main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST: Saga Finale? or other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Disney has signed a tenyear minimum contract with Pinewood, according to Mark Newbold of JediNewsUK

That's two trilogies, and six spin offs, as well as Live action projects.

Also at the china Toy fair, for international retailers, the rumor is that the main characters of the ST were Luke, Leia, and Han

If their were new main characters, that's where it would have leaked out of, Because, if Han, Luke, and Leia were being replaced, they would not have had the spotlight.

Also if you look at the production team for seven, you will notice, that they hired someone from Tron Legacy, and their has to be a reason for that, especially with the toys.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    When this was all initially announced, George Lucas said that these films would "complete the trilogy", which I took to mean the trilogy of trilogies that he talked about years ago. That sort of Russian nesting doll of three act structures has a great appeal to me so I'm still hoping they will keep that mentality about these films moving forward. There are plenty of stories to tell in this universe, and I think it would be a big mistake to drag this one out indefinitely or even for another trilogy beyond this one. Besides, as it was pointed out earlier, studios don't like numbering films too high, so I think they will likely want to avoid getting into the double digits with these.

Seagoat and eht13 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Here's a thought, sequel tend to trend towards non-numbering now (which I personally dig if only because it makes the titles more creative as opposed to just slapping a number on it) but what if Disney wants to crank out another trilogy post ST but they simply don't number them. "Star Wars: Evil Dark Attack of Evil" which would be post Ep. 9 and have the next-next generation in it.

Here's another thought, they jump so quick into Ep. 10 that the ST hero actors haven't aged enough so they recast the characters with older actors (because the ST actors will still be too young to be primed to be the old wise overseers of the SST). It'd be like the reverse of McGreggor being cast as Obi-Wan!

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Since ROTJ ended with a very satisfying conclusion, I wouldn't mind E7 being the first of another set of two trilogies. I mean, what else can be said about Luke and company? Pass the torch, like George said. I can see a whole new direction here that only makes passing references to the OT. I dunno... the idea of a set of three trilogies seems weird to me, especially since the second set (story order) pretty much ended everything.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry I just can't accept anyone else playing ____________ other than ____________! [face_not_talking]

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Every argument that I've heard against making an Episode X is also an argument against making an Episode VII.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There's an important part of the story still left for the ST to cover and that's the rebuilding of the Republic and for Luke to fulfill Yoda's last request by passing on what he's learned. I don't see anything left for a QT that would be necessary to tell.

WatTamborWoo, TKT, Seagoat and 3 others like this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    They will keep making new trilogies until the end of the earth as we know it. When we have destroyed the earth, and are living in a colony on the moon, there will be a pause, then they will go back to making SW trilogies.

9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    That's how I feel. If the ST is indeed popular and profitable I can't imagine why Disney wouldn't make a post-ST trilogy. Or they could start another "saga", like maybe something a really long time ago before even the PT.

Ryus likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the villain will eat the Force?8-}

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    If you drink Jedi blood, will his/her Midi's make you more in touch with the Force?

That's like a Halloween-themed question and stuff. [face_pumpkin]

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'd be surprised if they haven't tackled vampires somewhere in the EU.

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I had a gut feeling for years that there would eventually be an Episode VII-IX. That feeling kept on getting stronger when Peter Jackson got his Hobbit movie, Marvel kept on cranking out new comic-book adaptations and so did DC, etc. As a matter of fact, I think there was a thread in the old LACWAC forum regarding the future of Star Wars after The Clone Wars were I speculated that there'll be a ST. Personally, I thought Episode VII was assured after walking out of The Avengers.. but I didn't expect it so soon (perhaps not so soon now?).

The same gut feeling tells me IX is the last episode in numerical order, but it will not be the last Star Wars related film. There will continue to be spinoffs once every few years, and Star Wars will quiet down for a few years or so until Lucas passes or Disney suffers a bad fiscal year and then we'll probably see a reboot of the prequel trilogy or the original trilogy sometime around the 2030s.

But I don't think there'll be an X-XII. The story does have to end at some point. Three trilogies, each with three episodes, perfectly rounded out.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'll admit that I never saw the ST coming, but I agree with most of this, sans the reboots and possibly the quiet period.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What gave you that gut feeling, and why did the movies you mention strengthen it?

16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I don't want a new saga with new characters that start in Episode X. Start that new saga with a brand new Episode I. Hopefully a saga where the title of the film is more important than the darn episode number.

STAR WARS
    EPISODE VII
    Something Bad Happens

17. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012

Because these movies make money. A lot of it. It's not hard to figure out franchises that are very popular and have a strong fan following like LOTR, Harry Potter (which also has joined the "unexpected movie spinoff/sequel" bandwagon with the announcement of several new movies), Star Wars, Marvel, et al bring in huge revenue. Things that are familiar to audiences are what brings in the big bucks. Episode VII was always going to happen in my opinion and I never bought III was the last. The gut feeling just continued to grow as over the last few years franchises like I've mentioned continue to grow in size.

A reboot of the OT or PT would bring in more revenue than an Episode XII would too.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    makes sense

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    They don't need to reboot anything. The Star Wars universe is wide open and people will keep seeing them as long as they are good. Besides, reboots have short-term gains, but very little sustainability.

20. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012

It's not the fact they "need" too, it's the fact from a financial angle a reboot is more than likely eventually going to come.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I just don't see it. I know it's a trend now but Star Wars isn't like other franchises. SW has been going strong for over 36 years and counting, and is quite possibly the most enduring example of an entire universe with its own mythology ever created. You can literally jump thousands of years or more in either direction to continue telling stories in that universe, so why throw away all those possibilities just to tell the same story again? It would serve no purpose and completely alienate the massive multigenerational fanbase in the process. It just doesn't make sense.

Ryus, Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think they have and it was terrible.

Darth_Pevra and Mystery_Roach like this.
  23. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012

But then why didn't they go do spinoffs first? Why did they suddenly, after years of absolute and utter denials, did they go straight into an Episode VII and a sequel trilogy? You'll remember that the ST was considered as unlikely and far-fetched as possible and yet here we are.

24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand the question. The fact that they are continuing (and presumably concluding) this Saga with VII, VIII, and IX while simultaneously producing spinoff films set in the same universe only proves that this franchise is perfectly sustainable as is without having to be rebooted.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    As an aside, it would be kinda cool if they rebooted the PT and then waited 19 years to reboot the OT with the same actors aged. I'll probably be dead by then, but still...

TX-20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.