main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Gals only

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Matara_Healbo, Jan 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    4. He's a Trekie.

'Nuff said.

2. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    well yeah, Star Trek is the biggest YUCK.

Gee I don't know about that Matara. Not that I'd know (member of Permantly Single Inc.).

I do have a lot of SW fan guy friends though, and that's a lot of fun. Free entertainment is what its all about!

3. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Hey your a member of that group too? Man and I thought I was the only one there. What a small world this is. Well my sister is about to leave for her date soon. The guys already late, haven't they ever heard of punctuality? I have made some coments on some of my friends vehicles, you know like. You came in that thing? You're braver then I thought. Well it's not like my car is anything to look at either so it's all good. They always call mine Anakins podracer, it's small, made from pieces on the ground and it will even stall for me. The joys of your own car. It's now getting the best gas mileage, sitting in the drive way. Okay theres my little rant, oh and the guy still isn't here. :(

4. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    Okay gals, I just got back from my first ever book club meeting with my friends. It went rather well, we did discuss the book but then we got side tracked and went onto some other books or other topics. The book we read was Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier. It was really good I thought, there were some parts that could have been left out but it was still good. Next month though I have to decide on a book to read, I thought about A Hero Born by Micheal A. Stackpole. Do any of you suggest a book? It doesn't have to be sci-fi completly it can be anything, oh and as long as it is not boring. I really appretiat the help, thank you.

Matara;)

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey there,

I just happened to jump here to this discussion and I like it. I'm from Slovakia, but 2 years ago I was an exchange student in New Mexico and it was then when I saw TPM. It was my first contact with Star Wars. Well, actually I knew about it a bit, but I had never been interested in sci-fi, but as soon as I saw TPM, I fell in love with SW. It's not the fights or the weapons, but it's the mythology behind it that made it so interesting. You know - the Force, the Jedi order, the Sith lords, and all that stuff - I found it so exciting. The last day before I left home I went to the Blockbuster and rented the OT. I stayed up till 2:30 am just to see it. (I was getting up at 5:00 am to catch the plane, but that's another story)
    When I was in US I bought a book - Making of Episode I. I love it and I read it almost 100 times.
    But what I want to say, that you guys and gals in US are so LUCKY that you have Star Wars right there. I mean there are only few people here in SLovakia that like Star Wars (or even know about it). I collected a few posters from movie magazines and put them up on my wall. When my friends first saw Darth Maul on it, they asked "What's that?" I mean it sucks. I waited 5 months till TPM arrived here and I was so anxious to see it. When I heard the first line in the movie, I was shocked - they dubbed it!!! And it was a horrible dub. They usually do just subtitles and leave the movie in original, but I was so mad that they dubbed TPM. My friend from US sent me TPM and recently OT-SE, and I'm so glad I have it.
    I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I don't have full bedroom of posters, I have no action figures, no comics, no books (except that "Making of TPM"), but there's one simple reason for it: I can't get it here. The only things that are available are the LEGO SW ships, soundtracks (but not everywhere), and maybe a few picture books. Not all the stuff like in US. MAn, I envy you guys. I wish I could get to US next year and to see Episode II!!!!
    I hope I didn't get you bored by all this. But I guess almost all of you are American, so you can see the other point of view. :)
    Anyways, I forgot to tell you my favs:
    Well, I set up a survey here in JC - SW miscellaneous "What's you favorite..." I'd be glad if you entered your stuff there. :)
    I have a few favorite ones among the good guys. I think Han is very cool and pretty cute (I've always loved Harrison Ford). But I also like Obi-Wan and Luke (but not in ANH - he's too whiny there). My most favorite bad guy is DARTH MAUL! He's so so so COOL!!! Those eyes! oooh baby!! I love him in the scene when, after he kills Qui-Gon, he's waiting for Obi-Wan behind the energy doors. And little R2D2 rocks!!! He's so cute! I can understand everything he says. I agree with you that there are not many characters in the movies. I think they could put some female Jedi or Sith to EpII or III.
    So, this is all about me. One more thing - can someone explain to me what does EU mean? :) Thanx.

6. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    Well, it's good to have you here. EU mean Expanded Universe, the books and comics that happen after the OT. If you can ever get a hold of any of the books read them, most are very good. I'm glad you brought up the whole mythology thing, do you think Star Wars has more of a Samari background or a Druid background? Think about it before answering.

