main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Squid Pro Go: Splatoon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , May 29, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done the hologram concert thing more- you could bring out Link on the ocarina, DK on the bongos, etc.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That would be awesome and has potential. They could do the catsuit cast of Mario characters from Super Mario 3D World and do Big Band performance and even bring out Lulu and the Indigo-gos. Smash Bros. Concert anyone?

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The final Splatfest is coming up on July 22nd-24th, Callie vs Marie. It'll be broken up into separate regional Splatfests totals that will get combined for the final results.

This also marks the end of post-release support for Splatoon content, sadly (but then, I haven't had a chance to play the most recent maps yet anyways, so plenty to still enjoy in the game). Servers will continue, however.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    One of those games that I've wanted, ever since I picked up a Wii U - just waiting and waiting for a sale price of any kind, digital or hard copy. Still retailing at 60 bucks - must be a pretty special game!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo tends to strive for "evergreen" titles, so Nintendo 1st party titles tend to stay at full price for years unless they get a Selects/Player's Choice/etc budget rerelease.

So games like Splatoon, MK8, Smash Bros, etc aren't often subjected to the "price drop after a month" tendencies of other games.

Case in point, if you go into most stores like Target, etc you'll still find Metroid: Other M (a Wii title, not Wii U) retailing at full price- and that came out six years ago (and wasn't even that well liked of a game).

There are exceptions but usually it means the games were either a rare bad game (Amiibo Festival) or they're a pack-in bonus or other promo.

Most of the time though, the only discounts you'll find on them will be the eShop versions. But for physical copies, you've probably still got a wait ahead of you.

Unless Nintendo does a holiday clearance sale on U titles, I wouldn't expect Splatoon to drop in price until the NX launch (or just afterwards)- or if a Splatoon port ends up being a NX launch title as has been rumored.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting, good to know. I suppose once in a blue moon, you'll get a Mario Smash Tennis that bottoms out and drops, but prices are pretty consistent.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

From the Switch stream last night. What I find interesting is that they changed the Inklings character design- the character designs usually don't change that much between entries.

Also reminds me i really need to set a day aside to play some more of the original. There's still a few maps I haven't played on yet,

EDIT-

(Splatoon 2 is at 1:53:38)

Watching the Treehouse Live video, they point out that the Dualies give you two independent targeting reticles. Additionally there's now a dodge roll move when you're firing your ink. So if you come under attack you can dodge and retaliate (as the Dualies also converge reticals for attack after doing it).

They also mention that all of the specials in the game are brand new- none are returning from the first game. They show off ones like a Charger phaser-like attack beam that shoots through the walls of the entire level, a splattershot mortar one that fires 4 homing missiles out to all enemies within your target, a Roller one that can be used mid-super jump to create an offensive impact splatter upon your landing to help opponents under fire. Rollers can also implement a more narrow-but-further ink splat by doing their ink throw in mid-jump, to give you more precision.

Storywise, this game is set 2 years after the events of the first game, but they're not revealing much in the way of story details at this point.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Really wish you could change your weapons and what not in the lobby or before a new game.. Instead of backing out then finding a new lobby..

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they did it because they wanted to discourage people from swapping weapons to better counter the ones the opposing team was using. As a result, you're forced to improve your own skills and strategies instead of just playing a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Although I do agree that it was a little annoying when you were first starting out and trying out different weapon combos to get a feel for them. A better training environment (perhaps with bots) would have solved that issue, though.

But who knows? Maybe they'll change that for Splat2.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Demo for the Salmon Run co-op mode.

Besides looking to be pretty fun (reminds me a little of the Metroid game in Nintendoland a bit) I like how this seemingly embraces the dark subtext of the original game's storyline (such as the moaning voices heard towards the end of the game). In this case, the implication that is the Inklings who are the invasive species, stealing/harvesting the eggs of the native species who are only trying to defend their territory to use as fuel.

And then there's the whole "Grizzco" bear is likely eating the salmon eggs aspect...

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, after the chamionship finals yesterday they announced that the Octo expansion was dropping today. Apparently includes around 80 stages of content. There's also an amiibo 3-pack on the horizon as well.

[​IMG]

What's interesting is that the expansion basically takes place in an area trapped underground, so time has kinda been frozen down there, so it's essentially full of 80's references.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I cannot wait to try it out, though not sure when I will get the chance to.

Not sure if anyone else has seen the Off The Hook concert from a few months ago. I love how they do these things.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Happy 1st Anniversary! Splatfest… Squid or Octopus?

I think it is neat how you can be the Octoling for those matches if you sided with the Octopus. Has anyone tried the DLC pack yet?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've only watched the demos they played during Treehouse at E3, sadly (I need a Switch! :_|), but I did preorder the Octoling 3-pack ammibos (as well as Wolf, Ridley and the Shovel Knight 3-pack) :D.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo posted video of another live concert from last year the other week:

Post made July 2018. 3-pack finally shipped a year and a half later. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Now we know why Xeno 3 was moved.

EDIT- And the Octo Expansion DLC for Splat2 has been added to the Expansion Pass!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022