Stadium Names

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Our new indoor arena (for Hockey probably and maybe NBA eventually) is going to be the Sprint Center. Which, as far as corporate sponsorships go, isn't *too* bad. It envokes the image of, you know, sprinting :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  2. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I miss the old days before corporate sponsorship names on the stadiums. I grew up with Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards. Now it's named after banks and Internet sites.
  3. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    The JC needs to sponsor a stadium.

That's it.

Best. Idea. Ever.
  4. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    Kaufman is indeed a fine place to watch a baseball game.

I know I'm biased, but I've always liked the Cleveland Indians stadium name: Jacobs Field.

It can never be changed and I just think it fits with the atmoshphere around that area.
  5. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    PetCo Park and US Cellular Field are the worst
  6. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    [image=http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~hiroshin/pictures/usa/los_angeles_dodgers1.jpg]

I can comfortably say that Dodger Stadium will never be renamed by a corporate sponsor, and will always be Dodger Stadium.:cool:
  7. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's why so many people (including myself) just call it Comiskey. :p
  8. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I'm proud of my hometown in this regard. The Jake and Cleveland Browns Stadium have, thus far, avoided corporate sponsorships, and that makes me happy. Too bad they changed the name of Gund Arena to Quicken Loans Arena (which I refuse to cal "The Q", as I hate self-gloss).
  9. solojones Chosen One

star 9

I think you can safely say that. It's a lot easier when you have a team that's got tons of money. Unfortunately the Royals definitely don't, so it's amazing Kaufman has stayed Kaufman.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  10. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Isn't the Royals owner fairly wealthy as it is? And the team receives plenty of money from revenue sharing. It's not the Yankees fault teams like the Royals and Pirates love signing old retreads.
  11. darthdrago Force Ghost

star 4
    That's McAfee Coliseum to you!
  12. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Seeing all the corporate names on stadiums and arenas is honestly disgusting, and is rather pathetic. I mean, come on: Taco Bell Arena, Pepsi Center, Credit Union Center, General Motors Place, Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre.
  13. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Agreed, although Taco Bell Arena gives it a run for it's money.
  14. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

The owner just appears to have common sense to respect the name of the stadium, since Kauffman was the man who won the bidding to buy the Royals in 1968. Saro makes a good point on this matter as well.
  15. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, I think there's enough sense to respect the tradition.

No, it's teams like the Yankees and Red Sox fault that any time the Royals develop a good player, they get bought off by a team with salaries the Royals could never match. You're welcome for Carlos Beltran and Johnny Damon [face_plain] The Royals basically function as a professional farm team.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  16. Darth Mace Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.