main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Stackpole's X-Wing comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , May 20, 2013.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So I've finally gotten around to reading these, and I think they're great! The humor's way better than it ever was in the books, and the stories are all great. I loved The Phantom Affair and In the Empire's Service. The art varies, but the quality for the most part is really good. And each of the Rogues really get fleshed out a lot.

What was it like for some of you who read this series as it came out? Did it get better with time?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes. I forget where it was in the succession, but I think Battleground: Tatooine was my favorite.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Art and Story-wise, I think those two you mentioned are by far the best.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah that was a good one. It was earlier on, but it was where Tycho/Winter really kicked into gear.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Aside from the weakest arc that was Maskerade and the confused opener, it was all good.

The Rise of Isard arc was particularly good - save for that screw-up that was Maskerade, the Fel one-shot was great and the final arc was a killer.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, that explains it. :p

7. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Really, what didn't you like about Masquerade, Ben? Besides Tycho having a bad hair day, I thought that was a great arc.

I agree about the first arc, though. It was before the series really got into its groove.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wasn't a huge fan of the earlier storylines, but I thought the ending third that dealt with Pestage, Isard and Fel was a great sequence.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one of the very few times in a SW comic when I thought the art was absolutely abominable Todd, the tech was especially crude and simplistic - I could have drawn a better Star Destroyer than what "graced" the pages of that!

Fortunately the next arc was Mandatory Retirement and that kicked all kinds of arse and had stuff like this:

[​IMG]

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I guess it really wasn't up to specs. Wedge and Tycho especially looked off, Isard too.

Mandatory Retirement was indeed great. Poor Nrin and Ibtisam.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    In the Empire's Service was my favorite. It had the best plot, action, and art in the series. And by the Glove, they followed through with the 181st being terrifying to go up against.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I loved the X-wing comics. It'd still be my fondest wish if those were continued...

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I would give my beloved Ackbar figure for an X-wing comic series by Stackpole set during the NJO!

--Adm. Nick

14. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmmm...

I have never really been a "comics" guy, so while I loved the X-Wing books I never was interested in the comics. But... since I've got into Knight Errant, I might have to expand outwards and get the X-Wing comics, especially since the OP mentioned that the OP thought they were better than the books in some ways. Do they have an omnibus like they do for some of the other series?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I'd just want the series to continue from where it left off... I find the early NR era to be more interesting than the NJO, but that's just me.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, I'd second this, but only if the quality was the same. Rogue Leader was basically a continuation (or a prequel I guess) and it wasn't that great. I've also always thought of Union as largely an X-wing continuation and it also never thrilled me.

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    "In the Empire's Service" is of course amazing, as is every subsequent comic in which Soontir, Baron Fel takes part

tbh i'd prefer a series about him and syal though over a new x-wing comic. they're like the original power couple

18. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I miss this series. Still probably my favourite series/miniseries that Dark Horse ever did. Edvin Biukovic's art on The Phantom Affair was probably my favourite in the whole series (as well as his work on The Last Command which is where my avatar is from, if I'm not mistaken).

Reaper63 likes this.
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'd agree that the series was at its best when it tightened its focus and developed an ongoing plot with Fel rather than hopping from one-off adventure to one-off adventure. The Rebel Opposition was a misfire as an opener -- Stackpole had trouble conveying all his ideas to the scripter -- but it contains some solid ideas at the core. The execution got a lot sharper for the next several arcs, but the twofold problem with the early arcs is that Darko Macan, with The Phantom Affair, was the only scripter of Stackpole's story concepts good enough to elevate the material even further and was given the best material with Wedge's backstory, and the series was just too unfocused to start. The early arcs, Stackpole was just sort of making up concepts as he went along, with the idea of focusing each around a sort of reprise of some major Star Wars element. So you just get these scattered standalone missions where the Rogues end up being as much special ops as a squadron at war.

It was when Stackpole focused on the idea of telling the story of an actual military campaign pushing the New Republic forward, and building in a bigger plot following Isard's rise within the Empire, that things really snapped into focus and got out of the one-off, underthought adventure rut. They stopped just being fun throwaway adventures and started being a real story with bigger stakes that was developing the overall plot of the galaxy. The addition of the ridiculously compelling Fel added to that big-time. The Making of Baron Fel is still probably my favorite single-issue comic.

The series got a big boost out of having fantastic artwork, too. Edvin Biukovic is one of the best, and John Nadeau was a perfect choice as the predominant penciler of the series -- his tech was so good. Gary Erskine was fantastic in Requiem for a Rogue, and Steve Crespo was tremendous. It's too bad that the series went through a rough patch in art for Family Ties and Masquerade -- it could have really used Crespo or Nadeau there, or brought Erskine back.

RC-1991 and Trip like this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yup, three of them. Which were also the first three SW omnibi that Dark Horse did. Nyah, nyah, and nyah.

I picked up Volume 1 around Christmas '07 and was really disappointed by it. Rogue Leader was a pretty underwhelming and pointless prequel, and The Rebel Opposition was, to be honest, atrocious. Apparently the plot made even less sense in the original issues and was tweaked for the trade release, but the final product I read in the omnibus was still a nonsensical mess. The painfully bad characterization of Winter and the awful art didn't help matters. The Phantom Affair was the saving grace of the omnibus, but it wasn't enough to redeem the volume. My experience was bad enough that I skipped Volume 2 and went right for the highly-recommended Volume 3 the following Christmas. Now that was an Omnibus. I can't speak for Volume 2, but I'll definitely add my voice to the chorus that recommends Volume 3.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  21. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    My local library system has a bunch of them -- the only problem is the one Omnibus collection had pages ripped out. Asshats. And that was the only copy. :mad:

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Uncultured Ruffians! They deserve to go to a special hell for that. One does not damage publicly owned books and even if one does, one has the balls to admit it and buy the library a new copy.

23. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    I have only ever bought 3 comic "books" in my life X-wing omnibus 1,2 and 3.

24. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    At first, I skipped the X-Wing series because I thought they were boring.
    Now, I think of the series as one of the best comic series ever written.
    I evry much liked the intrigue between Pestage and Isard.

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Rebel Opposition wasn't great, but it did set up quite a few of the characters. Phantom Affair is where the series hit it's stride. Rogue Leader was written and drawn far later, and a poor addition to the series. Much better would have been to see the Reenlistment of Baron Fel, which Stackpole and Zahn collaborated on and have fully written in both comic script and short story form in their computers.