main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Stand alone SW Films

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by mindtwister_138, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Apparently, they are now working on standalone SW films that are not part of the Saga. Here is a blurb I picked up from a website that announced this.

"The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

Apparently, there is a rumor that Yoda will be the first to get his own movie. What do you guys think about this?

2. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Guess it would have helped if I put my own 2 cents in here. I don't think I really like the idea, because of the 2 names I have heard tossed around (Yoda and Boba Fett), these seem like they would be origin movies.

If any of you are comic fans, you will know that any origin movie done wrong will mess up the character and canon for other EU stuff as well.

On another hand, I also don't like it because you are dealing with 2 exteremely popular characters whose draw lies in their mystery. Do we really want an origin movie of Yoda that tells his whole tale? I don't. I like the mystery. Same with Fett. Besides that, the Yoda movie would have to be laden heavy with CGI, which I know can be done good if not overdone. If they are to unravel the mystery of one or both of these characters, I think it would be terrible, because that is one reason I like them as much as I do, and I hate to say it, but they kinda ruined Boba just a little for me when he was made into a clone, but that's me.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm more worried about the rumored Young Han Solo movie.

I think the Fett film, if done right (like let Joe Johnston direct it), could be awesome; but not an origin movie (which is kinda what ep 2 was). I'd prefer a Fett v. Vader type film. A hit film, basically, set the the GFFA.
    But a Yoda movie would be, well, pointless it would be.

I want a Noah movie staring Wilferd Brimly!

4. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    no to the yoda movie. leave the little green frog looking jedi alone.
    A young han movie would be cool. specially if they used the books for a base. A Fett one would be cool, if done right. A good Fett movie should be like a bond film, but with more shooting.

5. DarKyram

DarKyram Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2010
    Whaat? No, no way. A good Fett movie would be done right if done more in the vein of an old spaghetti western, set in space. Make it with the spirit of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and it would be PERFECT.

VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  6. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Ah, rumors and speculation...okay I'll play...

Yoda movie--eh, probably least excited about this one. They've made great strides with CGI but a movie where the main character (as opposed to a supporting character like Gollum) is a special effect is hard to pull off (even Avatar couldn't do it IMO)

Han Solo-I'd be okay with this if they found the right actor to play a young Harrison Ford which I think would be hard to do. I would like to see him at the Imperial Academy and meeting Chewie for the first time and earning those bloodstripes.

Boba Fett-Yes please but only if it's post "Jedi"/post Sarlac Pit Boba. And only if they get Temuera Morrison‏ to play it and NOT Daniel Logan. I dig Daniel Logan as a fan but an intimidating bounty hunter he is not.

7. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    See, I think any kind of story about Fett would mess up his continuity in some way. I'm sure the film itself would be awesome, especially if done like Dar said. However, what will it do to Boba Fett the Character? Also, I wouldn't want to see Logan OR Temura play it. Let's make it someone who has that deadly edge Boba Fett has in Empire and Jedi. I don't think that either one could pull off dangerous and intimidating the way the Boba Fett in Empire and Jedi did.

However, I could be wrong. This whole thing is speculation, right ;)

It looks as though we mostly all agree about Yoda though...lol.

Also, if they do the story of a young Han in the Imperial military, his defection and meeting up with Chewbacca, that could be cool too.

8. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I'd like for them to do with Boba what they're doing for the Marvel heroes. Maybe bring him in as a surprise in Ep VII and then tell the story of how he got out of the Sarlac pit and what he's been up to in his own side movie. Or tell his side story first and then bring him in in Ep VIII. How would the near death experience of being in the Sarlac pit (for who knows how long? 10 years? 20 years?) change him? How would he adjust to the new order of the universe? (kind like Cpt America waking up in the modern era from WW2) All kinds of good stories you could tell.

9. DarKyram

DarKyram Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't think a movie would ruin him as a character. And, really, if they want to stay true to what has been established, then really the only people who could pass playing him is Daniel or Temuera. If they went with anyone else, then the fans would riot more than they already do at this time.

I would like to see Han getting his blood stripes, that would be cool. Him meeting Chewie would be fun. There's a lot you can do with that period that the books only glossed over. I would hate to see what ever A.C. Crispen wrote get washed aside by a movie, BUT I've accepted that anything written anymore is pretty much erasable when it comes to continuity.

10. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    Han getting his stripes and meeting Chew would be cool. And after much thinking, (gods I hate to say the next four words,) Dar may be right. (see, hate the once a year that I have to write that.) A Fett spaghetti western style movie would be cool. As much as I love Dan, Temura would be a better pick.

11. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Shoot there are so many books out now that almost anyone of them could be turned into a movie (or for that matter another sequel, prequel or postquel not sure if that is even a word). Needless to say there are sooooooo many possibilities they could go on for a very long long time (maybe more than our lifetimes, wouldn't that be something for future generations to talk about (80 years down the road a couple of youngsters are talking; yea I had a great uncle that use to dress up in Boba Fett or Darth Vader or God forbid Jar Jar Binks and go to the original showings of the First STAR WARS releases)).

What ever the outcome I'm hopeful that ALL of whatever comes out in the future is done with the same vigor and enthusiasm as those that are out now..