stories that they come up with are definitely great still, but the combat does need a bit of a revision.

I have to say though... I'm kinda mad that they decided to move back to Nintendo. The Gamecube seems to be geared more toward the 5-13 year old gamer (Luigi's Mansion? C'mon!), while the PS2 seems to be more aimed at the mature gamer (hence why a majority of their games are rated mature, or at least teen, specifically the better ones).
    And even though the graphics on the Gamecube are "better", they're more childish than a good RPG needs. I have to agree with the people who've posted before me - the Zelda games for the 64 (and most likely the Gamecube also) are just eye candy. The entire Final Fantasy series has, at least the more recent ones, been based on the concept that it doesn't need to look great to be a great game.

I just hope that Square knows that they're doing... and I'm pissed 'cuz now I gotta go out an get a bloody Gamecube!

19. Epyon-X

Sep 26, 2001
    DT: Read the article. They're not Nintendo-exclusive; they're still making games for Sony as well as Nintendo.

And even though the graphics on the Gamecube are "better", they're more childish than a good RPG needs.

Resident Evil for the GC

[image=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2001/vgnews/111501/residentevilgc/re_screen008.jpg]

Not too childish to me. It's not like Square will suddenly have to "dumb" down their games graphics because it's on the GC. :p

20. Captain-Atreides

Captain-Atreides Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    "even though FF3 (FF6j) is hands-down the greatest one ever made."

Which first came out on a nintendo console ;)

"the more recent ones, been based on the concept that it doesn't need to look great to be a great game."

the recent installments main selling points have been the "kewl movie parts"

21. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I enjoy pretty graphics as much as anyone else, but if the story sucks, it's all eye candy. I don't think I would have stuck with FFX for 60 hours just for the graphics.

22. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    SoloCommand: "It has'nt even come out yet fool. Graphics don't mean everything. Why do people play Jet Set Radio? It's Gameplay! (and Good Music.) Why do people still play JK and MotS, despite the poor graphics? Why is Chrono Trigger still brilliant?"

Yes, but Nintendo has fallen down on the gameplay/depth/lastability aspects way too many times for me to hold out much hope for the GC. I hope Square will be able to help with the lastability (I still havent completed FFVII), but Nintendo are known for hobbling developers with restrictive licensing. Just like another certain company we know of (eh, Mister Lucas..? :p ). And as for modifiablity..?

Help me IBM-PC, you're my only hope. -fzzt- Help me IBM-PC, you're my only hope. -fzzt- Help me IBM-PC, you're my only hope.

23. Zarin

Zarin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 23, 2002
    Final Fantasy games are the best :) They all have the interesting gameplay and beautiful music. I have parts IV-IX on my PSX. Overall my fav genre on consoles are the RPGs. And yes, graphics mean little in games.

24. Constipated_Cow

Constipated_Cow Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Since I don't like RPG's TOO much, I don't really care.. I am however happy that Nintendo will gain more popularity and respect.

25. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    This is the coolest thing I've heard in such a long time. I was so upset when Square left Nintendo for the Playstation. It's about time they came home.

Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.