Victoria. BC Star ... 2.. Imax ????

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by obi-wan_kurtnobi, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-wan_kurtnobi Jedi Knight

Some of you may already be aware or have heard rumors that There going to release Episode 2 as an Imax film. Well I thought since I haven't personally seen any posting about it that I'd be the first here it is there going to release Episode 2 to Imax. As far as I can find no confirmation on a victoria date yet just the thought of seeing one of the great pieces of film making on a screen that large sends me into an excitment induced coma. So if any of you are holding out on me please post here and let me know what's up because I've been jonesing for that particular brand of force antics and with out some kind of a boost I'm not going to make it to november.
    Kurt
    Ps. I hope that all this dying nonsense gets sorted out cause I'm hungrier than a wampa who just lost his lunch and arm for some fan force action.
  2. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    AOTC on IMAX....yes, it's true! :D Well, to be more precise, I've only heard the same reports that you and everyone else has; so far it's only been confirmed that they'll be playing it in IMAX theatres in the U.S. and Canada around the start of November....admittedly not as soon as some of us would like, in order to get our desperately-needed AOTC fix, but keep in mind also that they want to do this transfer absolutely, perfectly right....and no one else, no other film, will be transferred in quite the format or so exactingly as AOTC will, that's a given. So they want to take the time to do it right, and I'm totally on board for that. But as you say, it's the waiting till November....that's the real killer.

Now, admittedly we've not yet heard which theatres exactly in the U.S. and Canada will be this fortunate; we could always call our museum IMAX theatre directly, though, and pin them down on it for sure and certain. I was told that it might not be likely, though, that it would be showing here; apparently the museum's IMAX theatre tends to focus more on National Geographic-ish films, which is all well and good in its place, to be sure....but it's no Star Wars. And I *dearly*, sincerely hope they realize that. Of course we could always *make* them realize it....

And for the record, Kurt - I agree with you. The whole way, I do. Most emphatically and sincerely. :)

Dawn.
  3. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, guys, here's the sitch on AOTC in IMAX theatres....or, to be more precise, as it would affect us, with the museum IMAX theatre here. I know that at least *some* of us were initially very intrigued, hepped-up and in general most excited to hear about AOTC in IMAX....larger than life, wholly enveloping....how could we *not* be excited about it, indeed?

However....looking even just a bit further into it, you will realize that there are a few stumbling blocks, or issues arising that will be of great concern to you....at least, they *should* be. Because after conferring with my brother this evening, they certainly are of *great* worry to me....and just as he's already made his ironclad decision, so too have I made mine. And when you realize what has to happen to AOTC in order to get it in IMAX format, what will be done to it in the course of the transfer....you will undoubtedly agree with us. Again, I would certainly *expect* that you should. Anyone with any common sense should, now, I think.

Here, then, is the problem. As my brother explained it to me a short while ago, AOTC's original aspect ratio, or OAR as it is more commonly known, must of course be altered somewhat in order to prepare it for the larger, square-screened IMAX format. In other words, to at least some extent....AOTC will be pan-and-scanned. And this in itself *should* properly and rightfully enrage anyone who truly cares about the proper, true and rightful presentation of any film....but *especially* AOTC. In such things as this, more than ever now, we must be purists....we deserve the best, and OAR is it, plain and simple. Now, then.... As I was saying, yes, to at least some extent AOTC will undergo this pan-and-scan process, in the transformation from the rectangular-screen format to the IMAX square-screen one. However, as my brother relayed it to me, apparently the process in itself that they are using to transfer AOTC (and "Apollo 13" as well) is a frame-by-frame one.

In other words, they are literally blowing up the image to get enough detail in there, one frame at a time....and this in itself, one can understand. Doesn't excuse the whole notion of pan-and-scan, much less *ever* to connect it with AOTC, of course....but you see the point nonetheless, surely. However....*here* is the real clincher problem, and the one that there is absolutely *no* getting around or being able to tolerate....not for my brother and certainly not for me. And I'm equally certain that none of you will be able to fathom it either, much less to have it sit at all well with you. Because it *won't*, I assure you.

