main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Criticism Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’ve heard the FO described as scary in the same way that less competent dictators can be. The kind who throw out the rule book and do things their own way. The kind who promote less qualified people into important roles. The kind who have big egos and make things personal and are highly emotional. The kind who reward nepotism instead of efficiently choosing the best candidates. The kind who do things most wouldn’t do and yet still keep getting what they want and doing damage to the world.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/18/from-vietnam-to-trump-the-last-jedi-as-protest-film

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...order-younger-take-evil-empire-old/951007001/

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Since we have no idea what the relationship between the First Order and the Empire actually is ("rose from the ashes"... as a remnant? As fans? As copycats?) I have looked at the First Order as a group of immature yet fanatical neo-Nazis attempting to emulate the Third Reich. That makes them sloppier from an organizational standpoint but still dangerous in ideology and activity.

3. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I just imagine them standing around Kylo in that rainy night scene AND holding the ignited lightsabers too.
    Do not underestimate the power of the lightsaber meaning and visual.

I dont care about KoR cause they look like typical Boba Fettes fodders. Give em the lightsabers - and you gonna question both their background, look and powers. Youd be eager to watch them fighting.

Honestly, if theyd show now the teaser with just a glimpse of all KoR igniting their lightsabers, id watch that effing 9Episode.
    [​IMG]

I wont care the previous two movies were garbage (in my opinion), id watch it just to see the massive Jedi vs Sith fight.

Are you even fun, Lucasfilm?

Luke02, 11-4D and kalzeth like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    That’s how I see it as well. The Empire was built from decades of existing military training and schools and recruitment.

The FO has some old survivors like Cannady and Peavy but it’s mostly the children of that group and the stolen children who comprise the FO.

There seems to have been considerable financial interest by those who profited most by the Empire (almost like the Koch brothers or something) and wanted another movement like it so they have a lot of great weapons and significant amount of capital but clearly lack the maturity and veteran savvy and military wisdom that used to define the old Empire.

Their troopers at least seem to shoot a little more accurately (Jakku) and can hold their own a little better in hand-to-hand combat (Finn/FN-2199). So, if they’ve made improvements anywhere beyond tech it seemed to be mostly Phasma & Hux’s efforts with the stolen kids (or at least some of them anyway).

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have mentally mapped it out this way, as well. Since we will probably never be given any sort of canon info on Snoke, I have veered toward believing he had nothing to do with the Empire but, rather, would be more in the vein of Stacy Keach's character in American History X. Fanatical cult leader who uses all of the propaganda and imagery of an actual historic military regime but has no actual connection with them.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    My theory on Snoke is that he ran a gladitorial tournament that wealthy people used to come and watch in the outer regions and was contacted by Hux’s father to help make a new guard for for FO leadership similar to the Emperor’s old guard to protect the leader. I imagine him hiding his Force powers initially and seeming more like a wealthy promoter of this tournament with an office clad in red. People would come in and present their sons and daughters or apprentices and hype them up to him as worthy of becoming part of the entertainment. This is where Snoke’s theatricality comes from in part but he also hates having to put it on for people. Snoke learns of the new Jedi temple Luke Skywalker is building. He’s interested in possibly having a Jedi in his tournament. He arrives with the guard who are then dressed less ceremoniously. They still seem cool to the young people watching. Luke tells him to leave and Snoke persists on the advantages and tells him he can make a sizable donation to the Temple. Luke is stern that he must leave. Ben Solo is excited by the idea of a tournament and this conflict between Snoke & Luke. Snoke makes eye contact with him, smiles and leaves. From that point on Snoke sneakily starts communicating with Ben via the Force and eventually tells him about his grandfather.

Snoke brings the Praetorian guard as security to the FO who are all former employees in the tournament and respected champions. Snoke kills some of the FO leadership in ways that don’t lead back to him and then makes his move. The guard stay loyal to him because he’s looked after them since they were young and rewarded them with luxuries.

After turning them and leading to the temple massacre, Snoke brings Ben Solo and the students to watch a tournament and then to the training area where the guard practiced. Shows them the weapon room. Tells them that unlike the Temple they can take anything they want and do what they want because they’re special. They each choose new weapons except for Ben. Ben doesn’t like any of them. Snoke encourages him to build a new saber in Vader’s honor since he’s ready to lead.

7. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    We do have some info on Snoke from the TLJ adult novel.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I am already counting down the days until the current books are discarded for the benefit of future filmmakers. I shouldn't have to read a book to understand the entire power dynamic of the universe which the film I am watching takes place in.

DBPirate, Jo Lucas, Luke02 and 11 others like this.
  9. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Those SWTOR trailers are exactly how they should do it. “Return” is even better. That fight is up there with the Maul/Qui Gon one. I don’t think we ever saw a proper two on two fight in the saga. Master and apprentice vs master and apprentice. May be too late to get that in 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    IMO they should save that for a KOTOR-like trilogy (or movie series) by hopefully the GOT-people. It is their best chance right now with the markets who weren`t enticed by their first exposure to SW with the ST. Multiple lightsabers igniting - green/blue on one side and red on the other - would be a great trailer shot for that.

Episode 9 has no chance whatsoever in those markets, no matter what the film does as neither the story nor the characters did take in those countries, so I don`t think it would be the best idea to waste such great future promo material in it. What they have to do with 9 is make a non-divisive film in the exisiting SW-markets. Which would IMO be done if you redeemed the OT. If that is possible. And nope, not via Kylo Ren.

eko32eko7, wobbits, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I definitely agree. It would have been great to see Luke and Rey in action. Overall, I like Rey better in TFA than in TLJ.

12. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The actual important tidbits in the books are relevant to material already decided upon. As the SG guy said - they’re working from a roadmap. There’s stuff in active development that won’t see the light of day for years. And “anything is subject to change” is simply a truism. Technically it’s possible that in 10 years the entire franchise will be rebooted. But “possible” =/= “probable.”

13. Harbour

Sep 15, 2015
    I think everyone like TFA Rey more)
    TLJ one isn't even a character - its the Idea, the tool, to influent Kylo Ren. Its hard to like the tool.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I like Rey, overall, but her character and intellect definitely get dragged all over the place in order to fulfill plot needs by Rian. Everything in TLJ seems to be focused solely on story destinations with little concern to the believability of how one arrives there. Rey really does come across as a prop for Kylo and Luke moreso than her own person at times.

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Poor Mark got himself back into shape for nothing it would seem.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Better health, longer life, etc.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's hope.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    What is this based on? Is there an announcement or rumor that he’s not in IX I haven’t heard about? Besides the assumptions from the shaving, I mean.

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I wish the world would speculate about me every time I shaved.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I’ve seen/heard no indication he won’t be in 9.

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I meant for TLJ/TFA actually. He doesn't even get to do much physically.

ChildOfWinds and AhsokaSolo like this.
  22. Harbour

Sep 15, 2015
    Well, he asked James Gunn if he need "unemployed" actor for GotG 3, and then said he won't be against to star in The Witcher TV series.
    Given he didnt participate in any big movies while shooting Ep7/8, it safe to assume that he isn't involve into Ep9 shootings, since he started to search for the new projects.
    Maybe I'm wrong of course.

23. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t think Mark would troll so much if he weren’t in it.

christophero30 likes this.
  24. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    That just sounds like more of the usual from him, continuing to take subtle pot shots at TFA/TLJ

11-4D likes this.
  25. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    More proof that its a clone in Ep8!

kalzeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.