main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST lightsaber battles. Mirror PT or OT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by therealharvywallbanger, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Should ST lightsaber battles resemble the OT or the PT? You have to pic one

1. OT

120 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. PT

146 vote(s)
    54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    All I want is clean cinematography and no ridiculous things. No weird shaky camera effects (they give me headaches) or strange focus effects (also give me headaches) or obscuring the action with lens flares or light sources burning 70% of the frame. I don't mind people force jumping over other people if it looks natural, but I do mind needless twisting or saber clashing or twirling. I think the duels should return somewhat to the OT duels, but they should have the energy of the PT duels, minus the needless acrobatics.

EDIT: I also hate excessive extreme closeups.

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Story wise it depends on the skill of the combatants.

2 warriors at full skill was never seen in the OT. Fully trained fighters were seen in the PT so they knew what they were doing.

The different duels were coming from such different places based on the story and characters.

Since the movies always get bigger and not smaller I would find it unlikely that the same wouldn't happen again.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved the choreography of episode I.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh boy.

Do you really think that was what he was going for when shooting the movies?

5. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Kinda like when people argue that Anakins bad dialog and horrible acting around Padme rings true because he has no experience with girls......

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd like to see something even more stylized and fantastic than the Star Wars norm thus far. Something like an on-screen version of Ganner's last stand from the novel Traitor.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  7. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Luke wasn't very stylistic compared to the "Jedi-in-their-prime" PT era warriors. It's possible his fighting skills could have evolved since ROTJ, but I don't see him fighting like Yoda in the PT. But...I haven't seen the ST yet either! LOL!!

I'm in the camp of moving beyond Nick Gillard's choreography.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    Luke vs Vader at the end of RotJ is pretty fast paced and not clumsy and slow like Obi-Wan vs Vader in ANH. You can really see Luke's emotions at play. I don't want flashy style for no reason but I'm expecting duels more on the lines of the PT, but maybe without as much flipping and spinning around needlessly.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I was never bothered by the fight in ANH.

10. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I always thought that since Jedi and Sith are essentially supernatural beings, they'd be able to do all of their flips and such with ease. And when you consider this, they would be able to use these kinds of abilities in order to trick their opponents. When talking of the Maul flip shown a few pages back, I think he was trying to jump backwards to be able to move the thing to get that door open. I'm thinking him jumping backwards like that is slightly faster than simply running backwards. The flip is done because he is a force user that is very capable of doing those in his sleep even when compared to Kenobi/Anakin/whoever. Plus, his flips at times threw the others off guard.

Heck, even lightsaber twirling serves a purpose when done right. Towards the end of the duel, Maul slowly walks towards Kenobi while twirling his doublesaber incredibly fast. While he's doing this, Kenobi is carefully backing away from his opponent. In this example, Maul is using intimidating tactics to keep his distance. After all, no one wants to be near a swinging sword. The example in the Mustafar duel when both Kenobi and Anakin were swinging their blades to me represents that they are pretty much equals in their technique. And at that time they tried the same tactic, and ironically they did not hit each other while doing so.

Thing about the story telling in the OT fights, is that there was a full reason to do so with each fight. In every one of the OT fights, both combatants know each other and were directly involved in each others' life somehow. There was every need in the story for those fights to have a lot of drama. It also helps that in each of those fights, the ones who had the upper hand never tried to kill the one who was losing. There was always someone who was stalling the other.

In the newer movies, it was more about telling a story about the aspects of the fighters themselves as opposed to a current story during the fight. For example, the Maul duel showed us how powerful force users were at fighting. It also showed us a prime example of the Jedi defending peace against this menace, while the Sith attempts to take them down with sheer force. The Dooku fights as well as the Greivous fight were more or less done to eliminate generals/powerful figures on your enemy's side. Though even so there was a bit of emotion from Anakin and Obi during both Dooku fights.

