main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] A Time to Love & Let Go - Jim, Chris, Audrey - Chapter #7: 12-19-10, complete!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Time to Love & Let Go
    Author: Jade eyes
    Genre: Romance, drama, humor
    Disclaimer: Own only the words. :D
    A/N: Audrey Pearce is the compelling Jaina-esque OC of Master_Jaina1011. =D= She's brilliant and snarky and lovely. :D And she has that exotic half-Betazoid thing working. :D All the male fanboys drool now LOL

Summary: When Jim's and Chris's careers take them in different paths, and Audrey comes along, choices have to be made.

[face_thinking]

[face_dancing]

PMs available upon request.

Reviewers and lurkers welcome.

:)

~~~~~

Prologue

He let her ramble on about the "opportunity of a lifetime" -- to finish her doctoral courses and accept a position eventually as head of triage on a Starbase with heavy space traffic, intersecting as it did the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

Chris watched his expressive eyes carefully -- but though there was a surprised glint at first, it faded all too quickly into a plastic type of easy nonchalance that grated on her.

Was he simply being glad for her sake, not wanting to hold her back?

Or -- a niggling little voice wondered -- was it that shockingly easy to let her walk away?

They didn't even make promises to "keep in touch". He gave her a wistful hug and said he'd see her around.

Chris felt a hollow ache. But what had she really and truly expected? His affection for her was genuine, she had no doubt. But she knew deuced well he would never give up the Enterprise and all that went with it.

Still, a very large portion of her had hoped ...

And wondered: would they come together again, or had their time just drifted away on the proverbial breeze?

++++++

TBC

2. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Yay!!! It's up! *does happy dance*

This is me hoping the muse comes back full strength. after reading this...and the fact i may have a slow night at work on my hands...

yes!!!

I like the fact you started off with Chris's thoughts, it sets the tone for the story at a whole.

Yet she knows Jim well enough to know when he puts that fake smile on his face.

This is going to get interesting!

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    *pulls up chair, takes out popcorn, and buckles in for the ride*

This is going to be AWESOME! :D

I too liked you starting with Christine's thoughts. It was wistful and hopeful, and very much what-if-full. Which is a sure way to start a story out right.

Count me in for the ride! And, as always, PMs to keep my wayward habits in line would be wonderful. :oops: [face_laugh]

[face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Great start. :)

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Thanks for the sweet reviews. Thanks FG, for the plotting input. :D :)

I've read a couple of sweet nummies today -- and I'm indulging also in Georgette Heyer and Faith Baldwin novels. LOL Great for this fic!!!!!!

:D :D

~~~~~~~

Chapter #1: Things A Bit Off-Center

It really wasn't fair.

Jim reflected that it wasn't fair to compare his new XO, Bryce Wainright, to Spock. Who could fill those inestimable shoes when it came to scientific and logical acumen?

But it wasn't jus that -- of course, the loyalty and respect that had built between them over time had taken just that ... time. But something deep within had felt like he'd gained a second brother -- someone who would always listen, always tell things like they needed to be told.

McCoy was great for that, as well -- but the two had frequently been necessary to give a complete picture.

And even though Rand was a very competent Communications officer, she wasn't -- Uhura of the sharp wit and the musical laugh that eased a tense moment and invigorated even the most mundane.

Christine -- now she was definitely one he would miss. He hadn't wanted to see her go -- not at all - but he certainly didn't want to be the reason she held back.

He had no doubt that given time and a mere handful of missions, there would be a team/family feel again.

Little did he know, however, that he was about to receive a new Intelligence/Security Chief who would enliven things more than he had ever dreamed.

She would bring laughter, friendship, and a passion he had always sought -- and had almost (but not quite) captured.

++++++

TBC.

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was lovely to read. You're setting up this very well - Jim's thoughts on Spock and Uhura had me beaming in agreement, even as I felt for his loss. Poor Kirk! It's a job where friends and loves will move by and past as you continue marching on . . . Nice that his first love is the lady Enterprise, then. ;) [face_love]

McCoy was great for that, as well -- but the two had frequently been necessary to give a complete picture.

Very true!! [face_laugh]

She would bring laughter, friendship, and a passion he had always sought -- and had almost (but not quite) captured.

