main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star by Star Audio excerpt

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mecca-Don, Oct 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup, you can even try to find it at their official website, real.com, I think, but in that case, I wish you a lot of luck, it's really hidden (ya know, just to make you buy the 'plus' edition)

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    You're right. He's not dead. Most people who get hit a dozen times with lethal ranged weapons and stabed and slashed a dozen more time with melee poison blade like weapons don't die. I mean, everyone who gets shot in the shoulder lives in stories, right? And shoulder is one of the worst places to be shot. All those major veins, and all those nerves that go down into the arm.

So, Anakin is still alive. He hasn't died yet. Despite more than a dozen confermed lethal blows to his body.

:(

3. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Add to all that the fact that Anakin's cells are "burning and bursting." That generally isn't too conducive to life.

4. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I listened to it, but couldn't make much sense of it, especially with the background noise and music going on.

5. jadesaber2

Oct 17, 2000
    Basically, a bunch of Jedi are storming a building, trying to get to a Vong-mutated vornskr queen. Anakin and Tahiri are with someone who is hurt, possibly unconcious. Anakin tells Tahiri to go, and she knows he's not coming back. He gets to the building, but the Queen isn't there. A whole bunch of Vong are. They attack him, he tells Jacen to take over the operation, and starts fighting. Anakin gets hit multiple times, opens himself up fully to the Force, leading to the aforementioned bursting cells, kills lots of Vong, but can't hold them off. Jacen and Jaina want to help, but Anakin tells them to go after the Queen. His last words in the excerpt are, "I can't hold out."

6. SCI_FI_NUT

SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2001
    Yes most people under those conditions don't survive but let's continue this line of thought...

Most people who have their legs diced up, left to bleed to death on the floor. Loose most of their blood. Have a turniquet made from a unsanitary slug put in place, are then trown in a poisn ridden sewer flood. Half frozen and then thrown on a ship with out a doctor/full bacta tank the entire time being bounced around violently while unconcious also tend to not only live but also not LOOSE their legs to gang green/infection.

Despite remarks to the contrary this is still FANTASY. and on occasions charecters can get away with superhuman feats. I'm not saying he won't die, just that you shouldn't clai he is baised souly on a single passage that contains something superhuman. Besides acroding to the spoiler he dies on Mykr because he can't get force contact to heal, by that execert i'd say he is in a fairly strong contact with the force. which means the spoiler may just be wrong, remeber it traveled through word of outh, not the most reliable way to send accurate news.

7. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    "Besides acroding to the spoiler he dies on Mykr because he can't get force contact to heal, by that execert i'd say he is in a fairly strong contact with the force. which means the spoiler may just be wrong"

Or, the spoiler isn't really wrong and that Anakin lives through this ordeal and later on undergoes the ordeal explained in the spoiler.

8. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Still, the more I listen to this excerpt, the more I'm led to believe that Anakin, though in real bad shape, will still be living after SbS.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    As long as there is hope for Anakin's survival, I will cling to it.

10. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I'm not a hopeless optimist in that I don't think anakin survives. But I do make room for that possibility.

Why would Del Rey release a spoiler of this magnitude? Maybe it isnt really the case, meant to mislead us into thinking that anakin is dead. Or, better yet, what is anakin is actually captured and made into the Vong/Jedi that Tahiri almost became? What a plot twist! Jaina goes to the darkside to try to bring Anakin back from the Vong and Tahiri is crushed, because she alone knows what Anakin is going through. Also, it might make anakin able to "fully" sense the Vong.

Ya just never know (until Oct. 30 :D)

DarthParth

11. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Ooh, interesting development here. I also got that impression, that they were setting us up for one of those "corran-death's," and that we'll be seeing some sort of reappearance. Of course, like Vergere said, the spoiler could happen later on in the book. Still, there's hope.

12. jadesaber2

Oct 17, 2000
    I really hope he survives. He's become my favorite EU character in the space of 8 books.

Plus, he owes Tahiri a kiss! Can't disappoint the lady, can we? ;)

13. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Aaargh! I can't believe we have to wait three more weeks for the book! I hope, that if the spoiler takes place later, he'll at least get a last kiss. What Tahiri said...that was so sad!!!! :_|

14. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    AAAAAAARGH! I NEED TO READ THAT BOOK NOW!

I didn't hear the part of the spoiler about him dying on Myrkyr. Are you sure that wasn't speculation.

I still hope he doesn't die, actually.

Hey, shouldn't there be a spoiler warning in the title of this thread?

