main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star by Star: A Kick in the Jimmies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Sep 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I have been have staying away from the Council for reasons of spoilers of any sort for SbS. That being said however I have the highest expectations of this book. I have been looking forward to this book now, for maybe a year, year and a half. I actually read other Troy Denning books just to see what his writing style is like. Needless to sat I wasn's disappointed. If the book rings in at an astonishing 624 pages that will be even better. I can't wait to see how he deals with the Jedi, the YV, and Senate, and everything else SW.

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    The only thing I really hope about SbS, is that it won't be a 600+ pages book ala VotF... Because I think VotF is really slow paced, and I don't like that much...

3. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    At the risk of sounding like a newbie, Who the **** are Jimmy and Herbert?

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    It dosn't matter if all the death spec was flase hype or not. We know the book is going to be dark. Denning writes dark. And Coruscant in flames on the cover isn't a good sign. And all the ads say that its the biggest shocker novel yet. Somethings going to happen. And I can't wait to read what happens.

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    "At the risk of sounding like a newbie, Who the **** are Jimmy and Herbert?"

Sorry. We can't tell you, but don't worry, even oldbies don't know. Those are codenames for spoilers that shouldn't have been released.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Anyone remember an interview with an NJO author where he talked about the writing process of the NJO characters. He began writing the story which involved the deaths of characters. However, as he got into writing things, he found he ended up liking the characters too much to develop any death that he would be satisfied with. So, he then wrote new characters into his story - but ended up liking them too. I think the end result that it wasn't clear who would buy it, the existing Star Wars characters or the new Star Wars characters.

The author interviewed was either Keyes or Denning. If it was Keyes, no big deal. However, if it was Denning, then it may contain some information regarding character deaths.

I haven't been able to find the interview transcript again.

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    That was Denning I believe

8. anakin_solo

anakin_solo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2001
    it's gonna be great! 621 pages oh man that's awesome. i think it'll be the best star wars book yet. the plan made by anakin solo to free the refugees or whatever...that sounds awesome. and anakin and tahiri again......

9. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Is this what you were referring to? (You have to scroll down to the "Gen Con 2K Report" story)

Troy Denning mentioned how hard it was to choose a character to kill. He said that he felt bad about killing off a main character, so introduced new characters, but fell in love with these characters as well.

Even more interesting is the name of the informant who sent GhentZ the report on the convention...

10. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    Okay, all I have to say is that I am PUMPED about SBS! I really wish that it were available now because I am running out of Star Wars books to re-read! I am just glad that there's going to be a lot of new books coming out in the next couple of months as we anxiously await AOTC's premiere. Oh man, I am way too excited about all this stuff! AAAAAAHHHHHHH! I can't wait!!!!

11. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    So does this mean we will see some new character in Star By Star? That would be cool.

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Yes Dev, thats the article. I've mentioned it in maybe 20 times since that news came out. No one noticed though. :(

Now we listen... and then we see who wrote it. LOL.

13. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I know who Jimmy and Herbert are... [face_devil]

Anyhoo, I hope Star By Star is good... I hope the NR DOES something...

And DL... turn it down, blinding! Agh!

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Dev...
    Knew I could count on you.

While it wasn't the exact one I was thinking of - someone had the actual Denning comments transcripted from Gen Con somewhere. Ghentz's was a second-hand summary as opposed to direct quotation.

But it will suffice - that's exactly the information I meant.

That is why I've been hesitant to believe Jimmy is the death. I believe that perhaps at one time Jimmy may have been the death, but may have gotten switched to some other character. But, I suppose only time can tell.

(Between you and me Dev, I think we can cover all the bases. I'll throw out some vague, esoteric, long-lost mention of an interview and you can provide the actual link where we find it :D )

15. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I think that Star By Star is going to be the best NJO novel released yet and I'm definitely looking forward to reading it.

16. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    -----
    -----
    Even more interesting is the name of the informant who sent GhentZ the report on the convention...
    -----
    -----

AAAAARGH! HIM!

17. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    PrinceXizor, i don't post on these boards a lot, but I still know who 'Jimmy' is. IT would appear that there wouldn't be much point in keeping it a secret anymore, or do you disagree?

Personally I believe that the Jimmy rumours are a load of hype to pump people up about the book. I maybe a little biased because I think Jimmy is a great character.
    And finally why kill off someone who is one of the most important characters of NJO?

If rants above haven't convinced you that I'm quite desperate for SbS, then uhh, I am, OK! :)

18. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    There goes the explanation again :

One afternoon, there came a guy who pretended to be from publishing and he said that he had read Star by Star. He then revealed who was the major death. He said it in a specific thread he created, but went to others thread saying it without warnings, too... He got quite an angry reaction for this, and most people suspected he was a troll, so he get some sort of 'flaming'... He regreted what he had done, and asked the Gatherer to remove his posts. In order to keep it quiet, the Gatherer confirmed that he was no troll to the few of us that had seen the thing happen, and he asked us to keep it for ourselves. Then DL confirmed it too. Unfortunately, discussion was almost inevitable after such a big spoiler, and someone came up with the nick Jimmy. At first, it was quite easy to find out who he was, but now the rumor mill has made its job and Jimmy's identity is more blurred.

You know who he is. Very well. But don't say it. Some people still wonder who he is and some doesn't even want to know. So in spoiler threads, the 'Jimmy' nick should be used, unless the admins say his true identity can now be said 'openly'...

19. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    And finally why kill off someone who is one of the most important characters of NJO?

Why kill off someone who is one of the most important characters of the Star Wars movie saga? Not one of the major characters (good or bad) introduced in The Phantom Menace makes it to the end of Return of the Jedi.

The death of major characters can serve an important purpose in the larger story arc. Or this could be an apparent death, along the lines of Obi-Wan's story that Vader killed Luke's father, or Gandalf's passing in Lord of the Rings. Either way, only time will tell...

20. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Since PrinceXizor already explained it, I'll add a clarification to my last post:
    The person who claimed to be in publishing had a username very similar to that given by GhentZ's source in the article that I linked to.

21. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... Didn't notice that one... Thanks for pointing that out, Dev !

22. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    thanks for clearing that up everybody, i guess it's just unfortunate that things like that happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.