main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST lightsaber battles. Mirror PT or OT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by therealharvywallbanger, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Should ST lightsaber battles resemble the OT or the PT? You have to pic one

1. OT

120 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. PT

146 vote(s)
    54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You obviously didn't read the EU novel where Luke teaches Leia and friends how to fly, and they fly into space suffocating to death. I believe it was titled Jedi's Flight into Doom written by Timothy Stover Fitzgerald Herbert III.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think what you're talking about is the Unifying Force (right?). That's definitely a possibly, but Mace's line ("our ability to use the Force has diminished") kind of suggests that it's the "entire Force," so to speak. But you could very well be right.

Regardless, IMO, if the Force is now in balance, it would be important for the narrative to show what benefits that brings to the Jedi. Otherwise there's no payoff for one of the overarching narratives of the saga thus far.

Ooooh, I love Timothy Stover Fitzgerald Herbert III's stuff!

VMeran likes this.
  3. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    I posted it on her ebefore, but personally I hope the lightsaber battles take this form in the ST. Kenetic, alive, very little fluff, dangerous but very entertaining.

I'm not a fan of the Jedi being about hte use the force "at will" while concentrating/focuses on something like fighting. Whenever someone is being taught how to use the force we are talking concentrating and focusing is important, well it would be very hard to focus on moving some object across the room with trying to keep your head on your shoulders. I perfer how it was handled in the PT were/when a Jedi/Sith basically had to stop fighting in order to use the force. Vader is swinging his saber at Luke when he is throwing objects at him. Its one or the other.

King_Crimson likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I know right?! I especially love the one where Han scrambles at the last minute to get Boba Fett a Christmas present.

VMeran and Skywalker Thing like this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    And then he ends up helping Santa Claus being presents to everyone! I admit, I shed a tear when I read that.

VMeran likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Did you read the sequel where Santa turns to the darkside and eats his reindeer? It's pretty terrible.

7. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    OT. Definitely OT. I mean, while I do like the PT battle sequences, all-in-all there's this x-factor, an intangible I can't quite put my finger on that made the OT lightsaber fight scenes seem...more. Also, in theory there is very little difference between both trilogies lightsaber duels other than the consistency in which the PT utilizes them. For example, Luke's battle with Vader in Return of the Jedi very much mirrors the speed and quickness of duels in the PT, in my opinion.

Darth Pwn likes this.
  8. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    In response to the OP, I think the ST duels will look more like the ones in the PT. I'd rather them look more like the ones in the PT. Part of the reason the duels in the PT are so much more fast-paced than the ones in the OT is because by then they had the technology to make them that way. To me, the PT duels just seem more attention-grabbing.

VMeran likes this.
  9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I want the lightsaber battles in the ST to have their own style. It's a new era, so let's have a new style.

I just hope they aren't too noisy like The Force Unleashed, which is way too Matrixy for my taste. None of that slo mo crap.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  10. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    Ok, I just re-read my last post on this, and wow was it a mess. Sometimes I work I have to type fast and I think faster then I type. So this is what I meant.

I'm not a fan of Jedi and Sith being able to use the Force at will, while they are focusing on other things, like fighting someone else with a Lightsaber. Whenever we see someone being taught how to use the force we are told that concentration and focus are important and required to access and use the Force. Even in ESB when Vader is throwing things at Luke in the 2nd stage of their fight, thats ALL he is doing. He isn't throwing things at him WHILE engaged in combat with Luke. I like the "division of labour", the idea that a Jedi can't focus and concentrate on fighting someone AND on jumping higher, moving something or messing with someones mind.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I'm hoping there won't be an overusage of Force powers/abilities.

Diggs and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. therealharvywallbanger

therealharvywallbanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm still here but I have to settle something with administration before I keep posting. Essentially I'll be banned and then hopefully I can work things out to keep contributing. The process is taking a while.

13. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Some of the PT battles were done well while some of them were not, example would be Grievous, and the lava jumping in ROTS. A well choreographed EPIC duel is what fits these films the best. OT did have EPIC but not choreographed very well. Every time I watch the Vader /Obi duel in ANH I cringe because it reminds me of 5 year old playing lightsabers with sticks!!!

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I wish we could break this down into a which individual Star Wars duals (like pick top 2 or something) would you prefer the ST to use as a guide. Cause without doing such this is a seriously flawed poll. Let's face it both trilogies had very bad fights and some very good ones. My two favs being Vader vs Luke (Empire) and Obi-wan vs Darth Maul (episode 1), just happens that its one for each trilogy... I voted OT solely since at the time of my vote the OT was losing and I didn't want either to take the lead.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The hell?

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  16. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    When it comes to force abilities it's tricky to find that fine line between the Force and general magic. I remember in some old Star Wars rpg book it was said that a force push isn't a manipulation of the force in the air or even in the wielder, but of the force in the target. So a jedi has to attune themselves to the life energy in the person they want to push. I like this approach in general, that using the focus is recognizing the connections between everything and manipulating those connections. It also makes the differentiation of force lightning as a dark side move more sensible too. Whereas with a force-push a jedi has to acknowledge the fact that what they're affecting is a feeling living thing, force lightning comes from the self and requires no understanding of others. In a way it's a way to hurt without confronting the pain you're causing, it seems the opposite but in this context it fits the dark sider's tragic single-mindedness.
    Anyway, got a bit off-topic but the point is, a force move should focus on the interconnectivity of everything in the GFFA. So really, mostly telekinetic things. Which is so much simpler than what i was writing. oh well.

Sarge likes this.
  17. King_Crimson

King_Crimson Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013

lol

I love it. Great post, Saint. Pretty much sums up the PT for me (and many others). A microcosm of everything that's wrong about it. Style over substance. Flash without content. Thoughtless. Empty. For juxtaposition, you should have posted a pic of that iconic, beautifully composed shot from Empire when Luke is walking up the stairs to confront Vader for the first time in Empire. Which is a perfect summation of what's right about the OT.

Saintheart, Skywalker Thing and Diggs like this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That's exactly what I meant, although that particular moment didn't even look cool at the first viewing.

19. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I did enjoy when they came out of that moment though. My favourite bit in the Mustafar duel is the segment that takes them down on to the pipes over the lava (could have done without the droid buzzing in though).

I wasn't a fan of all he needless twirling and showboating - I preferred Lucas' take on the sabres of the OT - they should have weight when on - like Excalibur.

That crit applies to the otherwise fantastic Old Republic cinematics. I liked it when they felt like sword fights between knights. Less so when the sabre action feels like something from a martial arts flick.

That said, the Maul fight is fight up there.

I think the PT sabres suffer from over-saturation, but I understand that with so many Jedi around it's a tricky one to get around.

Sarge and The Hellhammer like this.
  20. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

Forget Anakin's and Obi-Wan's fight. We need more realism.
    We need more of this!

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Force-Kick!

That's high art, right there. They need to go back to that quality level of filmmaking.

22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    As great at the OT saber battles are, we need to have better choreographed fights like in the PT.

VMeran and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    So gritty and realistic!

VMeran likes this.
  24. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

People do realize that every punch and every pick and every sword hit etc.... in every movie looks like this right? This is just Marquand or Lucas picking a bad angel for the shot. Hell, watch the Darth Maul fight again, when Maul kicks Obi-wan off the platform they fighting on, its pretty obvious he isn't make contact.

The Godfather (maybe the best movie of all time?) even has a moment like this. Go to about 1:10 in the video

25. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

I think the dude's joking :p and as for the vid... its probably one of the greatest ass kickings of all time next to Bruce Lee laying to smackdown to Han in enter the dragon :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.