main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit STAR TOURS canon, retcons official Blog entry!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Haven't you read the recent spoilers? The above is being featured in Episode VII.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, if habitation spheres were mentioned during the Old Republic, they have been around for a long time, or at the very least the concept of large, spherical stations in orbit has. I wouldn't be surprised if Raith Sienar's original thought experiment was along the lines of "how would you send a habitation sphere through hyperspace" and that influenced the original designs. So, while we think of Habitation Spheres as Death Star shaped, it's really the other way around. ;)

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense. It certainly had "the largest hypermatter ever built" at the time- and I think there may have been text somewhere stating that as of ANH, it was the largest space station the Empire had ever built.

4. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    The only reason the Star Tours 2 events are kept vague is that there are multiple scenarios possible in that version of the ride, and keeping out those details allows for all versions to be "true". The original ride only has one version, so it was fully discussed.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The biggest problem is why the DS3 would have the exhaust port, considering they already fixed that problem in the DS 2 by having millions of tiny exhaust ports.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Is 'exhaust port' a euphemism for the Death Star's anus? [face_thinking]

kubricklynch likes this.
  7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    read my explanation few posts/pages back of the Lusankya deal done with Death Stars... it makes sense with the exhaust port

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The station was still under construction though. I wish they didn't mention it being literally a repeat flaw and just use "it was under construction" instead. It makes more sense with all the scaffolding on the surface.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What do you mean "all the scaffolding on the surface"? The station looks like it was intended to be complete -- the surface run resembles the surface bit at Endor, except that the gunnery towers are complete. There are a few other structures on the surface as well, but they don't appear to be scaffolds, as they're not attached to anything. Moreover, the structures are painted a uniform grey as the surface of the station is: the construction scaffolds at Endor were largely reds and yellows.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The article is a fun little summary of the various ST references over the years (though where the heck is that "they crashed into Vader's TIE after Yavin" bit from?). It did, however, seem like a missed opportunity to finally lock down some details on things that have been hazy like the DS3, etc. But, if that was outside the purview of the article, so be it.

I did like fitting in the state of Rex being boxed for return in ST2 but being new and "tag not removed" in ST1. And wherever it came from the "Reubens Robotic Systems" nameis an amusing detail, hehe!

Still, I've long been pro-canonizing ST's events. The "converted Habitation Sphere" theory being my favorite. Whether it was just mocked up to look like a DS (to lure NR forces into a trap ala Isard's Revenge) or was actually being converted into a sub-DS-like weapon (a planet cracker like the Eclipse, for example) so that some Imperial warlord could use it to rally and consolidate support behind (like the one Grand Admiral that had the torpedo sphere), it doesn't matter. The origins as a non-battle station would explain the exhaust port and different surface details like the scaffolding in the trench, etc.

ST2 is trickier, but you have two perfectly-viable-and-Jello-defying options, as well as third decent one:
    1) Choose one thread through events that are canon, the rest made AU ala video games.
    or, 2) You tell a story with 3 Rebel spies that have stowed away on different ships to try to increase their chances of escape. Each takes different routes through the chain of events, never duplicating a location. Only 1 of them ends up on the flight with the droids, and 1 of them we never experience their departure in the ride (leaving room for an original story to be told to fill in the gaps).
    3) Same as #2 with just the two spies and let the third chain be the AU box with Hoth and Coruscant and Yoda, leaving the easy ones to connect the other 2 with.

The downside to #2 is you do have patch the stranger events like Naboo (not so difficult), Coruscant (a little trickier, but plenty of room for some clever storytelling) and Hoth (admittedly almost impossible, though I would favor ignoring any ST2 supplemental Hoth references and instead just tie it into the Gamme Base attack from Rebel Assault).

#3 is probably the ideal solution, but I still think telling a story around that Coruscant battle would be amazing (some skilled Rebel slicers jack an orbital museum to the dismay of bored Coruscant Imperial ATC supervisors ("We're under attack? By who?! What do you mean, 'the museum'?")- maybe even have a young Isard around to watch it happen, giving her the seeds of inspiration for her Essential Guide to Vessels & Vehicles assault at Fondor in LOTF...), so one can always hold out hope, despite Jello's crumblebun attitude towards the suggestion ;).

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  11. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    The bit about the ship Tzarina crashing into Vader's fighter is from Star Wars Galaxies. Players encountered a survivor of the crash, who gave them the location of the wreck for salvage. The "spacers" I mentioned are the player characters. A handful of other sources citing Galaxies refers to the player using that term, too. Again, the old Wookieepedia will explain it all!

