main
side
curve

VIDEO Squid Pro Go: Splatoon!

Discussion in 'Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 29, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's out today (alongside the Splatoon Amiibos). Whose ready to splat the world?

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Curator: Art&RPF | Oceania RSA | CR NSW star 5 Staff Member Administrator

Mar 9, 2002
    Yes! I caved and picked up the eShop copy. Used that small discount from using the Global Testfire demo.

I played a couple of rounds (about 20. A case of 'one more round' and end up being several) so far and been having a lot of fun. I really love the design of the characters and to see other player's characters hanging out in the lobby and their Miiverse posts as speech bubbles is a nice touch. Only played for a few hours and tried out the single player briefly. Looking forward to sinking more time into it.

Not too worried about the amiibo for it though might pick one up if I come across them.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Still gotta wait a couple days for my GS Amiibo preorders to arrive but I have the 3 pack in there. They seem to unlock more content than usual for an Amiibo so I'll probably crack that one open. I'm looking forward to trying the Squid's squid mech levels.

But, yeah, this is definitely a "one more match tonight...and there's the sun!" Type of game.

Still ironing out my aiming controls though- I've gotten more precise and can take out enemies more often now but it's still a but of wild flailing involved. That said, I've found the motion controls are better than the optional monitoring controls (which seem to lack precision even it requires less calibration).

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Curator: Art&RPF | Oceania RSA | CR NSW star 5 Staff Member Administrator

Mar 9, 2002
    Hmmm… maybe I should try and hunt some of the Amiibo down.

Come home not long ago from a long day and started up the game again, on to my 7th match now. So good.

Another thing to keep in mind is the specials and when it has charged up. That bubble in the standard kit comes in handy as a shield for a quick get away or turn the tables on your attacker.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There has been a small update with Ranked Battles (Splat Zone, sounds a bit like Domination mode in the ACIII multiplayer where have to hold territory), new map (Port Mackeral) and new weapon based off the NES Zapper.

Just reached Level 10 so I'll give Ranked Battles a go tomorrow. It seems like there is more risk/reward in that mode.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm at level 7 right now. I'm liking the zapper (leaks show that the orange zapper 89 will be out eventually- I wonder if it'll handle differently or just have a different special or sub?). I love Port Mackerel so far.

Took down the first few single player levels and the first boss- I'm digging that quite a bit. I'm hoping by playing through these ill do better in multiplayer afterwards.

My GS Amiibos arrived today so I'm looking forward to cracking the 3-pack open.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I think the orange zapper may have different handling, whether a spread shot or something.

The single player is quite good. Kinda reminds me a bit of Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy. So far I've cleared two bosses and up to the third area.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm at the same point in the single player mode. I'm going to hit those up quickly because the Amiibo challenges are restricted to the Octo levels you've completed (they're the same levels just using either different weapons or with a time or ink limit- the Kracken levels are a blast!).

With the Amiibos, each set of 3 challenges unlocks a boss fight remix and beating a set grants you part of that Amiibo's exclusive gear/weapon as a reward.

So far I've gotten the mech helmet from the squid's first set- combined with the (non-Amiibo-exclusive) .52 cal, I've done quite well.

Also, some tips I've seen people pass around: you can super jump at any time, not just after a respawn (so it makes for a good exit strategy.), paint on walls does not count towards totals- only the ground (so I've been wasting a lot of time and ink it seems...) and if you see a Krakken, run away- but monitor it because an over zealotous user might run up isolating themselves in enemy territory without a solid paint track to escape in, making them easier to pick off.

So far the highest win percentage I've gotten is just under 75%, while the slimmest margin of loss? 0.1%!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Tomorrow is the first Splatfest, cats vs dogs (or pop vs rock depending on your country). Should be pretty interesting- winning side participants will get a snail shell that will add an ability slot to gear or clear out it's existing abilities.

Hopefully the servers will hold up.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I love what they did to the hub, turned it into a night time dance party with Callie and Marie performing. Even the theme of the maps reflected that with night mode and such.

