main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST: Saga Finale? or other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe they could use that format to tell a new story in this universe. I actually think that would be pretty interesting.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The reason behind a PT reboot, from a financial point of view, would be that a lot of people walked away from it feeling like it was a classic tale that was told terribly. It would be a cash cow with that crowd if it actually satisfied what they always hoped the PT would be. A lot people would pay to see the PT story reach what they felt was it's potential.

3. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    So you'd just keep everything in the same universe, destroy all copies of Lucas's PT and simply pretend those movies don't exist? I really don't see that happening. If you reboot anything, you reboot everything, and either way it just defies all logic not to mention crapping on the legacy (whatever some people may think of it) of the man who created this universe in the first place.

Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What?? How did we go from doing remakes to becoming Nazis?? I don't remember anyone burning the Thompson CAPE FEAR copies and forgetting they existed when the Scorcese one came out.

What the hell are you talking about? People are allowed to watch more than one version of a movie.

What logic does it defy? It's just a remake that would make a lot of money. Where is the illogic in this? And crapping on the legacy?? Was Disney crapping on The Brothers Grimm legacy when they made their own version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves? Was Christopher Nolan crapping on Stan Lee's legacy when he made Batman Begins? You see crapping on a legacy, and I see honoring the same.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Stan lee?

I think you mean Bob Kane(but its really Bill Finger)

Btw, Stan Lee is a hackā€¦he stole most of his stuff from Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko..

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Surely you can see that there's a difference between remaking a movie or rebooting a franchise and remaking three movies that are part of a larger story. If I misread your intentions then I apologize, but it seemed to me that you were saying they should remake only the PT while leaving the rest of the saga alone, and that is a completely different scenario than the examples you're citing.

7. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Apologieeee accepted, Captain Needa ;)

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Ah well for some reason I was thinking someone else had made that comment, although you did make it as an aside, which makes me question whether that was your original intention. I still say it doesn't make sense to reboot any of it at this or any other point in time, and that a 19 year gap would leave a lot of confusion in the meantime, but I'll assume that you weren't suggesting that they reboot the PT to fit into the rest of the current saga, which is the notion I was responding to. Incidentally, in your plan would you then wait another 30-40 years (or however much time passes in the story) and reboot the ST as well?

9. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012

Lol...good question. I guess I always thought of 1-6 working well enough as a complete story that such a thing wouldn't be necessary. But I like the *stories* of all 6 and think they are classic and timeless enough to let others have a go at them. The only reason I brought up the fan disappointment in the PT is because it's a fact that would make the PT reboot a huge goldmine. The OT part of the reboot would be a tougher sell, since the OT is held in such veneration by the bulk of the fanbase.

10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    First of all, the fact is that 1-6 is no longer a complete story. Secondly, I don't think you're taking into account that there's a whole generation who grew up with the PT and revere it as much as the OT is revered, not to mention quite a few older fans who love it as well, and such an undertaking would in no way be a sure thing financially or meet with universal acceptance by any stretch. Many people would in fact see that as a bastardization of the story they love as well as a slap in the face to its creator, and at best it would only splinter the fanbase even more. Then there's the Clone Wars to consider, which has a large fanbase of it's own. Would that be paved over by this reboot as well? What about Rebels? We don't yet know how popular it will be or how it may tie into either the prequels or the Clone Wars. If you think people are upset about the notion of the EU being overwritten, that's nothing compared to the outrage that will occur if all of these things are tossed aside just because somebody who isn't George Lucas thinks they have a better idea for how to do it.

11. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 1-6 works as a complete story, regardless of what is added to it, unlike 1-3 which has a cliffhanger for an ending. There are tons of people who grew up with PT, loved it when they were younger, and now don't. My instincts tell me that if a highly-skilled director/writer took the PT story and remade the films skillfully, it would make oceans of money. Yes, it would be risky, but the potential is huge. If you don't agree, I accept that. But this discussion has been going off topic for too long, so we should try to end it somehow.

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    By that rationale, there's no need for a PT of any kind, because the OT works just fine as a complete story on its own.

But good call. It's easy to get wrapped up in responses while losing focus of the original topic, and I've already given my thoughts on that.

13. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Just for the record, I never thought OT worked fine on it's own. I always thought that the redemption of Anakin at the end of ROTJ required a reason to care. I felt, Pre-PT, like I missed out on an important part of the story. This is why the PT was necessary for the story, IMO.
    Agreed.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's something that strongly increases the likelihood of a reboot: For most people, Star Wars is a set of characters, not a universe.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    To answer the original question,. I can really see it going either way.
    I do think the ST is the bridge to new characters and a new story arc so it could go on with a new generation, but I can also see them stopping for a while at the end of the ST and just doing spin offs. Let's face it, they will never be hurting for material, (and I'm not even talking about the EU) there is a whole universe that has been created and they could go on for eternity with trilogies about the future and the past.

I think as long as there is a demand, there will be Star Wars in some shape or fashion.

StoneRiver likes this.
  16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL An actual reboot as defiend by today's standards will never happen with SW -- NEVER! The closest thing you'll get to a "reboot" is what I've already descrived, a passing of the torch to a New Generation of heroes.

You can take that to the bank.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Agreed! And a passing the torch to a new generation can go on indefinatly... As it does in real life.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well, ever since ROTS came to cinemas, I felt that I'd like to see Episodes 7-9. Restored Republic, Luke in Yoda's chair, Leia's and possibly Luke's children and their stories etc., etc. Now I'm faced with new set of problems: Lucas is no longer in charge, are these movies going to be any good? How will they continue the story, what will be the link in story arc that'll make us see the ST as part of the six movies already made?
    In light of these concerns, I wouldn't like to see Episodes 10-12, no matter how good will the ST be. Just finish it and move on to some new areas.

Darth Raiden and Mystery_Roach like this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    SW will never end as long as each and every one of you believe.

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I BELIEVE!

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the ST will be the finale but can see TPTB wanting to continue it.
    It all depends on if they want to end the Big 3 story on a high note. Have the story be over by Episode 9 and the Jedi Order fully reemergent, the galaxy at peace and unified under one government and the Big 3 get to live in peace to end their lives.
    Or they could have a new villain span the next 6 movies and continue the Skywalker/Solo family story and end the saga with a reemergent Jedi Order, and a unified galaxy under a new Republic.

Once the Jedi Order returns and the galaxy is united under one Republic end the Skywalker story. If the galaxy is at peace don't continue the Skywalker/Solo story until centuries or millennia later. Minor movies are fine but no more galaxy shaking events.

Start another saga then. Either 1000's of years earlier or after the current saga.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke goes crazy and vows revenge on the Force and goes into the afterlife and murders everything. Think God of War III only stupider.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it should go up to 12 with the Skywalker saga, that way George could have his dream serial in the Flash Gordon mold. What they would do after that, I have no idea, and would be entirely up to Disney. Probably an Old Republic trilogy or an increased amount of spin-offs.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    The bread and butter is the Episodes. Spinoffs, while interesting, aren't the big draw; don't have the same weight of importance.

While I'd love to see an Old Republic era of flms I would still want the main storyline to continue forward indefinitely, which I think it can and will.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I personally would love a trilogy that takes place hundreds of years after ROTJ.

Mystery_Roach and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.