Nice foreshadowing. [face_love] ;)

I am very anxious to meet Audrey now. These snippets are just enough to wet the appetite for more! :D [face_dancing]

[face_love]

~MJ @};-

7. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Another great foreshadowing post!

I am sad that Spock and Nyota are not there... of course people do have to move on...but that made me sad.

I am anxious to see Jim and Audrey's interaction.

Keep it coming!

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great reviews :D

~~~~~~

Chapter Two: Getting Acclimated ...

Audrey loved the smell and sight of growing things. On all the worlds she'd lived on, parks and woodlands were among her favorite haunts.

So within less than a day of her arrival, she found her way to the arboretum.

Yolette Boudreaux and Janice Rand found her there. Janice held a pitcher of raspberry lemonade.

Yolette held a tray with glasses and snacks.

"Hi!" Janice said. "We met at your introductory briefing this morning, but I didn't introduce myself personally. I'm Janice, this is Yolette."

"I'm Audrey." Audrey answered, smiling and offering a hand to each in turn. "I certainly don't want to stand on rank and title off shift time."

The other two laughed.

"Want some?" Yolette said, indicating the tray and pitcher. "There's plenty."

Audrey gave a nod of assent.

She took a happy sip of the cool drink and reached for the veggies and dip.

"I never met your predecessor, Janice." Audrey remarked. "I was a year ahead of her ... but I heard much about her from our mutual instructors. She was extremely gifted and took to the Betazoid classic romances and poetry."

"She would." Janice laughed. "Being hopelessly in love as she is."

Yolette grinned wistfully. "I am as well, but she is even "worse" than I am!" She winked.

Audrey sighed ruefully. She had loved deeply and well and had lost her intended tragically. She didn't expect to have another such experience in her lifetime, but she didn't regret the wonderful love she had shared with her betrothed.

Janice said: "We've lost two of our gal circle, Christine being the other. She is a very gifted nurse-now turned Chief of Triage. And," She laughed, "the only one who could hold our Captain's interest for longer than a minute."

They all laughed.

"We hope you'll join our "gals" evenings, Audrey?" Yolette offered.

"That would be splendid." Audrey replied with a warm smile. "Thank you."

"Hello, Commander." McCoy greeted. He waved her over.

Audrey nodded a greeting and came over to where there was a "friendly" game of poker condluding in the 'rec room.

She and the Captain exchanged friendly smiles. His blue eyes were one of the most startlingly clear and expressive she'd ever seen.

Right now, they were sparkling with the win and with appreciation at the way Audrey looked in her off-duty attire of knee-length skirt and pastel T-shirt. Audrey's shoulder-length auburn hair was naturally wavy and framed her oval face most appealingly -- all this her empath senses told her was swimming through the Captain's mind.

She smirked at his overtly admiring glance. "Staying away from chess, are we?"

He gave a resigned sigh. "Wainright isn't much of a challenge. Spock always kept me on my toes."

Audrey grinned. "One of his many talents, I hear."

Jim laughed outright at that. "Ah! Even in his absence ... his reputation lingers."

Audrey winked. "I've been talking to Nyota Uhura's closest friends, what can I say?"

"Yes to drinks tomorrow." Jim suggested.

Her eyes widened. "Really? Is that standard protocol for welcoming new officers? Something tells me if my name were Allen you would have refrained."

Jim grinned boyishly. "You caught me out, Commander."

"If you're going to be bold enough to ask me for drinks, the least you can do is call me Audrey off-shift."

"Thanks, and I'm Jim to my friends."

"Are we friends, already?" She teased, her hazel eyes dancing.

"One can hope." He rejoined in kind.

She grinned. She hadn't had this much fun in a long time. She wasn't looking for romance, but she had a feeling she was definitely on the brink of something very unique and exciting.

++++++
    +++++++
    Fun writing J/A!! [face_dancing]

Hey, Master Jay: They have their own initials now!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Yesness!

Jim is shockingly easy to write; I just channel Jag Fel.

=P~ !!!!!

9. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    That again was awesome Jade!

Loved how Janice and Yolette welcomed her in, and that Audrey of course knew Nyota achievements!

And then Jim and her interacting... that was just great.

You had their banter down! You are doing great with Audrey!

And yes Jim is easy to write. I channel Han some in him, some Jag, but mostly I take Chris Pine and his personality and channel that ALOT!!!

And I wanna get a drawing of her... probably from my dad or someone who can draw.

Still very interested to see where this goes. Slow night here at work so I bet I can work on some stuff!

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This is such a fun read already. :D

I liked Audery's introduction to the gal-circle aboard the enterprise. And I really liked how you were able to sneak in a Nyota/Spock shippery comment or two. ;) [face_love]

Right now, they were sparkling with the win and with appreciation at the way Audrey looked in her off-duty attire of knee-length skirt and pastel T-shirt. Audrey's shoulder-length auburn hair was naturally wavy and framed her oval face most appealingly -- all this her empath senses told her was swimming through the Captain's mind.

My Kirk senses are tingling! o_O :p

He gave a resigned sigh. "Wainright isn't much of a challenge. Spock always kept me on my toes."

And Enterprise without our two is so odd to read! I can't even imagine what Kirk's is going through living it. He's cute when he sulks though. :p

Her eyes widened. "Really? Is that standard protocol for welcoming new officers? Something tells me if my name were Allen you would have refrained."

