main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star By Star Cover on TOS!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Pikachuwbacca, Apr 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Cleft chins come from both sides of the family (look at Han, Luke, Anakin I). So both sons could easily have cleft chins, I think.

2. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think I've come up with something for discussion. The title of this novel is Star By Star. Anyone else notice that the male on the back cover (whom I believe is Jacen) has a star shining straight through his right eye's pupil? This is no coincidence, so I'm thinking something important shall occur to/with this character. Hopefully this is something real I've stumbled upon and not just garbage.

3. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I still think that that is Anakin on the back cover (he looks exactly like Hayden Christianson). Also, couldn't that star mean that he is taking things back star by star? It is in his eye, so maybe that means he sees things others don't. That would hold true since in Conquest Anakin develops a deeper insight in to the Vong.

4. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I hope to see Leia kicking some Vong ass in SBS! Leia, with a lightsaber, in stress because of her being forced to say where are the Jedi... Maybe she plans an escape and uses her lightsaber. We'll see..

Again, the lightsaber she lost in BP, was it the red one? The one Luke gave her?

5. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I suppose a star could be much more optimistic. I have yet to read Conquest, so I may be missing some reasonably important info on these characters. Anyway, it's something to discuss and think about.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    It would be great to see the Jedi side of Leia, not the political side for a change, would be interested to see if she finally lives up to her potential in the Force. Perhaps there could be some leanings towards the Dark Side, with motivation for revenge against Tsavong Lah?

7. Jedi Wing

Jedi Wing Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 1999
    Hmm, I don't think that's Leia on the back, I mean it wouldn't make sense if they made Luke look all that much older and Leia still look like she did in ANH. The lightsaber looks purplish I guess, so yeah I think it's Jaina, but it'd be great to see Leia in action again.

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Guys, it's Leia. She looks like Leia. The artist used her normal, white robe look. She has more than 1 red saber, and who says she couldn't make a new one? Settle down.

I still haven't desided on which Solo kid that is on the back. Most likly Anakin. Makes sence with the story.

And the thing on the cover is way to humanoid to be a vornskr. It is some Vong, maybe Shimraa. Although the Jedi-hunting things are propabaly the vornskrs.

9. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    The cover is very good overall and I like it.

Here's my thoughts on thought on the Solo 'young adult' (we can debate the difference if you want to) on the back cover. I'm guessing it Anakin but it could be Jacen.
    1) half of his face is dark and half is lighted.
    2) There is a star with a 'target' on his (or her if Jaina becace he looks male) on the eye of the dark half.
    3) If you look closely right above his hair you see something. Look at it for a while and I think you'll see Darth Vader's cloak and his helmet with a crack down the center of it. (that's a little of a strech but there is deafiltily a crack in a helmet and cape there)

Conclutions-????? Somebody flirting with the dark side????

Then I'd say the person is Leia not Jaina, she looks too much like Leia not to be Leia.

Now for the Stars.
    I believe Star by Star is what the Vong do leading up to Coruscant. The ones with the 'targets' are the next planets in line with the big one on the front being Coruscant.

10. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    Great cover. Cliff Nielsen really did a fabulous job on SbS. The colors schemes really work great. The bules and purple really symbolize the dispare the NR and Jedi are going through.

As to whom I think is on the cover, well on the back I say it's Anakin without a doubt and Jaina. Makes me wonder where Jacen is? Perhaps the mission was to much for him and he doesnt make it out?

On the front cover I am absolutly sure that is Supreme Overlord Shmirra. The head shot on the front is clearly humanoid in shape. A vornshner doesn't even come close to having humanesque shape around the head and neck. Not only that but right now is the time for Shmirra to arrive. The saga is half over and the main villian has yet to show up in person. Now is the time for Shmirra to reveal himself to both the Jedi and the GFFA.

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    My thoughts:

First of all, of the NJO hardback covers, this is my ~least~ favorite. I can't stand the color scheme, and it seems to be a mix of different styles that don't mesh well.

