main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Destroyers Shielding

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PrinceXizor, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Knight: nope... I admire what Saxton's done, and I (broadly) agree with him about sensor domes and the length of the Ex, for instance, but not on everything...

Sturm: yeah...

- The Imperial Ewok

2. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I go with sensordomes, especially for the longrange sensors.

In the first blueprints of the Stardestroyers they were sensordomes.

In the movies they were never called shieldgenerators OR sensordomes.

The A-Wing would have never reached them if the shields were up. So shields are down, A-Wing smashes in globe - Conclusion: They are anything but shieldgenerators. No need for complicated explenations.

Unfortunately the EU follows the blanders made by WEG and others.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    First off, I don't believe Arvel purposely crashed into the Executor's bridge, just look at the scene in the movie- laser fire along the SSD's surface nails an X-Wing and sends Arvel's A-Wing spinning out of control- which is why he's screaming since he has no more control over his ship, and for further evidence, look how wildly he spin was spinning around as it crashed into the bridge. The only compromise I can think of is he lost MOST of his ship's controls but was able to steer the arc of his spin so he'd slam into the bridge, since that way his death would do more damage than him crasging eslewhere into the SSD.

As for the comparison to our current naval ships and such, the one fault in using that comparison is that sea vessels don't need their "sensors" to work below them, which is why they are on top, because they are mainly needed for surafce and air contacts (true, they probably ahve sonar for underneath them, but taht would be seperate from the domes). A space vessell such as an ISD or SSD would need to see below themselves just as well as above themselves. So, if the domes were if fact sensors for that sort of purpose, they would logically have similar structures below the ship as well. But they don't. So sensors would have be utilized through some other means, and most likely placed in multiple locations throughout the ship to give them the full "lay of the land". So if the domes aren't sensors, and aren't communications (as we know thats between the domes), that only leaves the possibility of them being shield generators, since, presumably, the shields can be projected around the entire ship from a single location, especially if the actual energy shields are "bubble" shaped. Also, I think the reason the domes are on top is they wanted thgem near the bridge so the shields would be strongest there, if they are indeed such weak points on the craft.

I do like the one-dome-for-ray-shielding, one-dome-for-particle-shielding theory though...it would explain why the A-Wing could get through to the bridge with the destruction of only one dome.

I think the reason there's a blind spot behind the bridge tower is they figured they really didn't need to waste sensors during production just so the crew would be able to tell what was being thrown away with the garbage.

"Sensor station, report."

"We have three rebel fighters on approach, plus one corvette. Oh, and in the trash being thrown away today we have 326 sets of womprat bone scraps from last night, 100 gallons of liquid waste, 32 pounds of scrap metal, 1 Ewok and..my chrono! Ah bugger! I was wondering what happened to that...."

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Regardless of what Saxton has written (and you should not believe what he says in any case), they are shield generators. Period.

5. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Thanks ImpEwok and 2nd Quest. Its just a theory, and it'll never be anything more than that, or go beyond this topic, but it potentially fixes a few problems.

I think that the SWTC works with all the sources he is given, puts emphasis on movie sources and gives his opinion. This means that in cases of continuity problems, contradictions and the like, he gives an answer, but not one that will be universally satisfactory. Such as here.

Its a commentary, an essay, not a definitive and inequivocal guide to star wars technology. Its still awesome though.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Correct. So in cases where his work conflicts witht he movies or EU, the movies or EU take precedence.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Yeah, SWTC uses 'scientific method' and the LFL definition of canon fairly strictly, which is what drives Saxton to some of his odder (in EU terms) conclusions - eg, the Endor holocaust, all the provisional classes of SDs...

- The Imperial Ewok

8. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I love how this is still an issue. I love how we can argue about it. All the valid arguments make me laugh out loud. All the page long explanations are even funnier.

The domes are shield generators. Why? Because the A-wings blow them up and the shields go away. The Imperials SAY this. That is why their ship IS DESTROYED. Also, everything else, sourcebooks, tech books, video games, point to those as being 'shield generators.' It doesn't have to make sense. Remember how many things in Star Wars don't.

9. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, the dome that was destroyed certainly HAS TO DO with shields, but we've got tons of theories about exactly what that scene meant.

I'm still a little confused.

10. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    "considering that they look like radar domes on modern warships"
    Yes they do.. I wonder if they used model parts from a model ship to make them..