Bwahaha! I love her. :p Her and Kirk's bantering was perfect.

Keep up the good work!! =D=

~MJ @};-

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great comments @};- I loved the gal time and the banter :D

~~

A/N: I love to write about awakening ;) feelings.

:D

~~

Chapter Three: Something Gentle is Awakening

A couple of weeks later, over veal and stuffed mushrooms, and wine, Jim and Audrey speak of their families.

His rueful resignation on the complicated feelings he has towards Winona touches a chord with her.

"It's hard to find common ground or mend fences, as the old saying goes at such a distance." He remarks.

"I can only handle my mother in small doses." Audrey replies with an eye-roll. "She means well, but she's always wanted me to pursue the sciences. She's all the family I have, and I want to get along ... but sometimes, it takes more work than I have the time or energy for."

"My brother and I get along very well. We see each other whenever we can and send messages. Part of what confounds me about taking a "desk" bound position is how odd it would feel to have the chance to see my family more often but still feel disconnected, somehow." His gaze is sardonic. "Does that make sense?"

She nods. "It certainly does."

"I don't know why I'm telling you all this." Jim suddenly says. "I'm sure you ..."

She holds up a hand. "Of course I do. Like I would for any of my friends."

He smiles gratefully.

It is only later when they are each alone that they ponder the accuracy of the word "friend." Is that what they feel for one another? Is that all they want?

After dinner a week or so later, they stroll in the arboretum. He plucks a blooming pink rose and tucks it behind her right ear.

She laughs at his whimsy.

They settle on a bench near a splashing fountain.

"If you could do anything else ... be anywhere else ... what would it be?" She wonders aloud.

"I usually don't think about that ... too busy enjoying the moment." He shrugs offhandedly. "Seriously, I'd love to just always be in the middle of new discoveries and first contacts in some fashion. Perhaps one of the deep space stations under production at the edge of Known Space."

She grins. "Now that would be an interesting place to do Security/Intel. Rather like the pioneers in the former North American West."

He laughs. "I can picture you there, for sure."

There is a comfortable pause. "Chris and I used to have breakfast on occasion. You want to, tomorrow maybe?"

Audrey shoots him a sharp inquiring glance. "What's behind that particular invitation? An invitation to fun ... before breakfast, or what?" She briefly wonders where that question came from -- a reflection of what she thought he wanted, or what she wanted?

He chuckled lightly. "Just want to get my day off to a great start: fun talk with a lovely lady."

She smiles. "Do you think of her often?"

"Not as often as I used to. I miss her, but it's more the nostalgic kind of missing - you know, friends you had back in high school, distant cousins you lost touch with." he sighs regretfully. "I have to admit when we separated, I wasn't expecting that."

Audrey pauses. "Do you think you were in love with her, for real?"

"As much as I could be, at that time. She was a warm, sympathetic, loving person; I could be the real me around her. It was refreshing and what I needed at the time. Now ... I feel I could be ready to find something blending more excitement with that same comfortableness."
    He locks eyes with her. "I know you're not interested in a relationship right now." He hurries to add. "I just wanted you to know that if and when you are, I would like to give us a try."

He gives her a quick kiss, no pressure, no demands. But it tingles all the way through her with a promise of something wonderful.

"You know, Jim," She answers softly. "I might be closer to being ready than you think."

++++++

SQUEE!

I squeed.

LOL

12. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Deb,

I squeed too!

That was a great piece. I always thought those two had alot in common, as you will find out soon enough. :D

you really are inspiring me!

as for the end, I loved it. I loved how Jim eplained the missing christine, great analogy with the missing high school friends and such.

You really do these two justice. Now I need to do them justice!

I seriously can't wait for more!

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, this was just too squeeable for words!

I loved seeing them become such good . . . friends. [face_mischief] He could use that maybe even more so than he could something more. For now, anyway. [face_whistling]

The kiss was perfect. As was your parting line. [face_love]

[face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

14. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    "Do you think of her often?"

"Not as often as I used to. I miss her, but it's more the nostalgic kind of missing - you know, friends you had back in high school, distant cousins you lost touch with." he sighs regretfully. "I have to admit when we separated, I wasn't expecting that."

Audrey pauses. "Do you think you were in love with her, for real?"

"As much as I could be, at that time. She was a warm, sympathetic, loving person; I could be the real me around her. It was refreshing and what I needed at the time. Now ... I feel I could be ready to find something blending more excitement with that same comfortableness."
    He locks eyes with her. "I know you're not interested in a relationship right now." He hurries to add. "I just wanted you to know that if and when you are, I would like to give us a try."

Really like how you portray his feelings about the past in this exchange.

I apologize for falling behind. [face_blush] Great updates!

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi!!!!! So glad the pacing of the conversation and "first kiss" worked! Been reading a plethora of modern and Regency romances lately ;) -- Very helpful LOL!

