main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Tours 2.0

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by WormieSaber, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The Disney Star Tours ride is getting a reboot.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/star-tours-disney-5358/

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yep. Bill George is ILM's vfx supervisor for this project. It's actually been in the works for a few years now.

3. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Even though it's pretty much a definate now that it will be during TPM, I hope that they decide to have the ride set in the OT.

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not sure how much of the OT, if any, will still be a part of the ride.

But you can expect pod race goodness.

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    True. But I would much rather just have things added to the current "Star Tours" such as trips to Tantooine, Hoth, Bespin, etc.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Maybe one day they'll have a deluxe version where you can choose your trip?

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I've always thought they should make like 4 scenarios from all six films and have them be random each time you go on.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That would be a very good idea. It would also keep the experience fresh as well as encouraging multiple rides.

It would cost more but they could recoup that no problem.

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I've always thought they should make like 4 scenarios from all three films and have them be random each time you go on.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    This is when Lucasfilm and Disney should listen to fans. It's not like we wouldn't go at least 4 different times hoping we got a different one each time.

Maybe the cost of 4 films is what keeps them from doing it? But it's not like they wouldn't make their money back.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh JKH... never missing a chance to bash the prequels.

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    What can I say? It's a coping mechanism.;)

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Honestly, many sequences in the prequels are perfectly situated for a ride, the pod race for one.

So prequelized Star Tours works great for me.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Personally, if I get on a ride called STAR Tours, I want my ride to involve some exciting space travel - something the PT sorely lacks.

15. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Not the Coruscant space battle. I'd love that.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Well, this looks every bit as dumb as I feared.

17. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Well I was expecting the pod race so it works for me. But I do think they should mix it up eventually. Rotating different films would keep things more interesting.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Have no fear, JKH, it's not going to just be the podrace. It's going to be an ever changing scenario that is not the same every time you go on. The podrace is just one bit of many that can be combined in various ways to create unique adventures each ride. The scenarios also seem to draw on all six films, rather than just TPM or the PT. This is all confirmed by someone who actually worked on the visuals for the ride itself. A recent visit to Disneyland and a surreptitious peek through the construction barrier showed me that they are completely gutting the queue area as well, creating something entirely new. Lastly:

Proof of multiple scenarios.

19. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Alderaan!

Now that was a surprise. Cool video.

I'm there....well when I can get there......and when it's finished. :D

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I don't know if that video counts as proof. The original ride touted alternate destinations as well. But I have heard about the multiple tracks from reliable sources.

My issue at this point is the quality of visuals. The CGI from the only in-ride footage released so far (the pod race) isn't all that great. Hopefully those are early renders with the detail work yet to be done.

Say what you will about the original's dated projection system, but the actual images up on that screen looked like real things.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am not basing stuff on that video, I am basing it on someone who actually worked on the effects for the footage. And as for the original film, I always thought the comets looked fake.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I got the part about your contact, and as I said I have also heard about it from reliable sources. But you labeled that in-universe commercial as "Proof of multiple scenarios", which it really wasn't - that was the only part I was objecting to.

The comets are definitely the weakest part of the ride, but they never really looked "fake" enough to pull me out of it - with the massive exception of the ride's one incredibly visible cut as you enter the big one.

So I just re-watched the original ride video on YouTube, and it hit me that what I find really disappointing about setting this re-do pre-OT is that the PT simply doesn't have the iconic "flight" sequences that the OT does. The closest it comes is the pod race, so it makes sense that that would be included, but there's no reason there couldn't have been a PT-era pod race.

Short of cameos from the main characters or the Millennium Falcon, the original ride had just about everything you could ask for from a "Star Wars" ride, hitting all the most famous beats - the Star Destroyer tractor beam, the debris field (comets making a decent proxy for the asteroids from TESB), and of course the Death Star surface and trench run which was a nice design hybrid of SW and RotJ.

The original ride felt like "I just rode Star Wars", whereas the new attraction seems to be more along the lines of just "I rode a ride set in the Star Wars universe".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.