main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Fox Assault Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarkSithDrew, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    This game is coming out this month, anyone planning on buying it?

2. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    memememememememememememe!

I love Star Fox and am very pleased Namco has returned the game to it's roots. I was originally skeptical - their initial renders were rounded and looked crappy. I like their new looks.

BTW if you are lucky to have a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video that actually supports the Gamecube, they have special deals that allows you to rent the game now! Two weeks before release date!

Game releases Feb 14th. Make it your other Valentine. :p

P.S. Props to the thread author for knowing it's Star Fox, two words, not Starfox or StarFox...

3. Tartarus

Tartarus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2005
    I need this game.... [face_love]

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I require this game.... [face_love]

5. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    so we are allowed spoilers in this thread?

Who thinks it's a good idea that Peppy Hare retired? I mean, he was retired in Star Fox: Adventures, and he is the oldest of the team, being on the original Star Fox team with James McCloud. I think it's a good idea. He still is on the team as advisor, but not a pilot.

[grins] Krystal replaced him as the fourth Arwing Pilot. Let the fights ensue about who gets to play her in multiplayer!

6. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    NO STAR FOX GAME WILL BEAT

Star Fox 64

PERIOD

7. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    no, probably not, but Assault looks like a pretty good sucession

though medal ranks look much harder. Gold medal on first mission = 1500 hits! then again in this game hits =/= kills... but again I saw a screenshot from Nintendo Power that says the first mission can easily give 500+ actual kills.

8. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    I agree with Peppy retiring, I dont know if crystal is a good replacement...but I'm ok with it I guess.
    Who is your guy's favorite pilot, mine's good ol' Falco :)

9. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Why the heck havent Nintendo put Starfox 64 on gamecube :(

& perfect dark too

lazy stupid punks

10. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    oh man, a collecters set of Star Fox games would be awesome. Like the zelda collection.

11. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    I agree Dark I have both the OOT master quest edition & the one with majoras mask

12. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Perhaps they wanted to make a new star fox instead.

Though there are various unlockables in Assault... not actual rumor, just a man's wish, but who else wishes that SF:Assault had SF 64 as an unlockable?

edit: and they can't put Perfect Dark on the Gamecube because Rare is now owned by Microsoft. Nintendo retains the liscencing of their characters, but unique characters Rare made (like Joanna Dark) are still Rare's property, and thus now Microsoft's property.

There is a Perfect Dark Zero in the works for the X-Box... :(

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I like them maintaining some continuity with SFA (the game wasn't that bad afterall), I'd have preferred they bring Kat or Bill into the squadron somehow (it'd have been pretty sweet to be able to fly with Bill and relay orders to other Cornerian Defense Force fighters in the area).

14. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Except if Bill joined the Ster Fox team he would have lost his commission in the military. Fox went to the military academy but resigned from the military to be the leader of Star Fox. So Bill on the SF team wouldn't connect the team with the military. They are mercenaries, working for General Pepper only because he foots the bill.

I think the reason Krystal is on the team is because of an attraction she has to Fox after SF:Adventures. There is definitely some tension between the two in Assault.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, maybe Bill didn't have to actually "join the squad" in the literal sense, but rather just combine forces for a campaign or something.

16. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    You mean like the Kantina mission on Star Fox 64?

Maybe, but the levels are much more expansive in this game.

Oh an Kantina is the first level. Not Corneria.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Really? That's an interesting change.

And I didn't mean quite like Katina from SF64, but something where you had more direct control over Bill's forces, but, storyw-ise, they'd only be teaming-up, to avoid Bill going AWOl or what have you.

18. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Whoops not Katina... see below.

From the article I have in Nintendo Power...

Mission 1: Fortuna

Arwing Only

Mission 2: Katina

Foot and Landmaster

Mission 3: Sargasso Space Zone (new area!)

Foot and Arwing

rest of the missions not described in the review.

In the multiplayer though, you get icons of the three battle states (Foot, Landmaster, and Arwing) for each stage. Some will be grayed out completely because you can't select that mode for a stage, however, those that are available can be selected on or off. Vehicle customization for each stage!

19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    IGN's review was disappointing. It through me off. :(

20. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    IGN's IS A CIRCLE OF EVIL THAT SITS ONA THRONE OF LIES.

Fixed for you. Seriously they citizized it for having ON-RAIL SHOOTING PARTS. Read the etoychests.com review
    http://www.etoychest.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=330&Itemid=42

21. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Yeah IGN is a dork.

They are naturally biased against the Gamecube. They expect that the Gamecube to be any good must have revolutionary titles (Halo was not that groundbreaking folks). So a game that upgrades on a proven idea (Like Star Fox Assault improves on Star Fox 64) is looked down upon.

Oh sorry that Star Fox: Assualt has rail guided levels, that's just been the basis of Star Fox since it's inception. It added an entire new mode of gameplay, running on foot.

Oh and IGN said the controls were shoddy for the land-based methods of control. Hello? There are multiple control schemes... change it. No, however, if the game doesn't have Halo-esque controls or doesn't have control mapping it sucks.

IGN sucks. Especially since they gave it a 7.0 and the readers gave it an 8.8...

22. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    yea ign is full of crap...though thats were this site is from...ironic aint it :p

23. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    except that the JC's contract with IGN is almost over. the boards are moving to a new server by summertime.

24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    IGN's reviews normally seem reasonable and fair to me, and I only read the GCN reviews. So far, I've agreed with their reviews on all of my own games.

That's why I was so surprised by their review on Star Fox Assault. If they really are biased against the GC, this is the first review I've read where it is apparent. It seems to me that they've just rushed the review as if they didn't have enough time.

25. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    well they certainly rushed the multiplayer.

playing multiplayer has nearly twenty unlockables, much like how you could unlock stuff in SSB:M by playing Vs mode many times.

but c'mon, taking a hit on gameplay because they kept the rail-motion? That's pathetic. Star Fox based on the story is a blast through one time and punch a hole through. That's why it's rail-motion (Nintendo calls it "corridor mode"). It fits with the story. Stop griping IGN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.