~~~

A/N: Some weeks later, their friendship has deepened, and chemistry has definitely increased as well. For both, it has been a gradual process.

Chapter Four: A Deeper Affection

Audrey was signing off on the reports of those in her department. She was on the last one - by the industrious and very eager Ensign Friedman. Yolette had teased her that he was crushing on Audrey. Audrey had simply laughed it off.

"Hard at work, I see?" A teasing and warmly familiar voice greeted her.

She looked up, startled, to see Jim in a splendidly evocative pair of royal blue swim trunks that set off his eyes to perfection. He had a towel thrown casually over one shoulder. He moved with such effortless grace as if he didn't realize his affect on her.

In point of fact, she hadn't realized there would be this strong of an impact until it happened.

She couldn't deny he was easy company and fine to look at and a privilege to work alongside.

But the whirlwind of butterflies was a complete revelation.

Jim gazed at the very competent and lovely Commander Pearce, with a PADD on her lap, dressed in shorts and a tank-top.

Her hair was loose and fell around her face in a soft frame of auburn ringlets.

"Going over departmental reports." She answered.

"Ah! The never-ending flood of reports and other minutiae of bureaucracy." He sighed ruefully. "You did a great job handling the situation on Uxana V. Those cyber-terrorists would have perpetrated an even worse crime if you hadn't cracked their trail like you did."

Audrey's eyes glowed with appreciation. "Thank you. I love the technical side of Security/Intel as much as the regular kind of "sleuthing."" She winked.

His eyes warmed in turn. Her predecessor, Commander Johnson, had been strictly Security, with an Intel specialist on staff. It was so much better streamlining the two functions.

"I really believe, Commander, it was a fortunate day for us when you transferred aboard."

She laughed lowly. "Are you speaking merely professionally, Captain?"

He grinned, his eyes sparkling with mirth. "I think you know the answer to that." He replied, and was surprised at how true the remark was, how it spoke not only of a friendship but of affection of quite a different nature.

He could tell by the blush that suddenly appeared that her empathic sense had picked up on his emotions.

That had grown stronger as well during their working together and off-duty socializing -- her ability to be attuned to his emotions.

Only one other had been as intrinsically aware of such things, one he regarded as a brother. When Spock had left, he'd regretfully concluded he would not experience that again. Once in a lifetime was rare enough.