7. Kyronicus

Kyronicus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2000
    This is very interesting - seeing a female perspective on SW. I never realised there was such a huge female following. And in Slovakia aswell! That's great! By the way Mara17swgirl, what's Slovakia like in August? Does it get very hot? I'm visiting my best mate's wife's family there during the summer.

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey, I'm glad you're interested im my little humble opinion. ;)
    What I think about SW mythology is that fits perfectly to almost all religions and myths. Let's see - the Force. You can equal it to God, or to whatever you think. I'm a catholic, and I think you can give God many synonyms - the Love, the Life, the Way, ... the Force. It's the enegry that keeps us alive and in connection with God.
    And the Jedi - you can compare them either to Christian saints (they were "closer to God" than normal people), or to Buddhist monks, or Zen masters, or samurais. The idea with the druids is also quite interesting. I think the mytholoy in Star Wars is timeless, binds all the mythologies in the world and gives a general point of view - you can see that all the mankind's history is basicly "good vs. evil". I think it's amazing thing what Lucas has created.
    As far as me here, I don't think I'll be able to get any EU books here (btw, thanx for explanation, Matara). The fall after I returned home from US I organized a Halloween party (it was something new, since we don't have Halloween here in Slovakia) and I dressed as a Jedi (maybe a bit like Obi-Wan). I had quite short hair, so I just pulled them back to a small ponytail and I attached a thin braid above my right ear (just as Obi-wan had). I once had had very long hair, and after I'd cut it, I'd kept the entire big long braid, so I took the long hair from it (my Mom took a picture of me and I made a lightsaber effect in my computer so if you want to see the pic, just ask me and I can mail it to you). But anyways, NO ONE knew what I was and it was quite embarrassing when I had to explain over and over that I'm a Jedi and WHO the Jedi is. ;| Oh boy...
    I see myself as a great Star Wars fan, just I can't get to all those "accessories" - books, comics, action figures, and stuff. But I visit SW.com and TF.N quite often (my parents don't know about it and they'd probably go mad if they discovered I use Internet mostly for SW!).
    And to you Kyronicus: that's cool you're coming to Slovakia! The weather in August is quite hot (about 65 - 85 degrees F), sometimes it gets colder, but it's quite fine. We have cold winters though - just this one sucks - it's WARM!!! :-(
    Anyways, which part of Slovakia are you coming to? :)
    Mar17swgirl
    P.S.: In my previous post, I meant "there are not many FEMALE characters in the movies" - I forgot the word "female". oops...

9. Kyronicus

Nov 5, 2000
    I can't remember which part of Slovakia it is. I'll have to find out the name of the town. Sounds like I'd better pack plenty of suntan lotion though!

10. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    You call that hot? I wish my summers were that cool. This past August we were in the high 90's for more then half the month, the rest was low 90's or the low 100's. I know what you mean Mar17swgirl about people not knowing what your comstume is. I went to a dance dressed as Brea Tonnika, in the OT she's one of the back ground characters in the cantina scene. You see two tall twin females in high behives wigs and blue jumpsuits. I couldn't find the jumpsuit but I dressed in blue and bought a black wig and braided the top half and left the bottom the way it was. I also put on green and blue lipstick, no one knew who I was so I had to explain to them. Most of the guys thought I was the fat dancer at Jabba's, I don't know how they got that one mixed up. I asked them though if it looked like I had six breasts, I don't really encourage guys to look there though. The last two years though I have dressed up like Princess Leia and everyone knows who that is.

I don't know if you have a credit card or anything but I know some of the EU books you can order online. I don't want you to get in trouble about it though.

I think the Jedi are in some ways more Druidish, because like the Druids they wear the robes and they also believe there is a life force in everything. I've taken a few Mythology classes and my parents are ready to kill me if they hear another story from me.

11. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Wow..this thread has been real active while I was away.

Well I have dressed as Leia twice and Mara once. Only like 3 people knew I was supposed to be Mara. When I was Leia it was from ANH Death Star escape and then ROTJ Endor fatigues Leia.

Matara, what are the guidelines for your book club? I know could tell you a few, well 2 off hand. Though they are Oparh books, they still are excellent.