As you may already be aware, IMAX film cannisters are, by necessity and nature of the format itself, quite large....and like the IMAX cameras themselves, sometimes quite unwieldy, as is my understanding. And because the film itself is so large....and since people are apparently not amenable to having an intermission during the film presentation....IMAX film cannisters can only hold about 120 minutes of footage, that's two hours at the absolute most. Now, most IMAX films such as National Geographic-based ones, are only about forty, fifty minutes long....so in that regard, one can see that IMAX theatres, personnel and creators really could not have foreseen the demand for theatrical films in the IMAX format. However....since the film cannisters are of such a strict size - this means that some twenty-three minutes are being excised from "Attack of the Clones", in order to fit it into proper IMAX format.

That's it. *Twenty-three* minutes of beautiful footage is being cut to size the film down enough....we're not talking just four, five, ten or twenty seconds, a few moments here and there....it's almost a full *half-hour* of footage they're taking out. And like my brother, I cannot imagine what they'd deem necessary or needful to remove....but it absolutely breaks my heart and enrages me in any case, leaves me positively tongue-tied, to think of what they *will* end up taking out. They can't afford to lose *any* of it, yet they're chopping ou
  4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    If it comes to Victoria, I'm going to see it. If Lucas okays the cutting of it, (as I suspect he will have to, I trust him not to butcher the good bits. I hope he gets rid of some of the Sound of Music sequences rather than the close-ups of Obi-Wan. There was rather a lot of combat footage that only served to confuse the viewer, too, so I'd be happier to see less of the clonetroops, and thus comparatively more of the Jedi. I think that film could stand a few minutes cut from it, and I'd be interested to see what editting choices are made.

I understand your cavil, Dawn, but I'm not such a purist. I've seen it at the Digital, and I'd love to see it one more time, on the biggest screen on the Island... :)

So Kurt, if it comes to our Imax, can I call this a date? ;)

*Derisa*
  5. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Make it a double-date! I know where Paul and I will be when it hits IMAX!

- Rani
  6. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Riiiiiiiight...."Sound of Music" sequences.... ::raises an eyebrow:: Gee, and when stuff like that is said, you wonder why I keep being *extremely* thankful for other, more positive discussion threads where people actually *get* the symbolism and meaning and *care* about the tender, loving Ani/Padme scenes, among all the others. There's a reason I'm all the more thankful for a retreat like those threads, now. (of course this isn't to say that I've rolled my eyes in *most* eloquent and highly exasperated fashion, and thought some things truly not lawful to be uttered, when little "criticisms" like that keep coming up)

Personally, I still have hopes that AOTC will come to Cinecenta before the DVD release on November 12th. If it does, great, absolutely fantastic....that will absolutely help me to survive until the DVD, that I know. However....even if for some reason Cinecenta doesn't show it beforehand, that too I think I can manage....somehow. It'll be a lot harder, to be sure, but somehow I will find it within myself to survive nonetheless. That DVD, after all, is the ultimate payoff and I, personally, can think of *nothing* better. And if I'm a purist, fine; I embrace that label with pride, honour and joy. As an artiste myself, I know how important that is.

Dawn. (an AOTC purist and *proud* of it!) :)
  7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    An artiste and a purist, huh Dawn? Does that make you a puriste? :) I have started a thread about the whole bashing issue: please post your comments and feelings about bashing/gushing there. Thanks!

The reference to one of the cinematic world's masterpieces, The Sound of Music in regards to some of the love scenes in Attack of the Clones is an honest opinion. Everyone has them, and some of us are more outspoken than others. If I am criticising George Lucas's work, I do not see how that offends you personally.

I am not saying you are stupid, ignorant or deluded if you like his vision and support him. That would be calling myself stupid, ignorant and deluded. I too enjoy his vision, but I see ways in which I would make changes if I could.

