main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Destroyers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarkJediDurron, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkJediDurron

DarkJediDurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    How long does it take to build an Imperial Class Star Destroyer?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    About 12.8 months, :p, ;), [face_laugh], J/K.

3. DarkJediDurron

Feb 24, 2002
    Are you lying? cuz the reason i wanna know is, i was readin the stuff about te size of the imperial fleet and i was wonderin just how long it would take to build one star destroyer.

4. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    God, another Star Destroyer thread.

5. DarkJediDurron

Feb 24, 2002
    I haven't seen a star destroyer thread asking about how long it took to build a star destroyer. Not in a long time anyways.

6. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    17.6 months

But seriously. If you consider they built 25,000 Imperial-class Star Destroyers by the height of the Empire, which would have likely been about the OT era, and if you assume that they were building the ISD for about 10-15 years before the Battle of Yavin then they would have averaged perhaps 1,667-2,500 ISD's a year. If they had less Star Destroyer construction docks than their yearly output, then they could produce a single Imperial Star Destroyer in less than a year. And if the Imperial Star Destroyer was constructed exclusively at the Kuat Drive Yards facilities, then they may have been able to construct a single ISD in a few months or less.

7. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    No, but there were quite a few ISD threads, but I have to agree, they are pretty cool in design so I really don't mind the threads...

How long do they take to build? Let me answer with another question;
    "How many Wookie slaves can dance on the top of a Star Destroyer's bridge?"

The more slaves you have, the faster you get the job done I suppose. Kuat of Kuat never mentionned it in the books.

8. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Well if you consider that the ISD bridge tower is about 265 meters in width and a Wookie probably needs at least two meters of floor space to dance without bumping into anyone, then 132 Wookies could dance across the width of a Star Destroyer bridge. Multiplied by the length of the bridge top which averages about 87 meters that can hold about 43 Wookies lengthwise, then you can fit about 5,676 dancing Wookies on an ISD bridge. Of course some Wookies would have to dance on the communications array and shield generator domes...

[face_plain]

9. MysteryWhiteBoy8

Sep 4, 2001
    Not complaining about the Star Destroyers in anyway. I've been defending them. I just wish that there were more of them around still. . . . maybe the GFFA wouldn't have gotten so vongified in the process.

However, in the Hutt Gambit Han Solo remarks that the Imperial-class Destroyers are newer. No idea how new he means, but new enough that they wouldn't be seeing outer rim duty. So maybe that just means Acclamator's and Victory's for the 10-15 years. Who knows. Vongified.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    :D LOL! Raptor...
    I'm glad I can appreciate the full humor in that post. Pure comedy gold. :)

11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Well, the empire was able to finish more than 50% of a battlestation with a minimum diameter of 800 km (equal to 2.98 Billion ISDs)in less than a year inside an outer rim system with no industrial facilities of its own.

The first Thrawn-Trilogy witnesses the destruction of a nearly completed ISD in "The Last Command". Given the time Thrawn was effectively in command and the fact, that the HttE-Sourcebook claims, that the construction of new SDs only started again after Thrawn took over - less than a year.

12. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Back in world war 2, the US could crank out a destroyer every 2 weeks, or at least that what my teacher told me. So, I would think around 3 or 4 months with the proper docks.

13. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    So Raptor did find the correct number of Wookies....

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The first Death Star was about 120 km in diameter, while the second one was 160.

There are no ways to visually determine the sizes of the battle stations in the movies. The Rebel tactical hologram of the Death Star orbiting Endor was not necessarily to scale. Also, that scene where the Executor crashes into the side of the station can't really be used either; it may have been flatter than the rest of the station, since it wasn't completely finished yet, so the curvature hadn't been added.

This is much different than measuring the Executor using movie evidence, since it is quite easy to tell that it is 11X an ISD. It is not so easy to figure out the size of the Death Star.

15. MysteryWhiteBoy8

Sep 4, 2001
    Good point Bib. I always questioned measuring both the Death Star II and the Executor from that one shot.

16. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    StarWars Incredile Crossections give the first DeathStar a diameter of 160 kilometers.

Modelmakers of RotJ have made clear, that DeathStar II is actually BIGGER than fivehundred miles in diameter.

And don´t forget the comparison of the second DeathStar and the Endor Moon.

17. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Weren't the 120km and 160km in the Magic of the Myth CD-Rom Guide ?

18. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

"Modelmakers of RotJ have made clear, that DeathStar II is actually BIGGER than fivehundred miles in diameter. "

That would fall under something similar to aithor intent. Zahn intended for Jade to be the only Hand but that's not the official line.

The model makers may have intended the DS II to be really huge,but that's not the current official line.

19. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    No, that falls under "What we see onscreen".

And according to LFLs own policy regarding canon and continuity thats the only thing that counts.

And since we have an official scaling of DS I with a diameter of 160 kilometers with the Incredible Crossections and DS II was supposed to be bigger ...

20. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    However, in the Hutt Gambit Han Solo remarks that the Imperial-class Destroyers are newer. No idea how new he means, but new enough that they wouldn't be seeing outer rim duty. So maybe that just means Acclamator's and Victory's for the 10-15 years. Who knows. Vongified.

MWB, the Empire seldom used Imperial Star Destroyers in the Outer Rim (for defense anyway) until the Thrawn trilogy, because that was all that was left of the Empire.

Anyways, I think we should start threads for other capital ships besides Star Destroyers.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    And according to LFLs own policy regarding canon and continuity thats the only thing that counts.

And there is nothing on-screen that indicates the Death Star's size, as I already explained above.

DS1 = 120 km in diameter.
    DS2 = 160 km in diameter.

Those are the official measurements.

22. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    (Alion_Sangre holds up a crucifix before him in terror)

NO! Not the soon-to-be-insane size argument NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Figure that in VoTF bel Iblis says that during the Rebellion the Empire was churning out ISDs so fast that you could easily bluff an Imperial commander with a fake ISD name. If the Empire was adding SDs so fast that the Empire's bases weren't always able to remain up to date on what ships were in their fleet (even when the Navy had access to coded galaxywide holonet/subspace reports issued daily), that means they were putting them out pretty quick.

23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Bib is right. There is no way that you can calculate the diameter of the Death Stars.

24. DarkJediDurron

Feb 24, 2002
    Nobody knows the answer do you?

25. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.