It was one more thing to appreciate Audrey for, he reflected.

++++

TBC and :D

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    It's okay Audrey - more than one lady has been distracted by Kirk in swimtrunks. [face_laugh]

And just the easy way they talk, and how she is already intunned to his emotions so . . . [face_love]

He grinned, his eyes sparkling with mirth. "I think you know the answer to that." He replied, and was surprised at how true the remark was, how it spoke not only of a friendship but of affection of quite a different nature.

Perfect!!

[face_dancing]

[face_love]

~MJ @};-

17. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Squee!!!

I do love this version of them I really do!

First off the vision of him in blue swin trunks made my heart flutter, just like Audrey's. Like seriously right now shirtless kirk in those swim trunks are winning over shirtless Kyp. And I thought my shirtless kirk was droolworthy!

Ah... empath's abilites are so much fun to play with as I am learning.

awww...Ensign Friedman. I love him, he's awesome. and he'll be appearing more as time goes on. and he does have a
    crush on her. hehe!!!

I love how Jim is reminded of Spock, and shows that he does miss his friend.

man you are good at this!!! More plot bunnies abound!!!

18. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    "I really believe, Commander, it was a fortunate day for us when you transferred aboard."

He grinned, his eyes sparkling with mirth. "I think you know the answer to that."

Awww.

=D=

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Chapter Five: Defining "Us" and An Intriguing Mission

Audrey noticed Jim's half-smirk as soon as she settled next to him for a candlelit dinner.

She grinned. "What's that look for?"

He laughed. "Can't hide anything from you, can I?"

"Not too well." She winked.

"I got a 'comm call from my mom yesterday. I've been trying to get used to the idea ..."

"idea of what?"

"Guess whom she's seeing, Audrey?" He answered her question with a question.

Audrey laughed. "How can I?"

"Chris Pike." Jim replied, a note of astonishment in his voice.

Audrey's eyes were wide. "Really? They must've met at a 'Fleet function at some point, then?"

"Yes. Before we shipped out on our first tour. I knew they'd kept in touch through the years. But they're actually exploring a relationship."

"I wonder what Pike would say if he knew two of his proteges were doing the same?" Audrey smiled.

"He'd probably not be able to believe it."

"Speaking of exploring, Jim ... what specifically would you call what we have, together?"

Jim grinned at her straightforward question. "I think I'm falling for you, in a way I haven't before. As for what it means next year or four years from now -- I just know I want to keep you in my life whatever that comes to look like."

Audrey smiled at the upfront answer. It was genuine and heartfelt. "I feel the same way. As long as we keep one another and our relationship a top priority, we should be able to talk through anything, don't you think?"

"You know it. Neither one of us have a problem with that particular angle."

Jim's mind turned to the upcoming mission with the Camoians. The Camoians were on the forefront of AI technology; they were making androids to handle delicate tasks in an even more intuitive fashion, needing less programming. They wanted this to strictly be used for triage and medical applications, or for science and research. They were afraid that it would, however, fall into unscrupulous hands and be used for weaponry and agressive purposes.

The Federation was sending representatives to sew up the contracts or at the very least be in a protectorate type position and to set up an independent review board to make sure nothing untoward happened to the software and hardware specifics.

The science department and Security and Intel department would be talking to the governmental leaders and program designers and investigating the failsafes.

Audrey felt sure the teams would not face any unforeseen crises.

"We arrive at Camoi at 1100 hours tomorrow." He remarked.

"Everyone has their final instructions, and I've drawn up a couple congingency plans as well." She answered.

"You've got the bases covered." He observed with admiration.

"Always." She smiled.

All went well until the requisite tour of one of the production facilities. A militant got off a fast neuronic stunshot but was taken down immediately afterwards.

Audrey had sensed something slightly amiss in the milling crowd outside - someone who didn't want any "outsiders" encroaching, thank you! But she wasn't sure of the actual intent, as clouded by all the others' emotions in the mix.

She caught the fringes of the blast and suffered a slight aftereffect: rather like being woozy after having an analgesic.

When the away team returned, they were all checked out by the medical staff even before they filed their final reports.

