main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Destroyers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarkJediDurron, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Even if we ignore the half dozen different methods Curtis Saxton used at the Technical Commentries, we have at least one official source, that claims DeathStar I to be 160 kilometers in diameter.

My translation of KJAs novel "Darksaber" says, that the first DeathStar would be hundred kilometers in diameter when finished, when Bevel Lemelisk and Tarkin showed the plans to Palpatine. Now if you replace kilometers with miles you get..., big surprise, 160 kilometers.

In ANH Lukes calls the DeathStar a small moon. He might be just a farmboy, but a farmboy inside a civilisation, that has traveled to the stars for millenia. Most astronoms use hundred miles as lowest size for moons, anything smaller counts as Asteroid.

Timothy Zahn didn´t intended Mara to be the only Hand. In DFR Thrawn maked clear, that there were others and that Mara is nothing but an overrated courier and special agent, who think herself much to important.

Grin.

Is this ammunition for the Mara-bashers???

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    120 is the correct measurement of the first Death Star, while 160 is the correct measurement for the second.

3. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    The first Death Star had a diamater of 164,592 meters. :)

36"x36"x36" model scaled at 1:180,000

4. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    The EGtVV says that the original DS was 120 km in diameter and the DS2 was 160. Will someone figure out the area for me real quick with a calc., I don't want to do math right now.

Also, FTeik, I don't think that calculation works out quite like you think. Now, I'm no expert on english to metric, but I have driven in Canada and the speed limit signs said 100 kmh or 60 mph. That translates to 10 kilometers for every 6 miles. That means that the diameter of the first DS would be 140 not 160 km.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    A mile is equal to 1.61 kilometers.

The Essential Guide to Vehicles, The Corellian Trilogy, and one of the NJO books (I can't remember which one) all describe the original Death Star as being 120 km in diameter. Since that is the only definitive measurement given anywhere in the EU (and there is no method for measuring either Death Star using film evidence), that means that 120 is correct. So is 160 for the second Death Star.

6. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Read my posts again:

StarWars: Incredible Cross Sections claims Death Star ONE to be 160 kilometers in diameter. That is a source as official as everything else.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    True, but I believe that is the only source that describes it as 160, IIRC. There are at least 3 that describe it as 120. Sheer weight of numbers wins this one, I'm afraid.

I'll go check my Cross Sections book myself in a bit to see if it isn't being taken out of context. It's not that I don't trust you, but that I trust myself. more. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.