main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] "For a Loop", Spock & Bones, short-story - Bromance Challenge! Part Two up 8/17!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    ?For a Loop?

Genre
    : Humor, Drama (Character Study)
    Rating: PG
    Time Frame: Post ST XI
    Characters: Leonard ?Bones? McCoy, Spock

Summary: There's a fine line between respect and incredulity; between admiration and disapproval ? five times McCoy treads very, very close to crossing over them.

Notes: This started for the Unofficial Bromance Challenge, but in the end it became a five part little series that explores the relationship between Spock and Bones. Why? Because it is fun. :p The first part meets the 'menial labor' part of the challenge guidelines (kinda), but after that it's on its own. ;)

A few will be silly, a few will be angsty, but at the end, I hope that I've made a point. :)

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine but for the words. :)

[u][b]Part I.[/b] [i]?and while a professional regarding may not be so far out of reach, anything more . . .?[/i][/u]

McCoy was getting very, very good to counting to ten.

?Doctor.?

[i]One . . . two . . .[/i]

?Yes, Commander??

[i]Three . . . four . . .[/i]

?I find myself curious as to the conclusions you've reached -?

[i]Five.[/i]

?Really, now??

[i]Six.[/i]

?Yes. Doctor, if I may speak frankly with you??

[i]Seven.[/i]

?I welcome it.? Total and complete sarcasm ? the memory kind.

[i]Eight.[/i]

?Really?? Spock seemed perplexed.

[i]Nine . . . Ten[/i] ? quickly together now.

?You suggest that the fastest way to circumvent the intruders would be to reroute them by the forward part of the compound, thus cutting them off from their support from the transports -?

? - Which it would.?

?Please, Doctor, the interruptions are unprofessional, and illogical.?

McCoy sucked in a deep breath, and found all of his counting doing little to assist him with his temper. ?I wouldn't have to interrupt if you would get it right the first time,? he muttered.

Running alongside him, the Vulcan tilted his head. ?Doctor, I believe that my logic was correct prior to your cutting in.?

[i]One . . . Two . . .[/i]

Over the headset, Kirk's voice was both annoyed and amused by turns as he cut into their . . . conversation. ?You are both behaving childishly,? Kirk said simply. ?Now, I just needed a simple answer, gentleman ? which way would their reinforcements be most likely to come from??

A routine stop in at Devros IV had turned into a raid from a local radical group on the ruling house. The thin atmosphere of Devros made it necessary for environmental suits for the entirety of the away team ? and McCoy was needed on hand for treating adverse reactions to the atmospheric conditions from those in the group. As a Doctor, it was ridiculous how much he ended up in the line of fire ? truly ridiculous.

He was getting too old for this.

?Which direction?? Kirk prompted again.

?The rear of the compound,? McCoy answered as soon as Spock said: ?The front of the compound.?

[i]Three. Four. Five.[/i]

?Gentleman,? now Kirk's voice was sharp.

?Hey, don't get snippy with me - [i]he[/i] started it,? McCoy said mulishly.

?Started what?? How Spock could sound perplexed while still running easily with his phaser at the ready was something that grated at McCoy.

?Nothing,? McCoy muttered mulishly.

[i]Six. Seven. Eight.[/i]

?Scanners read a mass of unusually warm-blooded lifeforms making it this way,? Spock said matter-of-factly.

?From?? Kirk prompted.

?The front of the compound,? Spock said.

Of course.

[i]Nine. Ten.[/i]

?No need to sound so smug about it,? McCoy snapped.

?Smug, Doctor?? Spock questioned, confused.

He could [i]hear[/i] Kirk roll his eyes. ?Bones ? snap out of it. Now, I need you two to draw them to the west wing ? there's a large gathering hall there. I'm heading there with the security squad, and we'll take over the radicals there.?

?Because I just [i]love[/i] just being bait,? McCoy muttered, the fine hairs

2. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Spock raised a brow. ?Doctor, we have been cleaning a substance of a dissatisfactory nature for the last 33.59 minutes. Within 6.01 minutes I hope to be done. And within that time, the Captain will have expected us to come to an understanding ? I trust you understand mine now, Doctor??

Mira_Jade, you have a definite knack for writing characterizations of TOS characters that ring completely true, and this line right here is perfect, classic Spock. I loved this story. The strange friendship (because that's what it is, however much they may deny it!) between McCoy and Spock is the reason I've been watching through the Original Series this summer. I can't get enough of those two, and now I learn that you're writing a series of stories about them? *does happy dance*

I'll just wait right here until the next update... ;)

3. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    OMG!!! I love your Bones/Spock. First off I love the fact they love to antagonize each other while trying to figure out an escape plan.

And because of their bickering, or non bickering (God I love Spock), Kirk made them clean up! Ha!

Love it can't wait for more!

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yup, that is absolutely classic.

McCoy's tone is perfectly done writing wise =D= -- but he's so busy being irritated and insisting on being right that he doesn't realize that his opinions are respected and that the emotional way isn't better or worse -- just different and that Spock never said his way is better than Kirk's or McCoy's -- it just cuts a clearer path sometimes -- and meshes well with the intuitive quite often.

The setting is wonderful -- full of action and a perfect setup for the Trek version of jumping into the Death Star garbage chute -- ick!!! How Han and Leia bickered when they had to land in that one [face_laugh] But it beat the alternative of being mowed down by stormtroopers :p

Kirk's mediation is wonderful -- no wonder he's such a great diplomat.