She was not in too much of a haze to hear the Doctor say curtly: "Stop hovering, Jim!"

It made her chuckle.

When the mists parted, she filed a report; the attempt by the militant party worked even more in their favor than otherwise, it would seem.

Things went much more smoothly from that point.

And she made it a point to tell Jim: "Thanks for the concern, but it wasn't necessary."

"It could've been much worse." He told her. "And I realized even after that so-called minor skirmish, how important you are to me and how unbearable it would be if something happened to you."

"Hmmmm." Her eyes twinkled. "I think y

20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    "I think I'm falling for you, in a way I haven't before. As for what it means next year or four years from now -- I just know I want to keep you in my life whatever that comes to look like."

Now there's a vow for life! [face_blush] [face_love]

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This story is just too adorable for words! It has an easy sort of fluff and romance that seeps off when you read it, and a smile lingers permanently as a result! [face_love]

"I think I'm falling for you, in a way I haven't before. As for what it means next year or four years from now -- I just know I want to keep you in my life whatever that comes to look like."

For the win! So sweet!

And Pike and Audrey's mom? [face_thinking]

I like it! [face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

22. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    That was definitely a squee worthy post!

So I thought you were talking about Chris and Winona... should I take this as a hint?

Jim grinned at her straightforward question. "I think I'm falling for you, in a way I haven't before. As for what it means next year or four years from now -- I just know I want to keep you in my life whatever that comes to look like."

Audrey smiled at the upfront answer. It was genuine and heartfelt. "I feel the same way. As long as we keep one another and our relationship a top priority, we should be able to talk through anything, don't you think?"

"You know it. Neither one of us have a problem with that particular angle."

Awww, that was adorable. I loved how straight forward Jim was in his answer. He really is growing up!

and them getting back to business was awesome too!

And I loved a concerned Jim, he is so adorable!

and the end just made me smile. I love little moments like that. Pillow fights are the best!

23. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004

Awww.

=D=

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    That was indeed fun! Thanks for the comments. :D

_______

Chapter Six: Clearing the Air & Well Wishes

When Jim saw Christine again, it was a year since they'd parted ways. It was at a 'Fleet function, and she attended as a close friend of the guest of honor, a Vice Admiral Tamila Kincaid.

She looked amazingly well, Jim reflected. He had often wondered what he'd feel if they ran into each other again: nostalgia, the old feelings, regret, and awkwardness?

He was pleased to find it was only a reminiscent affection.

He only hoped she would feel the same and harbor no acrimony.

At his side, Audrey noticed his close scrutiny of one of the guests in particular.

She frowned. "Hmmm. That's her, isn't it?" She asked in her pulling no punches fashion.

Jim twinkled at her, though his eyes were somber as they held hers. "Yes."

Audrey could tell what the mix of his emotions was, not that he would have hidden them from her in any case.

She smiled warmly, some little bit of anxious uncertainty fading away with the smile he gave her.

Christine, for her part, felt a pang and a thrill: but not of a newly-rediscovered love, but of a wistful might-have-been.

McCoy and Kyoko had hinted at Jim's new love interest, though they hadn't felt they should give the details, although Chris felt the Doctor had a hard time keeping a lid on it!

She had told both of them that she wouldn't expect him to "pine after me." But, at the time, she'd wondered if she saw him again, would that statement turn out to be just so much bravado?

She was glad to find it was true of her state of mind.

Later, when she and Jim found themselves close together, he introduced her to Audrey. The two smiled at each other and he drew Chris aside for a brief moment.

Christine said warmly: "I am glad you found someone, Jim. I'd hate either of us to feel tied to or impossibly obliged to make a promise neither of us were ready for." Chris said honestly. "I can tell she makes you happy."

"She does, Chris. I hope you don't think that this reflects negatively on what we shared? I'd hate for you to think that." Jim told her, his eyes intent on hers.

Christine smiled in reassurance. "That I never could."

"I hope you find joy and a permanent life-partner, someday as well, Chris." He said sincerely.

She smiled her thanks, and they parted to mingle some more.

+++++

TBC...

@};-

25. GlindaForJediCouncil

GlindaForJediCouncil Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2009
    Cute! I love what your doing with McCoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.