main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star By Star Countdown!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by stevo, Oct 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Paperback will be out in like 5 months.

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Probably not til July.

3. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    The NJO has it's critics, but for me, the fact that we are this excited over the latest release is testament to it's brilliance.

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    It's not so brilliant with Jimmy gone. :_|

5. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    I know!

6. PuppetMaster42

PuppetMaster42 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2000
    Someone asked about laydown and street dates. I use to manage a Borders so I can give you the explanation I was given. One of the reasons the publishers need to be strict about release dates has to do with the bestseller lists. You need to sell a lot of books all at once to make these lists. If the books are sold as soon as they get in, then the bump needed to push these books onto various lists is lost.
    Example: Store A gets SbS 2 weeks before the release date. They put it out. They sell 25 one week and 15 the next and 10 on the week it was supposed to be release when the number of copies counts. The book is not kept track of until the on sale date. So they sold more copies in the 2 weeks prior to the book sales being counted for a bestseller. Final numbers on a book in terms of total sales aren?t really known until almost a year after the book is published. One of the ways to get the book out there is the bestseller lists.
    Hope this helps
    PM 42

7. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    That's so selfish of the publishers!! Ugh. :(

8. PuppetMaster42

PuppetMaster42 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2000
    No, it's not selfish. It's a matter of business which feelings rarely come into play. We want more Star Wars books. If the publisher is not given some sort of incentive to publish more books (bestseller) then we will be back were we were in the early 80s with no books being published or very few since they have no motivation. :)
    PM

9. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I think it's selfish. Bestseller lists are frivilous. They make the same amount of money no matter when it's sold. And Star Wars books would sell anyway. I wish bestseller lists didn't even exist, personally.

I don't see why "bestseller" cannot be determined by how many books are sold total, rather than how many are sold in a week to get the book on some silly list.

10. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    I just want my SBS!

11. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Patience, young Padawan. You will have it, when you are calm. At peace. :D

*starts pulling out hair* I want SbS now!!!!! grrrrr ;)

12. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    It promotional, if an author has a book that goes to #1 in hardcover the paperback will sell a bunch of copies and the authors next book will sell copies because they have the words 'from the #1 bestselling author' or 'The New York Times #1 bestseller'. They will sell if they have those words on.

13. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Remember, it's not only SbS we have to look forward to, but also the first Ep2 teaser a couple of days later!

It will be a great week for SW fans!!!

14. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    A wonderful week it will be, but it isn't that week yet, why can't it be next week and not this week!

15. RikAntinney

RikAntinney Jedi Master

Sep 28, 2001
    The NJO has reduced me to calling bookstores a few days before the release dates and giving the ISBN to see if they're in stock yet.

Unfortunately, around here on SW books they stick to the dates.

16. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for explaining PuppetMaster. I wasn't sure what the big deal was. I guess that would make sense.

17. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    The frustration!! Just give us the damn books!

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I've been near my computer since yesterday, waiting for information that Recovery is ready for download. So far nothing. I hope they don't make that available for download on the same day Star by Star comes out. Rebecca191, you said you're going to be doing a double load of lessons on Monday so you can read Star by Star on Tuesday when you get it. If they make Recovery availale for download on Tuesday as well, Rebecca191, I suggest you do a triple load on Monday. That way, you can get both on Tuesday, read Star by Star on Tuesday, and Recovery on Wednesday.

19. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    Someone sounds a little selfish, since said person already has the audiobook... :)

I'm going out scoutin friday. Only 2 bookstores so it won't take long.

20. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes, but the audiobook kinda sucks, it's so chopped up.

21. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    yeah I know, I don't believe I've ever managed to listen to a full audiobook.

I heard they left out the kyp/jaina make out scene.

22. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Now, say what you will, you are entitled to your opinion about what couples belong together. But, I will point out that if you hope for anything between Kyp and Jaina, you will be dissapointed for several reasons.

1. Rebirth was written after SBS, due to cancellations. So SBS won't follow up on Rebirth, and Jaina hated Kyp at the end of Rebirth anyway.

2. Kyp isn't even in SBS, I don't think. If he is, it's just a cameo left out of the audio.

23. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "1. Rebirth was written after SBS, due to cancellations. So SBS won't follow up on Rebirth, and Jaina hated Kyp at the end of Rebirth anyway"

I'm pretty sure rebirth was written before SBS. Conquest was the book added when Knightfall was canceled, not Rebirth. I could be wrong though.

Face Loran

24. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    You're wrong. Greg Keyes was originally hired just to write an Anakin Solo novel...namely, Conquest. When Knightfall was canceled, Conquest's release date was moved up six months and Keyes agreed to write a second novel, which became Rebirth.

25. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "1. Rebirth was written after SBS, due to cancellations. So SBS won't follow up on Rebirth, and Jaina hated Kyp at the end of Rebirth anyway."

So... maybe Keyes didn't come up with the Jania/Kyp relationship. Maybe Denning did and put it in SbS. Then Keyes had to go back and put it in Rebirth. And if not, it still works.

They wouldn't make a continuing plot point in one novel and ignore it in the next.

Yee gawds, whata messa saying? Dis is da New Jedi Order! Dis happen alde time.

That last part was a joke. :D Can't have fun unless you make fun of it once and awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.