12. Kyronicus

Nov 5, 2000
    Matara Healbo, I'm moving to where you live!I live in England and I think in the whole of last year we had about 10 days that were sunny enough to get a tan! It's so cold and miserable here, we fantasise about weather like yours.

13. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    hehehe...
    I don't know what I'm laghing at. I didn't want to read EVERY post. thats crazy!

14. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Hey Padawan716, heheh i usually most of the time just start laughing for no particular reason! That's cool! we're happy SW gals!!

15. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Heyyy...I like Star Trek!

I think it is as interesting as SW. It's just that ST is completely different than SW. Whille SW is in its essence a grand mythology, ST is pure science fiction. They'rre both excellent cuz they're different!

16. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I've never really gotten into Star Trek, I don't know why. I guess to me it doesn't make much sense. My friends tried to sit me down to watch some of the movies and episodes, I got bored and left. I can watch the move Generation but all the others I haven't seen or I fall asleep threw them.

17. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I have nothing against Trek. I dated guys who were into both. Well my husband likes Trek. So it doesn't bother me. I prefer the TNG stuff though.

The trekkies that scare me are the die-hards.I went to school with this guy who always wore a communicator pin. Anyway he was a tech. person in the play I was in. Well 1 night I made some comment about Shatner being an over-actor. Anyway he literally went for my throat and 3 guys had to pull him away from me. So as you can see die-hard Trekkies scare me.

18. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I haven't dated any Trekkies but I know if you say anything bad about it they will go after you. Well I guess that goes with Star Wars fans.

Here's another way to know if the guy is a dud. He calls you a Trekkie when you say you like Star Wars. That just chaps my hide.

19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    The worst are guys who have NEVER seen star wars. I don't care *who* you are, everyone has to see the entire OT atleast once in their lives. It's like required viewing if you are to walk this earth.

20. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I completly agree. They don't know what they are missing, it has everything you need in a movie; action, suspence, romance and everything else. I want to know why Star Wars didn't get any acadamy awards, I thought they should have gotten make-up at least. Do they have a costume category? If not they should and Star Wars should get it hands down.

21. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I know this has nothing to do with Star Wars but I wanted other girls views on it. See last night I went bowling with like 20+ people, and there was this guy theres that I thought was very cute. He had a friend there as well and he too was cute. Well they had sat at one of the lanes hopeing people will come to them, well my friend and I walk by and I ask if they needed anyone else. They did so we joined in. Well we got done with one game and started another, I decided to go and stand by the two of them and talk. I mean the people I was sitting by weren't talking all that much anyway. Well I found out the guy I thought was cute, we'll call him George. Well George remembered my name from weeks before at anther activity we were at. Now gals do you ever get excited or ever got excited when a guy remembered you name when you know there are other prettier girls out there? If you don't I do and I don't really care, he also drives a Jetta which makes him okay by that alone in my book.

22. ArnaKyle

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, it's always nice to be remembered! ;) I don't know...I like when people remember me. The guy I like remembered I liked Star Wars (amoung other things), and it's not like I CONSTANTLY talk about Star Wars, so I know what you mean. He's nice...but the best way I can describe him is a scruffy lookin' nerf herder on way too sugar. :) I'm serious! He kind of looks like a very young Han Solo.

Okay, that was twice as much as I was planning on saying about my life. I always feel embarrassed when I talk about people I like. I don't know, that's just the way I am.

23. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    ---I'm serious! He kind of looks like a very young Han Solo-----

Oooh, you should go for him. :)

24. ArnaKyle

Nov 12, 2000
    Ohh...I wish! He even likes Star Wars too! I just would feel really weird because I'm friends with him.

25. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    That's always hard to date one of your friends. I did that in High School, I think he was expecting more at the end of the date then what I wanted to give. We were still friends but it was still weird around him.

I have another story about being remembered. I was in dance class last year around this time. On the first day of class we had to learn how to do the basic of the Fox Trot and one of the guys I danced with was really cute, but I sort of forgot about him on the second day of class. Well then the next week he came to class late and makes a B line right to me so he could dance with me next. He also remembered my name, I couldn't remember his but he said he wanted to dance with me from the first day. Oh how the heart skips a beat when you hear that, but then goober said he had to wait his turn and then class was over when we had to switch partners. *sigh* I never liked goober after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.