main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] By Your Side (MMM challenge, Bones-Kirk bromance)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Master_Jaina1011, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Title: By Your Side
    Author: Master_Jaina1011
    Characters: James T. Kirk, Leonard McCoy aka Bones
    Summary: In response to the MMM challenge: Everyone loses someone they love, it's a fact of life and of loving. Write a vignette exploring the impact of the loss of a loved one on a character. Remember, you do not have to participate in the challenge in order to participate in MMM. General mush fics are always accepted as a part of MMM. Bones loses someone close to him and has to make a decision based on the loss. Deep friendship between Kirk and Bones :D

By Your Side

Leonard McCoy was used to death being around him. He was a doctor after all, but as he stared at the tombstone before him, he couldn?t comprehend it. It was a beautiful Georgia day, sun beaming down on his neck as he rubbed it unconsciously. His ex-wife may have been bitter toward him, but she was still a woman he loved and the mother of his child. McCoy just didn?t think her death would hit him this hard.

The smell of peaches filled the air as footsteps sounded behind him. ?You doing ok Bones?? Jim asked, as he moved to stand beside him. He noticed the collar was undone on his dress uniform, but yet had the dignified air about him.

?You want the truth kid?? he asked, as his friend just stood there silently beside him. ?I?m not.?

The doctor had received the transmission a week before from his mother on the Enterprise as they were ending negotiations with a new Federation planet. All he remembered from the next few moments were the words, ?I?m sorry to tell you this Len, but?Jocelyn was fatally injured last night. Son, she?s gone.?

He was in a daze after those words, as he thought about his daughter, whom he hadn?t seen in over six months. Who, now, was without the only parent she really had known. Jim, being the friend and captain he was, had finagled a month shore leave on Earth, where McCoy could figure everything out as his friends attended the funeral with him. Jim?s exact words on how he had managed that long of a time was ?You?re my CMO, Bones and without my CMO, this ship can?t run efficiently. We are going with you.?

Jim and Spock, surprisingly hadn?t leave his side for the past week, as their significant others keep Joanna entertained and her mind off the upcoming events. McCoy had a decision to make about his daughter and as he stared at the tombstone, he still didn?t know what to do.

?I?m sorry, Bones.? Jim said, softly as he squeezed his shoulder gently. ?I wish I could do more.?

?You already have, Jim.? He replied, turning away from the woman who had terrorized him until he joined Starfleet. ?She may have been my wife, but she was also the bane of my existence. Joce was part of the reason I joined StarFleet.?

His best friend smiled softly back as they started walking back toward the others, where Spock was kneeling before his daughter, talking to her. McCoy didn?t even use words to express the sentiment held within his heart.

?Have you made a decision about Joanna?? Jim asked suddenly as McCoy just stopped as he stared at the smile on his daughter?s face as she talked to Spock.

?What do you think he?s talking to her about?? he asked softly, trying to avoid of the question Jim asked.

?He lost his mother too.? Jim said softly, as Bones noticed Nyota and Audrey standing back as the half-Vulcan continued to interact the eight year old. ?From what I have heard over the past few days, he?s telling her stories about his mother.?

?I didn?t think that??

?Spock talked about his mother? Sometimes even Vulcans have to show their emotions.? Jim said patting his back. ?You know it helps to talk about it, death that is. I think that was what was wrong with my mother. She just shut down after my dad died.?

?Are you, James Tiberius Kirk, trying to get me to talk about my feelings??

?Well it would do you good once in a while.? Jim retorted as Bones rolled his eyes. ?Look at me, captain of starship in the Federation, with a magnificent crew and a beautiful woman by my side. But what counts, Bones, is that you?re here w

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved this. Sweet and so in character of those two.
    =D==D=

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautiful beautiful ... I always knew Bones was Han Solo in disguise -- [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] right down to the perennial "kid" [face_laugh]

Woot!!!!!!

Master_Jaina: The queen of bromance -- yuppers.

:)

[face_love]

P.S. Spock with Joanna -- can I love him even more now? :* :*

And "Jo bear" (melts!) sweet. :)

[:D]

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

Ah, if it was LoTR that delayed this post, then I am in *complete* understanding. [face_laugh] And my, what a fun piece this was!! I think I've said it before - bt I will say it again: you have the bromance down pat. And your banter is a treat to read. ;)

And then, I love seeing Bone's as a family man. [face_love] I adore the idea of Joanna travelling with them!! [face_dancing]

The doctor had received the transmission a week before from his mother on the Enterprise as they were ending negotiations with a new Federation planet. All he remembered from the next few moments were the words, ?I?m sorry to tell you this Len, but?Jocelyn was fatally injured last night. Son, she?s gone.?

When I clicked on this fic, I never would have guessed that it was Jocelyn who was going to be killed off. [face_thinking] An interesting twist to the plot. =D=

?Spock talked about his mother? Sometimes even Vulcans have to show their emotions.? Jim said patting his back. ?You know it helps to talk about it, death that is. I think that was what was wrong with my mother. She just shut down after my dad died.?

Spock talking about his emotions, Kirk being mature . . .and McCoy being a smart-alec. Perfect. [face_laugh]

?Don?t pander me, kid. All I know is I can?t let you go back up there without your CMO, only because you wouldn?t live another away mission without me there to patch you up.?

I'm sure that's the only reason. ;) [face_whistling]

"Well, I can?t let you have all the fun now could I?? He replied as Jim just laughed. ?And for the record kid, I?m glad too. Don?t know what I would do without you.?

Blue eyes softened as he said that, knowing full well the death of his ex-wife caused him to rethink a lot of things. ?Is that why you snuck me on board that shuttle that day? Because you can?t live without me??

?Keep dreaming, kid, keep dreaming.?

A very nice wrap-up.

Bittersweet, poignant, with a touch of comic relief ? all in all, a beautiful combination for a fic! =D=

You know, I'd love to see a follow-up exploring Joanna's time aboard the Enterprise ? even from her POV would be fun. [face_thinking] I'm just saying . . . :p

[:D]

~MJ @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.