Story [Star Trek 2009] Enterprising Drabbles UDC4: Week 20 Updated 8/25/09!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Wow, Nurse Christine Chapel and James Kirk, interesting, very interesting indeed.
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I think I like this nurse :D Can't wait to see where it goes!
  3. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Jade_eyes: I?m on a role Jade. Thanks for being quick to reply. Your reviews let me know if the romance level is right. This set is more about Jim?s resistance to ?getting to know Christine better?. Mush to come! Amen about Han! As for Meg, soon. Very soon. But Jim/Christine is working itself out at the moment.

RX_Sith: I?m glad you think so. Thanks for stopping in, RX. My Christine won?t be as angst filled as the original, but she will be down the earth, a good foil for Jim in ways Bones can?t be, and welll?you?ll just have to wait and see. I hope you will come back.

NYCitygurl: Sweet, Nat. I?m glad you like her. She?ll be an interesting character to write. I want her to be low key in cool way. She won?t be shooting any phasers or fighting any Klingons, but she will be what Jim needs. I expect this ?ship to be a lasting one for me. Maybe even beyond drabbles.

Author note: Lord Nyax13 has not posted in the Star Trek thread in the NSWFF Resource in some time. I have been wanting to get some discussion going, maybe even a challenge at some point. I hope you will make it over there. The thread could be really cool, even with just a few of us.

Week 7 - 5/18/09 - provided by DaenaBenjen42

No Turning Back

Bones laughed in his face. It was a long, not very endearing laugh. And, when it was over, he added insult to injury.

?I?m sorry, Jim, but that?s pretty damn funny. How long have you had this bug??

?Are you done patronizing me?? Jim Kirk replied. ?Please let me know when you?re through.?

?I don?t know what to tell you,? Bones said, smirking. ?You got it bad.?

?But, I don?t want it,? Kirk protested. ?That?s why I came to you.?

?I?m a doctor, Jim,? Bones added. ?Not a counselor.?

?But, you are kind of my counselor.?

?Don?t press your luck.?

No Backing Down

Uhura caught up to the Captain as exited his quarters.

?Captain, er?Jim, do you have a moment?? she stammered.

?For you, Uhura, of course,? he replied graciously. ?What?s up??

?It?s about Nurse Chapel,? she said, knowing this was fragile ground.

Kirk noticeably tensed. ?What about her??

?Are you sweet on her?? It was out there, now. What?s would he do?

?That?s a strange question, Nyota,? he said, using her first name for effect. ?But while we?re getting personal, how would you recommend dispensing with any feelings I might have??

She folded her arms, straightened, and raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

Nowhere to Run

?Permission to speak freely, Sir?? Uhura asked coolly.

?Go ahead,? he droned, not liking her tone or body language. ?I?m all ears.?

?You really are a Jack Ass, Jim,? she declared without reservation.

He was taken aback by her bluntness. ?Excuse me??

?I?ve known you long enough to see the difference in your eyes when you?re on the prowl or when you might want more. Christine is a good woman. She likes you. I?m guessing you like her. Get over yourself and do something about it.?

?Done??

?Done.?

?Thank you, Lieutenant. That was most enlightening. I?ll take it under advisement.?

No One to Trust

When Jim entered the hydroponics bay, he noticed Sulu tending a vine of tomatoes. He wasn?t about to spill his guts to his navigator. There really wasn?t anyone who would tell how to get Christine Chapel out of his mind. Even Spock, his ?logical? fall back was so drunk on love, he suggested a double date. The situation was impossible.

But he thought some time ?smelling the roses?, literally and figuratively, might clear his mind. One thing about recycled air; not so fresh.

?Hello Captain,? Sulu said in greeting.

?Nothing personal, Lieutenant,? Kirk said turning and strolling from the room.

No Place to Hide

The bridge of a starship is a small enough place when you don?t fell like every one is looking at you and talking about you.

When Christine exited the turbo lift and made her way over to Bones, Jim did his best to ignore her. She smiled warmly. He nodded, professionall
  4. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Super set. :D :D Nyota rocked in Nowhere to Run :* [face_dancing] A double date huh? :cool: !!!! ;)
  5. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Woot, you have been busy! I like it. [face_dancing] :D

Week Six:

Yep. Filial was my favorite. Hands down. It was just perfect. [face_love] You portrayed a soft and beautiful blend of expectation and fear, and the POV you wrote in just made the drabble even more personal. I just kinda melted upon reading it. :) It was also good to see Meg here. "Maturity" was a very . . . interesting piece of writing, and she was definitely one of the highlights. 'Agent of chaos' indeed. :p And, as for the rest, I loved that you brought Christine in here. Kirk realizing his feelings for her was a hoot. especially:

Even the rock solid image of Yeoman Fox was being supplanted. Bones better have a damn good cure for this

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] I'm afraid that there's only one cure for that - and not one Bones can supply! [face_thinking] ;)

Week Seven:

*snicker* [face_devil] [face_laugh] OMG, that was perfect!!! I can see why you turned them out so soon. Man.

