main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Destroyer pilot training

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ugohr Poof, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    Sometimes I wonder who gets picked to pilot Star Destroyers - in comparison the process for selecting TIE fighter pilots is better documented.

Is it the elite among TIE fighter pilots that end up piloting the Star Destroyers? The pilots that don't quite make it through the whole process of training TIE fighter pilots but nevertheless showed some piloting promise?

One would think that critical assets like Star Destroyers (and even more importantly, even larger ships than Imperators) would be manned by the most elite pilots in the Imperial Navy...

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    A more important question to ask is how did they pick the guy to drive the death star :p

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    God, I love when people make posts for which a potential reply is a Robot Chicken sketch...

As for the actual question... My biased opinion is that it's probably a lot like training for being the helmsman on any large ocean-going vessel in the real world.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ^^ Yeah, I think it's a totally different skillset, and probably not a one-man job.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I once rigged X-wing Alliance to let me pilot a Star Destroyer. There was no cockpit art, obviously (it used the default cockpit for ships without a defined one, which is a shuttle cockpit).

Because you were only meant to fly starfighters and light freighters, the game made all of the Star Destroyer's weapons fire forward where the reticule was. Talk about a devastating alpha strike.

Also it was slow. And I tried spinning, but it turns out things could still hit me even if I tried a barrel roll.

Kylun and jSarek like this.
  6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    So it wasn't a good trick?

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, it probably really confused the enemy to see a Star Destroyer attempting to spin, jink, and weave like it had a drunken helmsman.

jSarek likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Piloting a TIE and Helming a SD is the difference between operating a 8 foot boat with a 3HP motor and helming the USS Nimitz. Completely different skill sets.

jSarek likes this.
  9. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    Ok I'll be the geek and answer this one seriously...

if you are looking for this tidbit in order to write some fiction, for your RP, or just to connect the dots in that area of the brain you reserve for EVERYTHING STAR WARS..
    I will put forth this idea...

research our navy, and how an aircraft carrier is captained, that is most likely how a star destroyer operates... you have different officers manning different terminals and ship functions and the captain and his #2 pretty much dictating to them what they want all on the bridge. Submarine movies are a great way to get the gist of a ship (although they are boats I guess) you can clearly see the heirarchy and how different officers man different stations.

10. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Good answer. My opinion is that A TIE pilot would come out of Imperial Starfighter Command. A helmsman on a capital ship would go through regular naval training and be posted as a helmsman on the bridge crew. Their training and selection would be completely independent of one another. To expand on the above you're attempting to compare a F/A-18E Super Hornet pilot with the helmsman of a Burke-class Destroyer. After basic training these two will never see each other again. I'm guessing the helmsman of real world navy ships as well as the Imperial Starfleet would actually be an enlisted rank as opposed to an officer like a starfighter pilot.

Sarge and Ord Sorrell like this.