Standout Track Discussion: Now discussing Star Trek: First Contact "First Contact"

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. PudgyGuy1981 Jedi Youngling

A little late to this ,and don't mean to go back on a previous subject. However I for one definitely love James Newton Howard's Dinosaur score. Though the OST only has a handful selection of good cues. The full score (bootleg obviously) has the other cues that were left off the OST and are just as awesome. This is one score that can be listened to all the way through in my opinion.

2. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6

It seems so . . . sorry! Maybe we should move on. :(
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes moving on, Dan and I suck.

Let's try something perhaps a bit more well known by James Horner: "Gift of a Thistle" from Braveheart. To me this simple, poignant and elegant statement of the film's love theme is simply perfect. It is by far my most listened to cue from this film. Although the track "For Love of a Princess" contains perhaps the most grand and sweeping statement of the theme, it is "Gift of a Thistle" that is perhaps the most romantic. As for the theme itself, I feel this is Horner's best love theme ever, far superior even to Titanic's "Rose" / "My Heart Will Go On" theme. If a song had been written for this one and sung by Celine Dion, I believe it would have been a huge hit too.
  4. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is a good track, but the love theme is not my favorite from this particular score. I prefer the secondary love theme that I guess could be considered Murron's Theme. It plays most prominently as Wallace sees her gliding through the crowd just before the axe falls at the end. This track in particular, though, is quietly beautiful and works very well in the film.

But, my pick for a standout track is definitely "The Secret Wedding."
  5. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Well said.
    This 'simpler' version is a great way to introduce the theme (it does, right?) and especially fitting when you look at the scene it's used in. Love is starting, but no way do we need a sweeping "For the Love of a Princess" statement. It also sounds more lonely, which William would be, if it weren't for that small but great gift of a thistle.

The scene in the movie gets me every time and it would be (almost) nothing without this music.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah I think this thread is not gonna fly. No one is posting in it very much...
  7. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't be discouraged, it's a great idea for a thread.

I haven't listened to Braveheart in a while, but I have not forgotten how powerful a cue "Gift of a Thistle" is. When I first saw the film, this was one of the moments that really stuck with me. I think this score is Horner's best work to date.
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, I'm afraid I haven't heard the Braveheart score out of the film, but I didn't really like it in-film, and I hated the film . . . I know I'm in the minority here, but that's it.
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Okay let's shift gears a little to Jerry Goldsmith. His score for Star Trek: First Contact (with his son Joel) is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores. Clearly the main standout theme from this score is the new theme for the first contact humans have with the Vulcans. This theme plays first and beautifully in the "Main Titles/Locutus" track on the CD. It is sprinkled throughout the film in various places but comes to full fruition in the track "First Contact" when the Vulcan ship lands and contact is made with humans. The cue takes the theme through multiple treatments and sweeps to several amazing climaxes in the near six-minute track. For me in a score filled with absolutely fantastic cues, especially if one has the complete score, this track remains a standout track and one I listen to nearly every time it comes onto my iTunes score shuffle.
  10. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    This cue is quite heavenly. It fits perfectly with the climax of the film. It also worked well in the alternate universe version of the scene in the Enterprise episode "In A Mirror, Darkly".
  11. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Agreed. An excellent cue from an excellent score, and quite a versatile one that plays well with a wide mix of emotions.
  12. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't hear this cue and imagine Cochrane shooting the Vulcan. This cue is about peace and discovery, and I love it.:)
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I was torn between choosing this track or "The Dish" which is also quite an interesting track that stands out from an excellent score...
  14. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm afraid I haven't heard the track or seen the film. I know, I know. I'm sorry.
  15. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well the last time I tried to cater to you with a track you knew, it killed the thread... :p
  16. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Haha, well I'd say ignore me and I'll keep posting that I haven't heard the tracks that you choose. Hey, it keeps the thread upped. ;)
  17. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That might work better than sending you the tracks and then having you forget about them for a week...
  18. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    Great track. It's kinda emotional, for a Star Trek piece. Well it is for me anyway. [face_shhh]
  19. shwanzi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Since I don't own the 'expanded edition' of the score (but I will once Wizard World comes to town), I have to base my opinion off the standard edition of the score from ST:FC.

I have to go with 'Temporal Wake' as my favorite track off the soundtrack. It's slow, methodical, has some great cues within and it builds to a great climax... and the inclusion of the Klingon Theme in it doesn't hurt either. I listen to it on my iPod all the time.

Although, since I don't own the expanded version... I really love the music in the film when the Enterprise, under the control of the Borgified Data, is tracking the Phoenix Warp Ship in preparation to open fire on it. Too bad it wasn't included on the standard edition. That's an amazing piece of music IMO.

Did I mention that Jerry Goldsmith is #2 on my favorite film composers list? LOL.
  20. Tomtrek Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree, that is an amazing cue.

If I remember correctly, it's only played three times in the whole film - the Mian Titles, the scene with Picard and Lilly looking down on Earth ("It's my first ray-gun"), and the actual first contact scene itself.

I think the fact that you don't hear it much makes it sound even better when you do hear it.
  21. PudgyGuy1981 Jedi Youngling

The "First Contact" cue is defintely a good cue. As some have pointed out it's full of emotion and that's what makes it great. Hell the whole (full) score itself is awesome. A good calibration between Jerry and his son Joel.
  22. shwanzi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Compare the main theme from First Contact to the main theme from Air Force One... striking similarities...
  23. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Compare the main theme to Star Wars and the main theme to Superman: The Motion Picture. Also, striking similarities.:p
  24. shwanzi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I concur :D
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.