main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"standardized testing"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by MynDonos, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    I remember there was a really good thread about the pros and cons of standardized testing; does anybody have a direct link to it? It was in the not too distant past, within the last year or so, if that helps.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Being that I created it, I do have a link.

And I must say that it probably should have been locked for lack of supporting thought. But I was a young padawan back then ;).

I'll unlock it if you'd like.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Here's a follow up to that thread.

And I must say that it probably should have been locked for lack of supporting thought. But I was a young padawan back then

Weren't we all?

Of course, I was never that young...

Kimball Kinnison

4. ScottAlmighty

ScottAlmighty Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Standardized testing in school, i.e., national testing that determines whether or not you are, intelligently, where you should be by the time you've finshed a class on a subject, is a wonderful idea, but horribly executed.

I have been disenfranchised with school ever since my senior year of high school. It's a rediculous system and it makes no sense...homework, CLASSWORK? Why? What for?

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the purpose of school should be to get you prepaired for a regimented and boring life after school. It should be, as it sometimes claims to be, a place for academics...meaning, a place where you learn and are taught about subjects, and information. Following this logic...

You should not HAVE to go to class everyday if you don't want to. In addition to that, those standardized tests should be acvailable to all students at ANY time. Should the students pass those tests, meaning, they have ALL of the required knowledge which they would recieve from that class...they shouldn't have to go any more. Simple as that. It's like physical therapy. You don't go forever, you go till you can do what it is you were supposed to be able to do..then you leave.

What about this DOESN'T make sense?

5. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I think this whole test thing is stupid. I'm from Texas, and here we have the TAAS test. You could be a strait A student allyour life, mess up on the test, fail, and get held back in the same grade.

6. Madriver

Madriver Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2003
    I have been disenfranchised with school ever since my senior year of high school. It's a rediculous system and it makes no sense...homework, CLASSWORK? Why? What for?

You have had your rights taken away? Or class has prevented you from voting? Maybe you mean disillusioned?

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the purpose of school should be to get you prepaired for a regimented and boring life after school. It should be, as it sometimes claims to be, a place for academics...meaning, a place where you learn and are taught about subjects, and information. Following this logic...

You should not HAVE to go to class everyday if you don't want to. In addition to that, those standardized tests should be acvailable to all students at ANY time. Should the students pass those tests, meaning, they have ALL of the required knowledge which they would recieve from that class...they shouldn't have to go any more. Simple as that. It's like physical therapy. You don't go forever, you go till you can do what it is you were supposed to be able to do..then you leave.

What about this DOESN'T make sense?

Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with most of it. There is more to schooling besides knowing the material, in many classes the knowledge also comes from class discussions and debate (just like message boards :p ).

7. ScottAlmighty

Feb 1, 2003
    Sometimes...but...

I had to take those tests...I also never did my homework. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but, I mean, I am very very smart. However, I almost failed a WHOLE lot of classes in school because of my missing homework and classwork grades...but...I got EXCEPTIONAL grades on the tests, standardized or regular...never less than A's and B's...or, you know, whatever their standardized equivilent. I knew what I needed to know...but I almost failed. What's that all about?

On the flip-side, I knew people in high school that were dumb as rocks, but got good grades, because they did all of their homework and classwork assignments, and crammed for C's on the tests. It was from one of these students that I heard what has the official title of the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my whole life:

"Just because I don't know geometry doesn't mean I shouldn't pass geometry." Read it again...it's really THAT stupid. Now, this girl failed her standardized tests, but got a B in class...I got a D, but (I think) a near perfect score on the SOL (Standard of Learning). Make sense? Not at all.

I understnad that school has BECOME a place for you to be devalued individually and it's like work jr. now. I know. But that doesn't mean I agree with it. I think, that public school should be like college, after the 10th grade. Go to class, don't go to class...it's YOUR education. The law should still say you must be in school until you finish, so as to prevent you from making a stupid decision to QUIT in your youth...but the law should end there. Learn what you need to learn ACADEMICLY (sp? didn't learn that one :) ) and get on with it. If you choose to stay home everyday, or chill in the class doing nothing...your choice. Take the tests, and the grade is on you.

No use forcing kids to do work...their grade in the end...

8. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Standardized tests are a necessary evil, there is no other way to properly compare all students across the nation without such testing.

Unfortunately, some smart people don't test well, but usually they still have high grades or other factors which indicate their intelligence. It's just one of many factors.

9. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm one of those people who doesn't test well. I got 660 on both my math and verbal on the SATs, and I honestly think, based on my performance in my classes, that this is low for me.

I think a viable alternative would be having each university put a prospective undergraduate through their own set of standardized tests. Sure, they'd have verbal and math on there, but they could also choose to test you in other subjects like science, the arts, music, writing, etc. I feel like I was short-changed of demonstrating my intelligence in other areas. I'm a musical prodigy and very well-rounded. Universities say that they're looking for people like me, but it looks more like they're looking for people in the upper range of their SAT average. :p

Oh well, I'm at RPI and having a super easy and fun time. Sucks to be those Cornell people! [face_laugh]

Jae Angel

10. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    What's RPI? And hey, one of my best friends went to Cornell, and he had a pretty good time.

But college admissions are very random, and a 1320 on your SAT's is still a good score. In addition, you can always take the ACT, which all colleges also accept, which has a math, writing, reading, and SCIENCE section, but I suck at science so the old SAT was good enough for me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't forget, if you want to go to a top university, don't forget to take your PSAT II's!!!

11. Madriver

Madriver Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2003
    What's RPI? And hey, one of my best friends went to Cornell, and he had a pretty good time.

I'm pretty sure it's Renssalaer (spelling?) Polytechnic Institute...a university in New York (not the city) I think. :)

12. ScottAlmighty

Feb 1, 2003
    Well, that much is true also...some people dont' test well..because they freak out.

Then I believe that there should be more schools established...those that take a whole look at work performance and test scores...those that look at work performance only...and those that look at test scores only.

And for colleges, I think you should be subjected only to an interview or an essay, your chosing.

13. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Standardized testing serves a purpose but we're way to obsesses with it.

I have 3 siblings, all of whom are smart. One of my brothers is terrible at taking tests, yet he might be the most intelligent one. So he gets worse grades and does worse on tests. Yet he knows a lot. Standardized testing isn't necessarily fair.

Right now my 2 youngest siblings are studying hard to (re) take the ACT. Is it really worthwhile to study for a national test? Aren't you missing subjects that way?

Standardized testing is an evil, but as long as schools are federally funded, it's a necessary evil.

14. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    For me, its the High School Exit exam. Now what I just do not unerstand, is why do they continue to have these tests if they know the students are not doing so well. I mean these tests only tend to make me nervous andalot of times I cannot answer their questions. But I also see their side of the deal and I also tend to understand why they make us have it but still! I am always the test ginny pig in all my school years. Hand it down to the Freshmen for once [face_laugh]

15. Kuna_Tiori

Kuna_Tiori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    As I stated in the last standardized test thread, standardized tests as a concept are a necessary evil. They represent the best and only fair way to:

1. Ensure that high school graduates are "proficient" citizens.

2. Raise education levels by setting educational standards.

Now, as for the content of the tests themselves, that's a whole other story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.