main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star by Star and such (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AmazingB , Jan 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    There's a very good chance that many of the points that I'm going to bring up in this post have been made before, but this is my first post 'round these parts (and reading all the other threads on Anakin's death is a time investment I just can't make right now) but there are some things that I feel need to be said, that might not have been said previously.

First, I agree with those of you who believe that Anakin will be coming back at some point. I don't really like the idea all that much, but I think killing Anakin is a much worse idea. "Killing" characters and then bringing them back does not bother me as such. Its just that it's happened so many times in the expanded universe (eg. Dash Rendar, Admiral Daala, Ysane Isard, and a bunch of others I'm too lazy to look up). But this isn't really the point of my post. I'm more concerned with Anakin's death.

I have several complaints on the subject, all of which lead me to believe that he's coming back. First, Anakin's death didn't serve to accomplish anything positive. It didn't signal the turning point in the war against the Yuuzhan Vong and it didn't help the other Jedi. What it did was cause Jaina to turn to the darkside and it allowed Jacen to be captured. Hardly the death of a hero.

Secondly, I refuse to believe anyone is dead in Star Wars until there's a funeral or some sort of closure, which we've yet to have regarding Anakin (for those who would argue that the same could be said of Chewbacca's death I offer the following counterarguments 1. he's not a Jedi and 2. a moon fell on him).

Third, Anakin's death sort of seemed to come out of nowhere. He was built up, as the focus of the previous two books, and then he's killed with, what I found to be, very little fanfare. I was reading some of the other Anakin-related posts down below, and someone (I apologize for not remembering who) mentioned that his character was built up as much as it could be, so it made sense for him to be killed. I don't buy that. By that logic, every other major character should have been killed off by now.

Finally, Anakin's death totally ruins the impact of Chewbacca's. The big hype before Vector Prime came out was that one of the major characters was going to die and never come back and no one would ever be the same. Many of us new it was Chewbacca before reading the book (curse you, Star Wars Insider), but it was still shocking and depressing. Anakin's death would (presuming it's final) have a much greater impact on pretty much every character in the expanded universe. So what was the point of killing Chewbacca? As I recall, the reasoning was to show that the Yuuzhan Vong are a serious threat and that no one in the galaxy is safe any more. Killing Anakin accomplishes the same goals, with greater effectiveness, at least as far as the other characters are concerned (not necessarily so for those of us reading), which, in my opinion, makes Chewbacca's death look like some grandiose hotshotting in an effort to create a buzz around the new books.

This has all been rooted in what I consider to be one of the dumbest expanded universe deaths and my opinion that Anakin was, by far, the most interesting of the Solo children.

I think my rambling ends there.

Amazing

2. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I never liked Ani, let him rest in piece.

3. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Amazing, I totally agree with you!

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, AmazingB, like the Genghis, is a follower of the Marvel rule of death. :)

Jedi Ben

5. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I agree AmazingB, you posed the exact points I'd ben thinking of for a while. Unfortunately - we're likely to see the closure you were speaking off in the next few books.

6. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Nice call, no contradictions here AB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.