I'll be the first one to admit that Kirk fumbling around a girl has to be one of the funniest things ever. No Turning Back was a great carry over from last week. You showed the great dynamic between Kirk and Bones as well as writing spot on dialogue. "I'm a doctor, not a councelor." - Perfect!! [face_laugh] Nyota was great in the next two. And then Nowhere to Run just had me snickering again. The 'fresh air' bit was good, as was the logical Spock's proposal of a double date. [face_laugh] Man, that could make a series all on its own. ;) No Place to Hide was a perfect ending. Yeah, Kirk, resistance is futile. ;)

Thanks for another great two sets. I'm already ready for more! =D=

~MJ @};-

6. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    So Kirk has nowhere to go to talk about Christine who comes to him to ask for a date. Should definitely be interesting.
  7. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    A whole lot to catch up. But I finally did!

Gaze:

?But does she know you strip her naked with your eyes every time she brings you a report??

?You wound me, Bones. I merely admire her like a fine work of art. I?m not nearly as lascivious as you paint me.?

?Let?s keep paint out of it. I don?t need that kind of image.?

Oh, this had me laughing. Bones and Kirk together? Hilarious.

Stride:

?Mischief? Nothing of the sort. I merely made sure that a couple kissing in the hallway knew how unacceptable it was.?

?What?? McCoy ground out. ?You didn?t ask to join the party??

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I love how this Kirk/Chapel thing is going.
    I enjoyed all the sets so far. Thanks so much for the PM's!

I'm looking forward to more. :)

And sorry for the delay. ;)
  8. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Jade_eyes: I have enjoyed writing the last few sets. The lead in to Jim and Christine?s date has been a hoot. As for the double date suggested by Spock, I?ll have to work that out and post it as a separate vignette. Thanks for sticking with me, Jade.

Mira_Jade: Hey, Mira. Thanks for coming back. I?m so glad you liked ?Filial?. I was hoping it would have some emotional impact. Maturity was a lot of fun for me because it started out light, but with the right theme, and ended the same way. The middle was outrageous. Meg appears this week. I?m glad you have enjoyed Christine. I?ll have to put an actress to the face I have for her. She?s a pleasure to write as is this ?ship! More to come!

RX_Sith: Thanks, RX. I hope it keeps your interest. I?ve had fun.

Ceillean: Welcome back, Ceillean. It?s good to see you. Kirk and McCoy are my two favorites of the new crew. Their friendship is fun and funny to explore. I?ll keep sending the PMs until you tell me to stop!

Week 8 - 5/25/09 - provided by Mira_Jade

A Little Bit of This

When Kirk got a moment alone with Bones, he attacked.

?Did she think of that all on her own or did she have help??

?What are you talking about, Jim?? Bones replied with a gruff innocence.

?I saw the smirk on your face up on the bridge. I?m not blind.?

?Just deaf and dumb,? Bones retorted.

?What?? Kirk said, momentarily confused. ?Don?t change the subject.?

McCoy signed. ?We had to save you from yourself, Jim.?

?Who?s we, Bones??

?Myself, Sopock, Uhura, and, well, Chapel.?

?Wonderful.?

?You said ?yes?,? McCoy reminded him.

?I nodded,? Kirk protested.

?Semantics, Jim. You also smiled.?

Anything But That

The Enterprise did not afford much privacy. There were private quarters for each crewman, but beyond that, most of the rest of the ship was as public as a seaside promenade. There were lengths one might go to seek out privacy. But Kirk imagined that Christine would not think well of a picnic in the confined junction of a Jeffries tube. Maybe that could be their second date; if the fist date went well. The one thing he didn?t want to do was eat in the main commissary with all eyes on the two of them. Perhaps, the hydroponics bay?

Not For Nothing (Interlude)

Meg O?Malley watched as Captain Kirk and Commander Spock plodded their way through a game of three dimensional chess. At least that was her interpretation of their game. They probably thought they were matching wits and strategy; stalking each other play to play, looking fo- Who gives a crap? This had to stop.