15. _admiral_kettch_

_admiral_kettch_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    Here's the excerpt for the person without speakers, I was too for the last couple hours.:p

Anakin spun out from behind the door block and batted a razor bug from the air and found himself staring through a jungle of pulsing white vines, their corkscrew stalks rising out of planting bins filled with grimey smelly mud. The Yuuzhan Vong were ahead everywhere, their presence too dispersed and indestinct to tell him much. A pair of thudbugs sent him diving for cover. He exchanged his lightsabre for the powerblaster and came up firing. The first shot left him so light-dazzled, he only glimpsed a dark shape on the opposite side of the bin, diving for cover. He spun around the end of the box, heard the snap-hiss of an igniting lightsabre, then Tizar Sebetines's(a jedi's name) familiar hissing. The Yuuzhan Vong had thrown his last bug. Behind Anakin, the longblaster boomed. He felt panic from Tahiri and turned to find her rushing into the Grashaal. A ball of fire followed her through the breach. Tahiri went flying. Anakin rushed to help, but she was up before he took two steps.

"Magma spitters! We're cut off."

Anakin did not bother to look. "Tekli?"

Tahiri pointed behind him where the Chadra-fan was sprinking stink salt on Tizar's forked tongue. The Barabel was smiling, but not waking.

"Take him, and go." Every word filled Anakin's belly with fire. He pointed to the others, "You may need to cut a way out."

"You," Tahiri said. "I'm not going-"

"Do it!" Anakin snapped. When Tahiri's face fell he spoke more gently, "You need...to help Tekli. I'll be along."

"Yes, Tahiri," Tekli said. She cast a knowing glance at Anakin and then knelt beside the Barabel and began to slap him.

"Tizar is not responding. I cannot move him and work on him both."

Tahiri looked doubtful, but could hardly refuse to help. Blinking back a tear she stretched up to kiss Anakin on the lips, then caught herself, shook her head. "No. For that, you have to come back."

Anakin gave her his best lopsided smile.

"Soon then, soon," Tahiri repeated.

"May the force be with you." He set of at a painfully slow run. Twice he dropped to a knee when his legs buckled. He had to beat the enemy assault force to the door. At last he cleared the planting beds and spied the door membrane twenty metres to his left. As wide as an X-wing was long and twice as high. The far corner of the membrane rose slightly. Anakin ducked back back into the planting beds, free hand already pulling a thermal detanator from his harnass. When Anakin saw the figure who stepped through he nearly dropped the detonator. The newcomer's back was turned, but he wore a tattered jumpsuit and stood a head taller than most humans. He set off for the Voxin pen at a sprint.

Lowie? Anakin called, using the force to make his weak voice carry. He reached out, but felt only the same hazy Yuuzhan Vong presence as before. The newcomer turned, revealing the profile of a sandy-haired human, who raised an old E-11 blaster rifle. Anakin was already behind a planting bin activating his comlink. "Imposter!" he warned. "Trying for the pens!"

The blaster fire crescendoed to a defeaning roar as did the jedi frustration. The firing angles were impossible. A grenade detonated somewhere and Jaina yelled for a charge.

The door membrane began to roll upward, revealing forty pairs of Yuuzhan Vong feet waiting to rush inside. Anakin opened himself to the force completely, drawing it into himself through the power of his emotion. Not through his anger or fear, like a dark jedi, but through his love for his family and his fellow jedi knights, through his faith in the jedi purpose, and the promise of the future. The force poured in from all sides, filling him with a swirling maelstrom of power and purpose, saturating him and devouring him. There was nothing to be frightened of, no reason to grieve. He could feel it flowing into him and himself flowing into it. Anakin was the force. The force was Anakin.

Firing as he ran, Anakin raced along the rising door. Every bolt blasted a Yuuz

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Wow, I'm really looking forward to that book!

17. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    dislike that force bit more now :)

And I still think it is a bad part to give. Conquest gave chapter 2. Didnt reveal much about the story. With this, wether he dies or not (STAY DEAD FOR PETE'S SAKE! I hate people coming back from the dead :) ), it is still a spoiler. You know the Queen isnt there. That is news to me. So, there is a pretty major spoiler, IMO. You telling me the first part they dare to give us is so late on? That doesn't fill me with confidence

18. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    Thanks admiral kettch for typing all of that out-much appreciated :)

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    May whatever God(s) you believe in bless you, _admiral_kettch_!

20. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup. Thanks a lot ! I had some hard time understanding some bits.

21. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Wow, that excerpt was amazing. I had to listen to it a couple of times to take it all in. It makes me really impatient for the book to come out now.

Also, Anakin encountered an 'imposter' in the complex. Does that mean there is a high possibility of the Jedi fighting against Peace Brigaders aswell as YV, or was it a YV in a masker?

22. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    "The newcomer's back was turned, but he wore a tattered jumpsuit and stood a head taller than most humans"

I was under the impression it was a Yuuzhan Vong in a masquer--aren't the YV supposed to be taller than most humans?

23. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    true, true. I was hoping they would get a chance to kill lots of Peace Brigaders - turn coats really %^*! me off!!!!! :D

24. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    I don't think its "Telki." I think it was supposed to be Tenel Ka, though i could be mistaken as well. The readers say things differently than i percieve them to be said. Yuzzhan Vong form example, it took me a while to figure what htey were saying.

Awesome excerpt though.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED JIMMY! You bastards! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.