Did anyone else find the massive clonetrooper combat scenes to be confusing and somewhat pointless? (The missiles winging off in all directions, the several types of vehicles highlighted for minutes while we saw their various capabilities? I think several minutes of that fotage could be cut without loss to the story. The whole Anakin and Padme on the droid conveyor belt was also too much like a video game to be enjoyable for me... they could cut a lot of that without a blink from me. :)

Anyone else: maybe we could send GL's crew a list of things AOTC would be better off without. :)

*Derisa*
  8. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    There seems have been a big flare up over speculation. As far as I can tell, neither the possibility of the movie moving to IMAX format or the cutting of footage has actually been confirmed. I admittedly have not done a lot of stuff on forums and am probably going to end up sticking my foot in my mouth on this one but it seems rather silly to me to get our backs up over rumors and speculation.
    On a side note, I completely respect both opinions being offered here. I also think there is room for both opinions without anyone taking offense. I believe this forum is a place for civil discussion of anything pertaining to Star Wars. In the spirit of that purpose, I simply think that everyone should respect each other's opinions and not jump to the conclusion that a differing opinion is an attack on yours.
    Still hoping I am not chewing on my ankles here, but I really felt the need to comment on some of atmosphere the forums seem to have taken on. Thanks for your time.
  9. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you, Alakin, that was very well-put and I think needed to be said.

On a similar vein, Derisa's started a discussion thread on "Bash vs. Gush", and I think your concern would be well-received there as well, especially if things take a turn for the worse on that thread. I'll be watching her experiment with a mix of expectations, and hoping for the best. :)

Hugs,

- Rani
  10. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, dear. Well, I'm sorry, guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad/disappointing news....and I know how this will undoubtedly frustrate and stymie some people, because even though I, for instance, and surely other folks as well, had already chosen *not* to see AOTC in IMAX for a variety of reasons....::cough *hacked up* cough::....well, the fact remains - I know some folks were also looking forward to organizing a trip down to the National Geographic theatre on November 1st, in the hopes of sort of reliving, recapturing that good ol' May 19th AOTC premiere spirit. Understandable, I think, in that regard. :)

Now, I don't like being the one to have to say this, as I've already mentioned....but unfortunately, it looks like you'll be disappointed come November - because after checking into it, going down to the museum today and enquiring further, it does in fact appear that the museum's National Geographic IMAX theatre will *not* be getting AOTC. Really, guys, I'm sorry, but it's just not listed here....and I know how much you were looking forward to this little venture, and it really distresses me to have to report this. I wish I had better news for you. :)

I'll give them another quick call on the info line and see if that reveals any further pertinent information, but as it stands right now, I've got to say....that things ain't lookin' too encouraging in this regard. And I'm sorry for that. I know you were hoping for more, better....I get that, I do. :D Still, now....hearten up a little, and keep in mind the fact of the DVD release on November 12th. Keep your chins up, now. :)

Dawn.
  11. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    The company that owns the IMAX theatre in Victoria is the same one that owns the theatre in Niagara Falls.

We have been in contact with our theatre, and they haven't made a final decision yet.

If we hear anything on our end that may be promising for you then I'll pass it along.
  12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    IMAX in Victoria will *not* be screening AOTC.

So... we need to know who wants to go over on the Friday morning of the first of November to one of the Vancouver IMAX theatres that *is* showing it?

From personal experience, the guys over at VanForce are way cool (and super-organised: you guys should check out their planning and discussion thread!) and we know we'd have a grand ole time. If we have advance notice, friendly places to crash may be arranged, as we'll need to overnight it, I'm sure.

So... Who all's up for a Victory base Road Trip? :) any takers?

*Derisa*

13. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Victory Base will be doing a "road trip" to Vancouver to see AOTC at Canada Place IMAX theatre, it's just a question of specifically when.

I'll be in further contact with OBI-DAN, the head organizer for Vancouver's soon-to-be FanForce group, to see about arranging a joint outing.

At this point we can likely arrange ferry pick-up and lodging for those of our members that want to attend, to help keep costs down.

We're very lucky to have this opportunity, folks. Vancouver is only one of nine cities in Canada that is hosting AOTC!

Stay tuned for more info.

Regards,

- Rani

P.S. YJN, I need that info I PM'ed you about, if you have it yet. Could get back to me, please? :)
  14. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    PM me and let me know when you are online, I have new information for you. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.