main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST lightsaber battles. Mirror PT or OT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by therealharvywallbanger, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Should ST lightsaber battles resemble the OT or the PT? You have to pic one

1. OT

120 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. PT

146 vote(s)
    54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealharvywallbanger

therealharvywallbanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2013
    Good question. I could definately use some good man to man psychology but now that the PT has made lightsaber battles into a circus of sorts i am on the cuff on this one.

I liked OB1 vs Anakin don't get me wrong but I hated the ending. All the flips Sidious did was 'kind of' cool but he ended up getting his ass whipped by a new character in Mace Windu that in my opinion destroyed his mystic for ROTJ.

IMO just get the ending right and give us good phsycology throughout. Mix it up some, but I made this question as if you had to pic... I'm picking OT. I'd rather have feeling than flashy affects anyday.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Some of the PT lightsaber fights were a little over the top in terms of choreography. They looked like they were dancing more than fighting. I hate to dodge the question but I honestly would like to see some middle ground.

3. master joda

master joda Jedi Padawan

Oct 24, 2013
    Definitely PT. The OT's lightsaber battles looked very stiff and awkward, especially Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH. In the PT it was all about smashing blades really hard into each other with no finesse. However, I did not like how in the PT it seemed like Everyone was made to do an obligatory flip in the air. That should only be used occasionally for dramatic effect, not every stinking battle.

Episode Swag likes this.
  4. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013

Some of the PT lightsaber fights were a little over the top in terms of choreography. They looked like they were dancing more than fighting. I hate to dodge the question but I honestly would like to see some middle ground.

Beezer I wanted to dodge the question as well but I only gave myself 2 possible answers. Pic one. "Do it." haha​

Episode Swag and Skywalker Thing like this.
  5. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    Definitely PT. The OT's lightsaber battles looked very stiff and awkward, especially Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH. In the PT it was all about smashing blades really hard into each other with no finesse. However, I did not like how in the PT it seemed like Everyone was made to do an obligatory flip in the air. That should only be used occasionally for dramatic effect, not every stinking battle

Agreed if I'm taking the middle ground which is way better than the "high ground" if you get what I'm saying.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    How about a lightsaber fight between the two styles? ;):p

7. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    Then you get Dooku vs Anakin vs OB1. Wait a second... did you just make me think Lucas tied the two styles together already in episode 3? The force is very strong around here. Careful I must walk...

Episode Swag and Darkslayer like this.
  8. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Those aren't fights in the PT - They're dance battles with glow sticks. There's no tension to them, no threat and no recognisable style other than 'twirl'. My favourite lightsaber fight is Luke and Vader on Bespin. So tense, two different fighters with two different thought processes. Luke's trying to remained focused at first, very prim and proper... and Vader's just enjoying himself, messing with the new kid, measuring him. And slowly, Luke improvises and then gets worn down, while Vader get's surprised a few times and finally frustrated. The choreography and staging, not just the dialogue, is telling a story. I'm not averse to speeding them up a touch, but preferably not to the speed of the PT battles (I think the aforementioned battle was plenty fast). The second fight between the two (Jedi) has much less of that going on. But damn it, it still seemed like a fight. They were really smashing those blades into one another, aside from some awkward moves toward the end. I don't know why the quality dipped so much.

So, clearly, I voted OT. If they can bring in some of the flourish of the PT while maintaining all I've said above, them more power to them.

(Also, while his is tangential to the topic - make the lightsabers themselves more like those of the OT. So much more vibrancy and danger to them.)

11-4D, Abadacus, Dak Oolron and 7 others like this.
  9. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    Ladies and gentleman we have a winner. Perfectly said, we want a mix, but if we have to pic we side with the emotional side of the sabers crackling. OT all the way. Very well said. Very well.

10. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Well a a martial arts enthusiast I would go for both, I love the duel in TESB just the finesse style Bob Anderson used for vader (made him look very threatning) and ROTJ, I don't remember ow mant times I tried to imitate that duel. By the time of the PT coming out,my jaw flipping drop they used elements like kendo and fencing to things like wu shu. it definitely has a Hong Kong influence and it seems now its the new thing. I don't mind the speed of the Pt because of the actual intensity that the edi go to but I don't mind the speed of the OT too. So if tey can find a middle ground I'll be happy. I've been an advocate for lightsaber forms tbh, and this will be the way forward in my opinion. anyway seeing that Bob Anderson is no longer with us, heres hoping Nick Gaillard returns. Also I don't understand when people say the duel in the PT don't have emotion

VMeran and Episode Swag like this.
  11. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    OT. While I love the PT, I too felt the duels were a bit over the top.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Somewhere in the middle. They can pull back on the extreme choreography, but Luke probably ought to have advanced past his "blind, disoriented kid aiming for a piñata" style.

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Don't we have a thread on this lying around somewhere?

Dak Oolron and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It likely got all kinds of hacked up. Id bet Deep and powerful posts by the OT fans and never ending relentless replies from the PT fans that covered every angle.

15. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    curious about those that thing PT was too over the top.
    do you feel that way about the majority of them?
    was Maul/Kenobi over the top? I think that was the best one in the whole PT. I can see the Yoda stuff seeming over the top. can't really see how you avoid that.
    Skywalker/Kenobi was good, but too much close up shots. it made it tough to really get into what was actually going on.

Episode Swag and Darth Raiden like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    LOL @ Deep and powerful.

VMeran and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Indeed. The flair and grace he displayed in ESB went bye-bye in RotJ. If I had my druthers, every battle would be a mashup of PT Kenobi vs. Maul and OT Luke vs. Vader Round 1, with a dash of Luke going monkey-poo on Vader in RotJ for spicyness.

Every. Single. Battle.

Bob Octa, DarthIshyZ, VMeran and 8 others like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Indeed. Obi Wan/Maul +/- Luke/Vader (Bespin) are the ideal blueprint.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, I've said it quite a few times, but no harm in repeating it - all I want is the feel that each and every swing is an actual attempt to disarm, dismember, kill, maim or otherwise incapacitate the other guy. PT duels are really enjoyable, but after several viewings, some of the moves look like they're in there just to look cool and for no other purpose whatsoever.
    It is possible to have very cool looking moves that at the same time look like they're actually dangerous.

20. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001

this!

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And if the story invokes the Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu, I would suggest looking to "the Chateau Battle" from Matrix Reloaded. If you look closely, every member of the mook swarm is actively doing something besides politely waiting their turn to get punched in the mouf, and Neo is constantly moving and using his surroundings to keep from getting Zerg Rushed.

It's a gorgeous work of choreography.

22. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The PT style, of course. I don't want to see a Jedi fighting in amateurish OT style.

Grytpype and VMeran like this.
  23. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    How about bringing Sho and Kane Kosugi as sword choreographers then

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think we've had at least a couple... I found one in the archives, but it was pretty old so I just left it archived and left this one open for now.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I think Luke will have to carry on his two handed, broadsword style, but new sabre uses could use a mix of both styles

Dak Oolron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.