My region had the Rock vs Pop… had to pick Rock :p It felt like there were not enough Pop teams about when I was playing as I mostly got paired up against other Rock teams. I hope they do more special events like this.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I can't imagine pop getting enough teams for something like this. Apparently the dog side outnumbered the cat side but it didn't seem too lopsided (especially since the cat teams I fought were really, really good- I swear I played for the final two hours and only won 3 times, it was brutal).

Managed to get up to Dog Champion but there wasn't enough time to get Dog King- my work schedule prevented anything more than playing 1 hour 9-10am before work (where I did have a decent win ratio) and the final two hours 1am-3am.

Final Results were 38% vs 62% cats/dogs for popularity, 51/49 for most wins, for a 140-160 victory (wins x2 + popularity) for the dogs.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Surprised that dogs outnumber the cats. Yeah, some of the matches were intense and in some cases it felt like I was on my own. Glad that each match adds to your progress regardless.

I ended up with the Super Rock title in the end. Wished I had more time to sink into the matches to achieve a higher one but am satisfied with that.

Final results 64% against 36% Rock/Pop votes and for the most wins, with 53/47 making it 170-130. Rock wins.
    Didn't notice this before but there is a glowing light at the top of the ink tank that notifies you if you got enough ink for your secondaries. Pretty neat.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, nice catch.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another Splatfest is coming up this month (since the first was supposed to happen in mid/late June, it seems like these will usually be monthly). For NA, it'll be roller coasters vs water slides.

Also a new stage will be hitting shortly- one that apparently puts the bases on tall towers with a deep gap between them.

15. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 2, 2015
    Moray Towers is very interesting. A map that definitely puts chargers to good use (especially the E-Liter 3K series) and encourages lots of vertical progression.

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've been meaning to hop on and check that out as I think it is a great idea that they are playing more with the vertical element for this map.

I've missed out on the second Splatfest :( the choices were Sleeping or Eating… kinda hard to decide which one I'd pick… probably sleep.

I have been seeing the triple amiibo pack about in stores, kinda curious whether it is worth getting for the single player challenges. From my understanding it is a remixed version of the single player campaign levels, isn't it?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I only had about a half hour to play in the second Splatfest (roller coasters vs water slides) unfortunately- was able to catch the very start around 2am (which was surprising as I thought it wouldn't start until 3am EST), but by time I got home from my jobs it was over. Managed to go up one rank at heady in that time.,

The Amiibo challenges are fun- yes, they're the same stages from the single player mode but the new challenges make you play the stages very differently. They range from easy-but -very-fun (play as a Krakken for the whole stage and just bulldoze your way through enemies) to challenging-but-fun (play stages with a limited amount of ink, forcing you to be strategic with what enemies you engage and what you splat for movement access, etc).

I think they're a good way to add levels to the game without denying levels to those who don't have them.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally got a chance to try out both Moray Towers (love it) and Rainmaker (matches last longer than they did under tower control).

Next Splatfest will be sponsored- it'll be Autobots vs Decepticons.

Transform and rise up!

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've been meaning to get back into it but a certain Wii VC title been occupying my time when I am playing…

Transformers Splatfest… wonder if we get exclusive gear from it and hope there be more down the track.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think people will be sad to lose the t-shirt afterwards, heh.

A shame I can't use my armor during it- I'd fit right in!

[​IMG]

22. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Definitely didn't see that Splatfest coming. I know nothing about the series so I'll just go with Autobots.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Turns out the choices for my regions is "Singing" or "Dancing"… I guess it depends on the mood… so I haven't voted yet. I hope to participate when I get back tomorrow afternoon and hopefully be in time for a few rounds.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

July 8th brings the Squid Sisters to Amiibo, as well as color variants for the existing 3 colors. The sisters unlock songs.

Haven't had a chance to play for a few months- partly busy at school and partly a fear that I wouldn't be able to stop playing if I did ;).But looking forward to playing it some more over the summer and try out the newer stages that hit awhile back.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I was looking for this thread earlier so I could post up Callie and Marie's live concert!

Yeah, it has been a while since I've last touched Splatoon. I might get the amiibos for the extra missions and songs

The2ndQuest likes this.