main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Square & Nintendo Reunited

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Epyon-X, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
  2. The_Cloaked_One

The_Cloaked_One Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    This is truely a sad day for Squaresoft. Final Fantasy might have been born to Nintendo but it was at its greatest for Sony. Sony resurrected the series and made it to the legendary series it is today. Nintendo isnt a bad system, its just that Final Fantasy is too good for Nintendo. I agree with whomever said that "I hope they dont turn it into a Zelda" or something like that, mainly because Zelda is the only game that really resembles an adult RPG for the N64. Nintendo is known for catering to kids and children while PS and FF are for teens and adults. It will be interesting how Nintendo uses Squaresoft. I think it will be the end of the FFs if Squaresoft signs a contract with only Nintendo. If it is a multi-console game, then I can guarentee the PS version will sell more and be better than the Nintendo version. Nintendo has alot of fun games but when it comes to challenging, its not all that good. I think Squaresoft should have stayed with PS only. :( *sigh* I wonder what Squaresoft is thinking.....

3. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    "Haha"

I love penny arcade.

4. Constipated_Cow

Constipated_Cow Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    FF III was the best.. 2nd best was 7...

Nintendo made Square what they are today.. If it wasn't for Nintendo.. Square actually FF actually wouldn't exist. It's called Final Fantasy because...

FROM NINTENDOJO:

"A new series had sent Square down the hole financially-- Enix's Dragon Quest. Square's potentially final game was named quite appropriately: 'Final Fantasy.'"

5. The_Cloaked_One

Feb 27, 2002
    I beg to differ. Nintendo did make it, but did NOT make it what it is today. Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics made it what it is today. Along with the success of FF8. The only failure FF games for the PS was FF9 and that fighting game. FF7 resurrected Squaresoft and the FF series. Final Fantasy was just an average to a better than average game for Nintendo. The Playstation tested the limits and made them spectacular and into the legendary name-class as Mario and Zelda.

6. Epyon-X

Epyon-X Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Penny Arcade rocks. :)

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "FF7 resurrected Squaresoft and the FF series. Final Fantasy was just an average to a better than average game for Nintendo"

I disagree with your "better than average" statement. Final Fantasy II (or IV if you prefer) remains the greatest game ever. FFIII (or VI) was really good, as was FFV, which I've only played a little of.

As for resurrecting Squaresoft, do you have numbers to prove it? FFII and FFIII were probably two of the best selling games ever for SNES. FFVII was just hugely hyped, as it was a while between its release and FFIII, and it would have been just as huge regardless of what system it was on.

(I hope this made sense. I'm really tired and not too focused)

Amazing.

8. The_Cloaked_One

Feb 27, 2002
    lol sure, give me a little while and I can find numbers, stats, and units sold.

FF7 wasnt hyped that much because it was the first one for the PS and they didnt know how it was going to go. Although, I do remember the overhype of FF8. FF8 was good, but they didnt need to hype it up THAT much. Maybe you like FF2 or 3, but I dont seem to recall them EVER popular. Yes I infact had the SNES and my sister (oddly enough) still has it. Making the assumption that an SNES game is better than FF7, FF8, FF9, or FFT is quite premature. I would bet that more than 80% of the people would take FF7 or FF8 over the early ones. If you would like, I can take a poll on a VERY popular and reliable FF site. I can post the answers on here too if you would like.

9. rogue_five

rogue_five Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2002
    nintendo cant change up the graphics of the game. they dont make it... square does.

10. Captain-Atreides

Captain-Atreides Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    "This is truely a sad day for Squaresoft."

really? i don't see them crying :)

"Final Fantasy might have been born to Nintendo but it was at its greatest for Sony."

no :p

"Sony resurrected the series and made it to the legendary series it is today."

it already was legendary among gamers the PS made it mainstrem which is not good(well thats what i think)

"its just that Final Fantasy is too good for Nintendo."

3 games on the NES,3 games on the GB and 4 games on the SNES :p

"Nintendo is known for catering to kids and children"

catering to children is a bad thing???

"while PS and FF are for teens and adults."

the Playstation console and FF games are for all ages

"If it is a multi-console game, then I can guarentee the PS version will sell more"

maybe

"and be better than the Nintendo version."

how will it be better??? cause you want it to?? :p

"Nintendo has alot of fun games"

true

"but when it
    comes to challenging, its not all that good."

hehe obviously the only nintendo console you've played are the N64 and most likely a
    little bitty of the ole gameboy cause every has....

11. Epyon-X

Sep 26, 2001
    nevermind

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Actualy Nintendo had nothing to do with Squares success. Square was a third party developer the only thing that Nintendo had to do with it was the platform for the game to be played on the NES. Square has sold more copies of their games on Sonys platforms then Nintendo. In fact the large part of Squares success comes from FFVII. The huge marketing campaign that they used with all those lame FMV commercials suckered in tons of sales.

FFVII was origionily going to be done on the N64 but due to it's hardware and the cartridge format that Nintendo chose to use Square was forced to go to the PSX to make it. It's nintendos fault that they lost Square, if they had had a clue they would have known that CD's were the way to go.

One thing that some of you are missing though is that this news dosen't mean that Square will be making alot of games for the Cube. Expect around one or two games to be made for the Cube the rest of the development is going towards the GBA. There are going to be tons of ports of old games. It's a Square affiliate that will be working on the Cube and GBA not Squares main development house. The PS2 will still be the place to go for Square titles.