And yes, as I said before, no original material was really allowed in this article. Any things that seem new are mostly just me confirming some fairly obvious things. Even though the actual date of Star Tours 2 isn't specifically stated anywhere, I narrowed it down based on a number of aspects of the story. Also, the fact that R2-D2 was talking to G2-9T about their time with Star Tours in Specter of the Past was not specified, but based on the text, I'd say it implies R2 recognized the droid, and didn't just decide to strike up a conversation with a random droid. And chatting "about old times" seemed like a nice way to wrap things up, too. :)

And in case someone asks, no, I don't have any clue what the future brings for Star Wars in the Disney parks!

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it'd be hilarious if the third Death Star was a project of Warlord Zsinj which bankrupted his Empire and helped fuel the collapse of the post-Endor Imps.

darklordoftech and Bib Fartuna like this.
  13. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    JMM, thanks so much for writing this article. I am a huge Star Tours fan and I always felt it was canon, both versions.

A few questions:
    1. Does the mention of Boba mean that the Death Star is the most canon ending?

2. Why is some random guy Red Leader and not Wedge?

3. In your opinion, what would be the most canon sequence of Star Tours 2 scenarios?

Again, great article, can't wait for more!

14. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    "The guns cannons. They've stopped"
    -Tiree

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's gotta be a different Red Squadron than the one that fought in the Battle of Endor. Wedge is serving as Rogue Leader as early as one day after the battle (Chapter 1 of Truce), and the Rogues' schedule throughout the next year is pretty crowded with all of the stuff from the X-Wing comics. Leland has placed Star Tours in 4.3 ABY, and Wedge is definitely Rogue Leader at that point.

16. swcolts1277

Jan 5, 2013

Well, what I meant was Rogue Squadron, since the Red Squadron in Jedi is Rogue Squadron.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think after ROTJ, they just made a new Red Squadron after the Reds became Rogues again.

I mean, "Red 24" & "Red 30" implies they were further down the food chain... ;)

18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    I just want to see a new squadron called "Red Rogues" ... now that would confuse things! :)

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That would be the Rouge Rogue Squadron...

TC

20. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Glad you liked it! Some folks have answered some already, but I'll do the same....

I purposely wrote the article to refer to as much of the storyline as I could without making any single scenario canon. Whether I conveyed it well enough or not, I figure that whether you run into Fett or not, he has still been hired and is out there looking for you in any scenario. Along the same lines, when I say that the stormtroopers in the first scene are under the command of Vader, I don't necessarily mean the scene he appears in is canon. He is those troopers' commanding officer whether he's present or not.

As others have said, Wedge was already in command of the Rogues at this point in time. Plus, that Red Leader does actually appear in the old ride on the smaller video screen inside the ride. You can see him here:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Leader_(Star_Tours)
    By the way, if I could have done so, I would've named the Red Leader from the ride, maybe with an existing pilot's name.

I wouldn't really want to choose one version, though I suppose some scenes are more difficult to explain or fit into continuity. In the first group of scenes, I suppose only the Hoth battle is problematic. In the second trio of scenes, I'd say the Geonosis ending makes the most sense given that the Naboo and Coruscant scenes include large fleets of Clone Wars era ships.

BUT, none of those is canon, and I don't think I'd ever really want to establish one single "correct" version. It's more fun if whatever version you get to ride on is the right one. I understand the EU need to establish canon endings for video games, but I just don't really see the need with the ride. But then again, I suppose if LFL asked me to, I would. :)

21. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I actually toyed with the idea of mentioning there was a very large group of fighters, considering we hear such high numbers mentioned. But since those are the only numbers we actually hear in the ride film and we don't really see that many ships flying around, it didn't seem definitive enough. Maybe they're part of some squadron where callsigns don't indicate how many ships there are?

22. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Lucas said that there could have been an earlier conflict on Hoth before the events of ESB, so that's not a problem:
    Amusingly, this actually matches up with the battle there in Rebel Assault, though I doubt Lucas even knew about that.

As for the ships above Naboo, they target a group of Rebel fighters (even identified as such in dialogue) and we know the Empire appropriated Lucrehulks after the CW, so there's no problem seeing Imperial Lucrehulks at some point. After all, they used pre-war ships further out in the galaxy and the Lucrehulks work well as military transports as well as civilian.

23. swcolts1277

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, only things that would need explaining are Yoda and the Coruscant ending. In my opinion, Yoda wants to just help the rebels in any way he can and he sends a transmission from his escape pod/hut.

For Coruscant, either its Separatist remnant or Rebels using the droids as a distraction to get the spy down on the surface.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's a number of problems with the various choices. I'd say either pick the path of the least continuity problem... or go whole-heartedly in the opposite direction. Throw in the Death Star plans, Han Solo meeting a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, etc.

Except that only the game box calls it Hoth; the game itself only refers to the rebel base (Gamma Base) and implies it's in the same sector as Tatooine.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yay! Gamma Base! Gamma Base! Gamma gamma gamma base!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.