The only real fights that I'm a bit unsatisfied with in the series are the Obi vs Vader in Hope and the fights with Sidious and Yoda. The one in Hope I am sad with for obvious reasons, but I wish Palpatine and Yoda fought more with their force abilities than their Sabers. It would have been cool I think if Yoda and Sidious blocked saber attacks with force lightning or force pushes. And every once in awhile they could pull out their sabers for a quick block or strike if they had to. But hey I'm not gonna lose sleep over those fights anytime soon.

What I'm most concerned about however is the way the fights are shot. I very very very much don't want to see any camera shaking going on ever like from Quantum of Solace for example. This type of action is way too common in films these days and it absolutely drives me bananas. It was even in Star Trek into Darkness at points and that is nuts. Nor do I want to see short and numerous shots cut together in rapid fashion like that Kingdom of Heaven video shown a few pages back. It was a good fight itself, but the way it was shot made it a little annoying to follow for me.

Star Wars films have always shot in that classic style of action. One in which is filmed in a few good long shots and some short ones smartly so that you easily follow the entirety of the action. Also, it's cut in a way that feels so crisp and fun to watch. I do think that JJ will try to emulate this style of cinematography over his own though. This is because Star Trek doesn't really have a consistent cinematographic style when comparing all the movies and shows. Though Star Wars certainly does, and I am sure he will do what he can to hold that up. If not, I will extremely disapointed.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    In what sense do you mean? The actual real production of the films, the story of the films and then the over time build up of both of those things and the interaction between them over time and the way stories develop.

Vader was not Luke's father in Star Wars. That was not at all the plan. Then he did become the father after. Just as Vader was not a cyborg when shooting the movies just like Stormtroopers he wore his outfit but could take it off and while he had some scarring on his face he was just a man.

Jedi did not have superpowers in Star Wars. Their power was mental in terms of making people think things like they were choking or these weren't the right droids etc. The superpowers version came in ESB.

By the same line of reasoning the OT has no Sith in the story. Vader is a fallen Jedi and the Emperor is a Dark Side user.

What was gone for when shooting the movies and what happened afterwards and how things developed are different all the time in these movies.

So in terms of the story developed that is how it works.

VMeran and ezekiel22x like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan's body vanishes completely, instantly, when Vader cuts him down. And he continues talking to Luke.

While the Admiral Motti scene could be interpreted as "he only thinks he's choking" I don't think that fits well with the novelization.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yea, just that your interpretation doesn't make any sense. Obi and Yoda wouldn't have sent Luke to the Emperor and relied on him so much if they didn't trust in his powers just like Vader wouldn't have survived (and hunted down Jedi) if he weren't powerful.

These little facts beat any stylistic differences.

14. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    [/quote]

THere is some funny dialog in the OT, but nothing as bad or as awkwardly or badly delievered as there in the PT.

15. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Found a video of what I want.
    A perfect combo of PT and OT

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Just imagine if they really had cast Toshiro Mifune as Kenobi!

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That would've been incredible.

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be cool to see that type of character in the ST, though. A sort of samurai like Jedi warrior, preferably of asian descent. Who doesn't even do duels, slashes everyone he faces off within five seconds. He doesn't need the fancy moves. It would be a nice shift from the usually over the top flair.

Dasan and Sarge like this.
  19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    It seems like it's time to resurrect this thread now that we have a cast - who gets a saber? Mark, for sure. Carrie? Daisy? John? Domhnall? Adam? Dare we hope for Andy? What could they do with them?

20. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm hoping Carrie does.

Something they need to stay from is the awkwardness of the episode 2 duels, since it was chopped to hell, and some of the over the top stuff from Anakin vs. Obi-Wan,

Sarge likes this.
  21. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I refuse to pick just one, but defiantly want "something in-between." :p

22. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    oldie but a goodie... these guys need to made consultants.

BowtiesAreCool, DarthKreVass and D'an like this.
  23. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I'm lazy and don't feel like reading the whole thread. Just want to say that Darth Maul vs. Ben & Anakin is the best so far. Sorry if it's been stated 30 times already. I never get tired of watching it. Hard to top it. There. I feel better.

24. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    when does Maul fight Ben and Anakin??
    :confused:

D'an likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If the lightsaber choreographer is not Ghyslain, it is pure fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.