But as to the function of those domes. Modern war ship radar do not have to scan down or below the ship. They have to use sonar for that. A whole different kind of system. In space you would need to scan in a total sphere around the ship. The same kind of sensor would be needed below the ship as above to eliminate a blind spot. We would see these domes on the bottom of the ship too.

11. Ktulu666

Ktulu666 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2001
    Also, what would be the advantage to destroy the sensor domes.....I mean, it doesn't cut visual contact, it would be a disadvantage, but a much smaller one than losing means to raise the shields back

12. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Here is my view on things.

All power is diverted from the ships power generator or engins (can't rember where it comes from)and into the domes which then distribute the power to the projectors around the ship.

Then if one is lost then the projectors arn't getting any power which could lead to some collapsing under massed fire(which could come from the fleet).

As for the A-Wing that hit the bridge, The pilot lost control of his fighter due to damage and so made his death count for something by making sure it was pointing in the right direction.

13. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    P.S.

1).Against the domes being sensors -

(a). Why would you need two sensors that big in the same place?

(b). If they are there, and are that powerful, why couldn't they detect where the falcon went when it was so close?

(c). Why did operation "parasite" in X-Wing: Iron Fist target the sensors to drop the shields?

and

2). The SSD went into the DS because -

(a). It was having problems in the first place.

(b). In the X-Wing books it seems to be a standard tactic to target the engins of an enemy craft, so it is safe to assume that they were attacking there aswell.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    (b). In the X-Wing books it seems to be a standard tactic to target the engins of an enemy craft, so it is safe to assume that they were attacking there aswell.

Correct. We can even see the Executor's engines aflame as it crashes into the Death Star.

15. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Also is there anything in any book/comic where most of our technical info comes from to suggest that they are anything else?

I know that i haven't come across anything.

16. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Watch the movie: The rebelfighter would have never been able to reach and to destroy the dome if the shields were still up. So they had to be down BEFORE the fighter crashed into the dome. It CAN´T be a shieldgenerator.

The interpretation of the globes to be part of the shielding mistakes cause with result.
    The globes could be destroyed because the shields were already down, not the shields went down because the globes were destroyed.

Why did they need two sensordomes?

Its a question of symmetry. If there was only one dome on one side, there would be a much bigger blind spot, then with two sensordomes. Despite that they still can´t detect what is covered by the hull of the ship, what excplains Hans success with hiding the Falcon in TESB. So its reasonable to assume that the domes are longrange sensors, while closeup sensors are covering the rest of the hull.

It is also impossible to assume that they are different kind of shield projectors or are we supposed to believe that the left side of the SD is protected by rayshields and the right side by particelshields?

Iron Fist doesn´t count, it follows the error of the official material.

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The star wars universe Ain't real what ever story teller says is what happens. When you can prove to me that SD are real you can tell me who or what is in error. But not until then. Until then it's only authors and story tellers and lucas who have any rights as to what is and isn't part of continuity.

The problem with using the movie as evidence is it doesn't flat out say anthing. Unlike star trek people don't break out into technobabble to explain details. So 2 sides read into it in the way they want too. Either you got the ones that go about saying Fictionalists are wrong. Or the ones that say the Supposositionists are wrong. Either way it gets far too Nerdy. Yet still only the ones payed to do something actually have the write to say anything and that is what is considered true by all of LFL.

They will never listen to fan based supposition.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    FTeik--please stop believing the BS that is in the Technical Commentaries. They are fanfiction, nothing more, so what they say can and will be overridden by the novels.

We have already explained how the A-wings were able to get under the shields. They are shield generators because there is NO evidence for them being sensor domes.

19. Jedi_Cryix

Jedi_Cryix Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2001
    This is an amusing debate, but if i see one more person say that the awing crashed into the dome, im going to cry.

You guys crack me up "Watch the movie. It couldnt have crashed into the dome." Riiight.

If you guys would actually watch the movie, it would be obvious that what COULD have happened was: the fighters which were strafing the tower weakened the shields enough so that thier weapons got through. The shield tower blew and the next thing we see is an awing crashing into the BRIDGE!(NOT THE DOME!)

I also agree with the statement that star wars doesnt have to make sense.

20. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    "star wars doesnt have to make sense."

Sure.. but it is fun to try and make it.. That is why we are here.. to have fun.. making sense out of this stuff is part of that fun..

21. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Well it seems that some of you haven't been listening.

FTeik - Jedi_Cryix is right, the fighter that took out the shield dome did not crash into it, it fired a proton torpedo
    that penatrated the shield and destroyed the dome, and shield penatration has been shown time and again in the EU.

Anyone else???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.