main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] A Brother Born, By Choice

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: A Brother Born, By Choice
    Author: Jade eyes
    Fandom: Star Trek (2009)
    Characters: Jim, Spock
    Genre: jim reflects in poem format on an amazing friendship.
    Disclaimer and A/N: Don't own these characters, but I just couldn't resist exploring this nummy aspect of Trekdom, being stoked and amazed by this particular relationship that transcends time & space :* . Friendship with Spock, and passion and love, as Saavik in Time 1 and Nyota in Time 2, have discovered, is something beyond description. Squee! Squee! LOL Thanks to Daena for encouraging more poetry :D :)

Having an older brother to look up to, to be protected by,
    Fills some of the void left by not having a "real" dad.
    Seeing/discovering the features of my divergent past,
    I am glad my other self had a father's love.
    Gary Mitchell, in that other time, was like a brother too.
    We pulled pranks, saved each other's hides from many an impending and actual disaster.
    It was hard to imagine who would fill that role of trust and companionship in this time.

Bones is a confidante in both times and places.
    Christine is an unexpected blessing, a haven for the soul.
    Scotty is someone to "do the town" with.
    Spock started out as an enigma, someone i felt a bit intimidated by and defensive around.

But as weeks turned to months, as we served together,
    I found myself seeking out the calm serenity and clearsightedness he brought to a crisis.
    This balanced out my emotions and impulsiveness and intuitive leaps.
    I was invigorated and entertained thoroughly by the verbal "tennis" he and McCoy seemed to engage in on practically a daily basis.
    I found out he's a great one to have in your corner.
    Loyal, worthy of the deepest trust, with a very very secret wit, and compassionate on top of everything.
    I feel that despite all I've lost or exchanged,
    In this time, like that other, I've gained a brother born for distress and joy,
    A brother-friend by choice.

Fin

[face_melts!]

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great poem! This really shows Kirk's mindset in regards to his friendship with Spock. They may be different in regards to race but as humans they are brothers and more importantly equal friends. =D=

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    RX --

I agree totally. [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Thanks for reading!

:D

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    another well written poem, Jade. I like thoughtful Kirk. I have to admit I wasn't ready to call them brother, or even friends, after the new film, but your poem jumps ahead a bit. I can do that.

I like how he comments on some of the crew, but focuses on Bones and Spock.

But as weeks turned to months, as we served together,
    I found myself seeking out the calm serenity and clearsightedness he brought to a crisis.
    This balanced out my emotions and impulsiveness and intuitive leaps.

This was my favorite part. It is a mature statement and a very true one. Great job, again, Jade.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A wonderful piece of work! =D= You really captured their relationship.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    brodiew -- Thank you!!!! :D I love that juxtaposition of their teamwork and interdependence -- logic and intuition, resourcefulness and daring coupled with calm serenity like a haven... :) I think in both times, Jim had more depth than even he'd admit LOL

Vadey -- oh oh thanks!!!! Loving them as much as I do, I enjoy pondering over the intricacies of their unique relationship and wanted to express that with clarity, accuracy, and the deep affection I feel. :) I appreciate your review even more so after reading the gorgeous "The Way They Loved Us." :D @};- :*

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Can implore you for more poetry? [face_praying] I mean, seriously . . . I have not a lick of talent when it comes to verse, so I am always thrilled to see it in someone else, and you defintely have talent in this area. [face_love] Maybe even a whole thread just with poetry . . . . [face_batting]

Onto the actual poem itself, I loved the whole premise of it - while Jim and Spock were on the way to a strong friendship at the end of the movie, they were by no means there yet, and this showed how time strengthened that bond to something like brothers. [face_love]

In this time, like that other, I've gained a brother born for distress and joy,
    A brother-friend by choice.

Perfect!!

I'm just going to be smiling giddily all day now . . . [face_love]

~MJ @};-

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mira -- you are a darling. [face_love] I might just do that poetry thingy -- or drabbles without prompt titles -- wootness!! Whichever, they'd be mushy and either focus on L&M exclusively or the Trek time(s).

Yes, the Jim/Spock relationship has given me much joy over the years and I adore seeing it continued in Time 2 LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.