She approached them quickly waving her hand and shaking her head.

?STOP!? she exclaimed.

Kirk was just about to make his move, when he stopped. ?What is it Lieutenant??

?Is it true that you beamed Scotty into Warp Core coolant tube?? she asked.

?How could I-Out, O?Malley!?

Everything Else

The hydroponics bay was perfect. It was romantic, but not cramped. It had a large view port with a good view of the stars. It even smelled nice in here. And, to insure privacy, he would invoke his authority to clear the bay of personal during the hour he set aside. The rumor mill about he and Chapel was already powered up, so his actions shouldn?t cause too many waves.

As he exited the bay, his mind on how he would like the date to go, he ran smack into Christine Chapel. She stumbled from the impact and fell to the deck.

What Matters Most

Three hours later, Jim and Christine sat a small table in front of the stars eating a meal of Teriyaki chicken with stir fried vegetables. A bottle of red wine sat on the table just in case and a small vase with a pink rose stood like beautiful barrier between them. The light was low, illuminating her soft features pleasantly and casting atmospheric shadows over about the room. He decided music would have been over kill as the ?garden room? has sounds of its own.

She looked at him; her sea blue eyes to his ice blue and smiled broadly.
  9. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    The hydroponics bay is a perfect place for a date, good choice there. And hopefully they won't run into each other unless it's on purpose. :D
  10. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    I like O'Malley. :p

And a date among the flowers -- how beautiful is that? *dreamy sigh*

Since it IS the Enterprise, I wonder who's going to interrupt and pop in unanounced?
  11. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Enjoyed that immensely especially What Matters Most... the atmosphere is wonderful and the food sounds delicious. :D Meg was funny in Not for Nothing... was she looking for facts or trying to throw off the game? [face_laugh]
  12. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Oh, these were too adorable for words!

I don't think that I have a favorite. Each were wonderfully written, and a joy to read. Fave moments, though:

?You said ?yes?,? McCoy reminded him.

?I nodded,? Kirk protested.

?Semantics, Jim. You also smiled.?

Yes, there is a world of a difference from a nod, and a nod/smile combo. ;) That whole back and forth was just perfect I think that I've said it a few times, but I'll say it again - you have dialogue between the two down pat. It's a hoot to read. :)

Meg O?Malley watched as Captain Kirk and Commander Spock plodded their way through a game of three dimensional chess. At least that was her interpretation of their game. They probably thought they were matching wits and strategy; stalking each other play to play, looking fo- Who gives a crap? This had to stop.

I love Meg. I really, really do. That was classic. =D=

Everything Else, and What Matters Most were both a wonderful culimation of the last few weeks. The atmosphere was lovely, and the 'running into each other' bit was adorable. [face_love] [face_love]

Thanks for another great set. They have all been a true pleasure to read. :D

~MJ @};-

13. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    RX_Sith: Thanks, RX. I?m glad you liked it. I may return to a second date soon enough. Or, perhaps the first needs some elaboration.

Ceillean: Good to see you, Ceillean. Thanks for coming back. I thought the setting worked well too. But no interruptions this time.

Jade_eyes: Thanks Jade. I?m glad you enjoyed the date. Such as it was. As for O?Malley, the only time she?s looking for facts is to blackmail someone. No, she was just being evil. :p

Mira_Jade: I?m so glad you enjoyed these, Mira. Thank you for the compliment on Kirk/Bones dialogue. I love these guys! Amd, Meg. Well, I can only hope I'm her justice. I'm happy it tickled your funny bone! Finally, we're not done with Jim/Christine by a long shot. More to come!

Author's Note: I'm finally caught up to the challenge. You'll now have to wait til Mondayish for more Enterprising Drabbles. Sad, I know. Thanks again to all those reading, reviewing, and lurking!

Lt. Meg O'Malley belongs to Psychodahlia, a writer over at ff.net. The Character was introduced in Maturity at that site. It is a daftly funny story which also touches on Kirk maturing as a Captain. That said, please enjoy Week 9.

Week 9 - 6/1/09 - provided by BigFatty

Necklace

Jim Kirk bent to kiss the hand of the Queen of Domoran II. The diamond necklace she wore was elaborate and probably contained twelve to fifteen different pieces; the lowest of which led his eyes?lower. She was not an elderly woman, far from it, and her shapeliness was accentuated by a form fitting golden gown. When he raised his eyes from her hand, he was sure she leered at him. A giggle began in his stomach, but he contained it. There was a time when he would not have passed up an opportunity to sleep with a sexy older woman.