More On The Agreement
    >>>The company said that it's currently preparing to release games for the Game Boy Advance through a new development house tentatively named Game Designers Studio, which will be headed up by Akiyoshi Kawazu. Kawazu previously worked on early games in the Final Fantasy series in addition to the SaGa role-playing series. The new development house will receive capital from Hiroshi Yamauchi's Fund Q to start development on "a new type of game." Square also reaffirmed that this will not affect PlayStation 2 development in any way and that the PlayStation 2 will remain the main platform for both Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XII.<<<

Don't hold your breath for any real Cube support, the GBA is where their intrest lie. I still say that they are overated. I like to play games not be forced to watch movies. :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

13. Epyon-X

Sep 26, 2001
    Hopefully I'll finally get the FFVI port I've been waiting for. :)

14. Captain-Atreides

Captain-Atreides Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    "lol sure, give me a little while and I can find numbers, stats, and units sold."

if ff1 sold badly why was ff2 released? if ff3 sold badly why was ff4 released? why ff5 sold badly why was ff6 released? if ff6 sold badly why was ff7 released?

"Making the assumption that an SNES game is better than FF7, FF8, FF9, or FFT is quite premature."

eat me

"I would bet that more than 80% of the people would take FF7 or FF8 over the early ones."

you're both right and wrong ff7 always gets the top spot but ff6 always beats ff8

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Maybe you like FF2 or 3, but I dont seem to recall them EVER popular"

I always recall them being immensely popular, as one of the signs of the popularity of old video games tends to be the price of buying them today, and FFII and FFIII are still almost as expensive as they were when they came out.

"Making the assumption that an SNES game is better than FF7, FF8, FF9, or FFT is quite premature."

It's not an assumption, it's an opinion. I've only played about halfway through FFVII, but I just don't find it good enough and I get bored. I still play FFII and FFIII at least once a year. I haven't played the others, as I don't have PS or PSII.

"I would bet that more than 80% of the people would take FF7 or FF8 over the early ones. If you would like, I can take a poll on a VERY popular and reliable FF site. I can post the answers on here too if you would like."

Other people's opinions aren't really going to change the fact that I think FFII is the best.

Amazing.

16. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    FF Tactics is the best of the lot followed by VII (mini games are great) and then VI. Of course FFVI appeared on the PSX aswell along with FFV and FFIV so whats your point? Square has had more success on the PSX hence the reason they are keeping the PS2 as their main platform. :cool: Now wheres my Bushido Blade and Tobal....

Note: If your going to bring up FFVIII to try and show why they belong with Sony, don't. That game was complete and utter human excrement. And thats not opiniion it's 100% pure fact. All copies of this game should be burned and the devs tared and feathered and then dragged through broken glass. :eek:

-----signature-----

17. The_Cloaked_One

Feb 27, 2002
    Rabid - I dunno, I heard 9 was ALOT worse. FF8 had the best FMVs though. :D

18. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    FF8 was definitley worse than 9. I loved 9! But it wasn't the story I didn't like in 8, it was the system. Junctioning was way too hard, and the way the bosses leveled up was just insane.

19. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Hehe, FFVIII felt like the whole game was made around FMV's. You could see them coming a mile away. It was so frustrating because you knew no matter what you said or did you had absolutely no impact on the story. Thats my whole beef with the FF series and alot of the japanese "RPGs". Not only that but the story was horrible not to mention all the lame characters, ack! It was like Beverly hills 90210 with swords. I thought that it was pretty funny that all the monsters in the game world came from the moon. These things can survive the vacume of space, the intense heat of reentry and then the impact from the fall to the planet but if you hit them with nunchuks or your fist they can die. [face_laugh]

I only got half way through FFIX before I quit out of boredom. The story wasn't as bad as FFVIII but it was still kind of lame and predictable. At least the characters were not as bad as VIII though.

-----signature-----

20. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Here's something interesting. It appears that there is no Gamecube plans in the works yet. Their just going to be porting GBA titles like mad.

Further info On Square

>>>The objective of the new company is to develop GBA titles, so GameCube titles are not a part of the plan," he said. "But because the Game Boy Advance and GameCube allow for link connectivity, we may make use of such a feature in the future."<<<

-----signature-----

21. Epyon-X

Sep 26, 2001
    Thanks for the update, RBE.

Murakawa also reaffirmed the news that Final Fantasy Tactics is a likely candidate but said that nothing has been finalized.

//crosses fingers

22. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I can tell you I'm happy about the GBA possibilities. Perhaps now we can get ported versions of final fantasy 1 remake, plus the two remakes of unreleased final fantasy 2 and 3 that never made it to america in the first place.

ff1
    [image=http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff1/screens/ff1wsc07.jpg]

[image=http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff1/screens/ff1wsc30.jpg]

ff2
    [image=http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff2/screens/emp01.jpg]

[image=http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff2/screens/btl04.jpg]

Then there was that remake of final fantasy legend 1 that looks pretty cool too.

FFL1(saga 1)
    [image=http://www.rpgamer.com/games/saga/ffl1/screens/ffl_01.jpg]

[image=http://www.rpgamer.com/games/saga/ffl1/screens/ffl_02.jpg]
    Really it's the old time square games that hold more interest to me then there slick interactive rpg movies, that they make now.

23. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    This is indeed great news, IMO.

Those are beautiful pics, Valiento. I truly hope the first ports we see are the Wonderswan remakes to the GBA.

Are there any translated Wonderswan roms yet?

"Final Fantasy II (or IV if you prefer) remains the greatest game ever.

Amazing, you don't know how much I agree with that. I have played Final Fantasy IV over and over more times than I have any video or computer game.

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Those are beautiful pics, Valiento."

Indeed they are, :).

"I truly hope the first ports we see are the Wonderswan remakes to the GBA."

As do I, :).

25. Clonetrooper-X

Clonetrooper-X Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    I be glad to get a GC soon! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.