Luke looks wierd. After looking like himself on Rebirth's cover, he now looks he's had some Vong implants.

I don't know whether that's Anakin or Jacen on the back (it's probably Anakin, but I'm not 110% sure), but whoever it is is the best part of the whole cover, along with the burning Coruscant.

I'd say that that's a Vong head on the front cover, not a Vornskyr. Although they're probably the fearsome new creature that's been released.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot: Judging from the hints of Vader's mask around Anakin's face, and the line from the offical site "Is the vanquishing of a murderous foe worth the temptation of the dark side," Anakin will fall to the Dark Side, at least for a little while. [face_devil]

12. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I was just wondering. Do you really think that Nielson hid tons of hints and clues in the swirls and blurbs, or do you just think that they are there for astheyic reasons and are to be left to personal explanations. i for one won't belive anything until I hear from an official source. i would love to hear what Nielson himself has to say about the cover.

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    About the star in the eye: You'll notice that there's a whole sequence of similar looking stars across the whole back and front cover. Just pointing it out.

And here's my post from earlier that got no replies:

OK.

A few thoughts:

1) How the hell could that cover head be a vong? Even with a masquer, how could something with that pronounced a muzzle masquerade as human?

2) Is that skeleton thing on the back a Vong skull, or maybe a HUMAN SKULL, signifying a death? Could it be?

14. death_blooms

death_blooms Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    How could it be a vong on the cover, with no scarification and tattoos?

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Good point. Perhaps it is a Vong / Vornskyr hybrid - a Vongskyr or a Skryong! :)

16. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Maybe it's the Skycrawlker. A Skryong ;)

Oh yes, the Skull- it's looks somehow mechanical to me.

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    It can't be mechanical - not the Vong - it would be an abomination!

18. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Could be something used by the NR or the Imperials.

19. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    The thing near Anakin looks like Darth Vader's mask...could he fall to the Dark Side in this book?

20. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Like I've said, I hope it is Leia. The EU would finally be doing justice to her character by making her finally accept her Jedi heritage. It would be a return to the Leia character we all know. Leia in the classic trilogy was a warrior, someone who basically left the Rebel Alliance for a year after ESB to rescue Han. That Leia would take action and it's about time they have this Leia take action.

Also, I really hope Anakin doesn't fall to the Dark Side. It seems that every powerful Jedi in the EU has fallen to the Dark Side. Luke, Kyp, Zekk, Kam, Dev, etc. In the end, they are all redeemed. It really cheapens Anakin's redemption in ROTJ. The classic trilogy establishes that once you tread down the path to the Dark Side, it will forever dominate your future. That's what makes Anakin's redemption by Luke all the more remarkable. The books have basically established that you can turn to the Dark Side because in the end you will be saved. It's another one of those EU recurring storylines.

I think Anakin flirting with the Dark Side is good but he shouldn't fall to it completely. He doesn't have to turn just because his father is Anakin Skywalker. Basically, it would be like looking at the prequels.

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Au contraire. I think that they definitely have to have one of the mains go to the dark side, and then they have to avoid the temptation of redemption and force a sibling or uncle or parent to kill him or her off.

22. Corellia_Sunrise

Corellia_Sunrise Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2001
    What an amazing job by Mr. Nielson. This makes the wait until SbS is released even more unbearable. My vote is for Jaina on the back cover, she looks a little too youthful to be Leia.

23. anyueman

anyueman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2000
    Neilsen. N-E-I-L-S-E-N.

24. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    wow. that is sooooo neat. this changes things immensely

25. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Okay, I'm just totally throwing this in for discussion, but is there any way the face on the back isn't a Solo kid at all?

The reason I even thought that perhaps it wasn't, was the thing going on with the head. Could it possibly be Tahiri since she had all the mind games played on her? Just a thought.... please, don't be too harsh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.