Earrings

The first time Spock saw Nyota wear earrings, he wasn?t sure what to make of the elongated loops which hung from her lobes. He knew it was an adornment traditional to Earth women, but still they looked strange to him; out of the ordinary.

?Nyota, what is the origin of earrings you are wearing?? he asked.

?The Super Mall down town, Silly,? she replied, playfully. ?Do you like them? I wanted to make a statement??

?For my opinion to be fully formed, I would need to know what statement you are trying to make.?

?You don?t like them, do you??

Watch

The date with Christine had gone great. Jim felt on top of the world. In fact he was sitting on the edge of his command chair waiting for the end of his shift so he could see her again. He didn?t wear a watch; against regulations, and who needed one anyway when you could ask the compute what time it was. That?s all well and good until your command staff starts to wonder why you?re asking so often. A leg begins to bounce. Knuckles wrap on the arms of the chair. He whistles a wistful tune.

Inevitably, the heads turned.

Belt

Iowa boys wore jeans; often even to bed; and with that came belt and buckle. Jim never sported an elaborate, garish buckle. He preferred something more stylish and subtle. When he left for Starfleet Academy, he wasn?t prepared for clothing which had no belt. It was a small inconvenience to overcome. He had no idea that he would be seeing a tailor as his first act as a cadet. He was measured, clothes were replicated, and he was sent on his way. He wondered how good the tailor was considering Bones cursed his ill fitting uniform on a daily basis.

Ring

?I almost married once, ya know,? said Scotty, leaning against the door frame of the rarely used Enterprise kitchen. ?I bought a ring and everythin?.?

?That so,? replied O?Malley, only half listening to the engineer. She was tinkering with the distillery she had constructed within days of arriving on the ship. She was loath to admit that Scott has contributed at all, but, alas, he had provided a vital part. ?What happened??

?I caught her cheating,? he continued, seriously. ?I could never forgive her after that.?

?Sad story,? she mumbled, flipping th
  14. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Ooh, I cannot pick a fave. All were absolutely sweet and fun. :D I see Nyota's an earring nut like me. :) Then there's Spock--yup, we're twins in that department too. [face_laugh] =P~ !!!!!!!
  15. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Another amusing set. They all have different nuances that each character is starting to show. Great work as always! =D=
  16. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Jack Daniels...I just laughed out loud.
    A wonderful funny set!

Uhura had a typical female reaction, didn't she? Spock and the earrings.
    Just great.

[face_laugh]
  17. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Oh my goodness, those were a hoot to read!! [face_love]

I loved Jim in the first one - I feel amost proud of him. :p earings were so typical between any couple, I think. It was too cute for words.

And yet, Ring was my favorite. I could see the scene playing out wonderfully in my head. [face_laugh]

Priceless. :D

~MJ @};-
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] Jack Daniels :D

Uhura and spock are so cute!! [face_love]
  19. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Reviews to come.

Author note: I look forward to your thought this week. I?m not quite sure how I feel about it. I hope you like the mushness!

Week 10 ?Writer?s Choice?

Serenity

Since the day he Nyota had moved beyond the platonic instructor-student relationship, Spock had been using her as a source for his meditations. He would not meditate on her every time, but he found the dominated his thoughts more now than ever. If it were known, others might find that Nyota would be more of a distraction than a bedrock meditative subject. They would be wrong. Nyota gave serenity human form. Her figure was lithe and spry. Her mind was sharp and intelligent. And, her soul was compassionate and loving. What better subject was there to help settle his mind?

Surprise

When the door to sickbay swished open and Jim walked in, McCoy was immediately suspicious. The captain appeared to favoring his left elbow with the soft side of an irritated scowl on his face. Standing from his desk to meet Jim, McCoy was surprised to see that Christine was already at Jim?s side. He observed them thoughtfully, like pair of ducklings playing, unaware that a crow was nearby. It wasn?t sad that he took a perverse pleasure in embarrassing his friend, it was pure, unadulterated fun.

?Jim, I?m glad you?re here,? he announced. ?I heard you were complaining of lovesickness.?

Sanctity

There were few things that Jim Kirk held dear in his life; few things he believed in enough to die for them. First and foremost, his mother. She had always been there for him. Secondly, his friend Leonard McCoy. It was this friendship which tempered and encouraged him through his years at the Academy. Thirdly, his ship and crew. Kirk was not fool enough to think he was more than a selfish jerk before Starfleet. Now he was ready to believe in The Federation, Starfleet, and himself. Believing in himself, has made him a better man and a better captain.

Squeal

Jim had heard women squeal before. On those occasions it was usually dark and they were certainly naked. This was not the case now. Jim laughed as he chased Christine from the farm house toward the barn. As he bounded down the front step after her, he caught her waist with his hands. She twisted free squealing with glee and picked up her pace toward the red doors with giant Xs. He raced after her as she disappeared inside. Upon entering, he felt hands on his arm as he was pulled, then pushed into a mound of freshly cut hay.

Sigh

Captain James T. Kirk was 25 years old and in love. Yes, in love. Not infatuation. Not in lust; although, this could not be counted out of the equation. Not on the rebound. There were no previous candidates. No, from what he could tell, this was the real thing. He?d never felt this way before. He?d never really wanted to feel this way. In another life, with other priorities, this would have weighed him down; restricted his freedom. In his new life, with new priorities, she was a perfect fit. Damned if it wasn?t the weirdest feeling in the world.

20. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Delightful. Delightful. Just too delicious for words. :) [face_dancing] I eagerly look forward to this uppie every week, as in waiting to exhale LOL

[:D]

[:D]
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Aww, that's really sweet!!
  22. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    More excellent Kirk/Christine mush and their love continues to grow. Loving this aspect of Kirk very, very much.
  23. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Jade_Eyes: *Palpatine voice* Goood?Goood *Palpatine voice* I?m so glad you enjoyed these, Jade. More mush to come!

NYCitygurl: Thanks, Nat. It?s good to see you, here in the Trekness!

RX_Sith: I like this side of Kirk too. He hasn?t lost his edge, just changed his priorities.

Week 11 - 6/15/09 - provided by brodiew

Bite the Bullet

Jim and Christine had finished their meal and an awkward silence came over the table. He looked at his plate. She looked out the view port. The food had been good as had the conversation. Christine had talked her experiences in sick bay, but quickly saw that this was not what Jim wanted to know about most. She spoke of her family and childhood. He smiled at her good fortune in the family department and deflected her questions about his own adolescence. She decided to up the ante.

?Jim, why did you wait for me to ask you to dinner??

Break the Ice

?So, Spock, what do you do for fun?? Jim asked to break the tension of the recent briefing.

?Fun is irrelevant, Jim,? the Vulcan stoically replied.
    ?Now, I know you?re lying,? Kirk replied, undeterred. ?I saw the smile on your face when you entered ?Time Ship?. There was a glow in your eyes when you blasted the Romulan about to kill me.?

?I don?t lie. And how do you know that ?glow?, as you put it, was not due to your impending demise??

Kirk laughed. ?Come on, Spock. If I died, you?d never have any fun.?

?There was no glow.?

Knock on Wood

Christine had not expected the capta-Jim to be so bashful in his response to question. Shy was not a word she would associate with him or his reputation. When he honestly answered that he had been fighting his growing attraction to her, she was, at first, disappointed and a little embarrassed. He had then stumbled into a recovery, reassuring her to a fault that he wanted to be here and that he hoped there would be another date. Her experience with him so far was not living up to his sorted reputation. When they parted, she agreed to second date.

Off the Hook

When Christine stepped through the hatch and entered the junction between Jeffries tubes 26 and 84, Jim?s jaw dropped. She was wearing a form fitting white jumpsuit with a Starfleet logo above her left breast. Her golden blond hair was pulled back into a tight pony tail. Her blue eyes were alight with the excitement of their second date.

?Hey, there,? she said in greeting, her voice echoing slightly.

?Back at you,? he replied, meeting her eyes. ?You look beautiful, Christine.?

She looked at the deck and noticed a blanket with cheese, crackers, assorted fruits, and wine.

?Thank you, Jim.?

Back Seat Driver

It took months for the teasing to subside after the parking break incident. Forget that he and Captain Kirk had free fallen and taken out a couple of nasty looking Romulans; what they remembered was a switch he forgot the flip when leaving Earth?s orbit.

The one person whom thankfully had not ribbed him about it was Chekov. He was thankful that his partner at the navigational console had not jumped on the bandwagon.

He spoke too soon. During a quiet moment on the bridge, Pavel leaned over to him and said: ?You know the Russians invwented the parking break.?

24. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Another great set. The ones with Christine and Jim were sweet. But Break the Ice -- :* :* :* !!!!!! You got Spock dead on again. Bravo and I've melted. [face_laugh] :)
  25. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Breaking the Ice was superb! The others with Jim/Christine were mushy and excellent as well.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.