He sees both of their sides. :cool:

Spock -- talking "sense" and shooting straight -- ah! Like a Jedi what?

"I love you, my dear Jedi."

[face_love]

Duh!!
    I'll be watching this yummy for updates.

[:D]

[:D]

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Great challenge response!! I can't wait to see how their relationship develops :)

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Wonderful response to the challenge, Mira. I love the counting out of the gate. I could totally see Bones doing that. And, the comic timing of it was perfect. I enjoyed the slow counting and then the sped up counting.

Manure! Poor guys. Luckily they were wearing vac suits. Cleaning them is better than wearing the stuff on yout person.

Nice ending. All it takes is Spock letting McCoy know he repsects his opinion was enough to sooth the savage doctor. Baby steps.

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Nienna: Reading your thoughts made my day! The most perfect part of TOS was the back and forth of the main trio - and Spock and Bones was such a great part of that! I hope that you continue to enjoy their interesting ride. ;)

Master_Jaina: Oh, it was just as fun to write, lemme tell you! [face_laugh] Thanks for reading this one as well. ;)

Jade: I am so glad that you enjoyed this one! McCoy is a fun character to slip into - and Spock is a no-brainer for me. ;) [face_love] They really are two sides of the same coin, neither better or right . . . just different. Together those differences fill the holes in each other until they are just awesome. Gah, I am having a blast with this! lol! [face_laugh]

Nat: It sure will be fun. That's for sure. ;)

Brodie: I am glad that you - most of all - enjoyed that installment. You write a great bromance, and if the baby-steps work in your opinion, I know they work all around. [:D]

~MJ @};-

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    II. ?and while you can lend a hand, I don't find it necessary to hold . . .?

McCoy decided, after spending an hour and seventeen minutes staring through the electrically charged bars, that he would rather spend another hour and seventeen minutes staring blankly through them in order to have anyone else bail them out.

Of course, the fates found it necessary to send the one person from the Enterprise who wouldn't see it fit to deal with the situation that Jim landed them in - again ? with a smile and a few well meant jokes. They chose to send Spock ? with his memorized regulations and his logic and . . . aw hell, but McCoy could feel the headache pounding in his temples growing exponentially.

The silence stretched on; long and uncomfortable. The Vulcan's stylus against the release forms tapping in the silence, and Jim's labored breathing behind him making a recipe for skin crawling that he didn't quite care for. At all.

?One word,? McCoy finally snapped at the unblinking eyes and the mouth that was neither creased in humor or disapproval. ?One word, I dare you.?

?Doctor?? Spock questioned, the creases of his eyes narrowing. ?One word in what matter, seeing as how eight of them were just used? Fourteen now.?

McCoy fought the urge to slap his forehead.

?In your action of daring me for 'one word', were you requesting me not to say anything about the unorthodox and dubious way you ended up incarcerated this evening??

?That would be the word, Spock ? and there wasn't a 'request' about it.?

Spock raised a brow. ?I see.?

Behind McCoy, Kirk was laying out miserably on the stone floor. He had one arm bent so that he was throwing his forearm across his eyes, blocking out the tired light from the ancient cell. The other hand was rhythmically clenching and unclenching against the stone floor. There was a cold-sweat broken out on his forehead, and his golden uniform clung to his torso in a dull shade of ochre. Whatever serum that had been laced through his drink was making its way through his body now, coming out in shakes and sweating ? McCoy had nothing to treat it where they were, and so he was stuck bickering until he could be more useful.

?Can we wait to be children until after the phasers stop going off behind my eyes?? Kirk muttered pitifully.

Spock's brow furrowed, and so McCoy rolled his eyes and explained for the other man. ?It's an exaggeration to highlight a point,? he said irritably. ?He doesn't actually have phasers going off behind his eyes ? it just hurts like it does.?

?So the Captain has a headache?? Spock summarized, understanding lighting his eyes.

?To start with,? McCoy grumbled a concession. ?So, if you can get us out of here so that I can get him back to the medbay, I'd greatly appreciate it.?

?I shall endeavor to expedite the process,? Spock said, his his hand moving the stylus over the forms with a mechanical sort of precision.

?Thank-you,? Kirk murmured pitifully from the floor. ?Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.?

?Yeah,? McCoy echoed. ?Thanks.?

?There is no thanks necessary ,? Spock said absently as he sped through the forms. ?As my commanding officer, it was logical for me to do all that is needed to return the Captain to the ship. And, now he in need of medical treatment, and as you are the commanding medic aboard . . .?

McCoy raised a brow. ?I'm glad it's logical for me to tag along, then.?

Spock was oblivious to the sarcasm in his tone.

Behind McCoy, Kirk snorted. The sound came out phlegmy, no doubt ruining the derisive sound he was aiming for. ?What he means to say,? Kirk slurred, ?is that he'd miss us if we were left to rot here.?

Spock paused from filling out the form, but he did not counter the Captain's statement.

McCoy shook his head. ?Right,? he muttered, because anything more would mean him reevaluating his views on life and the world, and he was too tired to do so at the moment.

?You should find everything to be filled out in a satisfactory manner,? Spock said as he handed t

9. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    OMG, Kirk and Bones in jail...and Spock has to bail them out.

Priceless.

And Spock's logic on "just one word"...i was laughing so hard (very on the inside, gotta answer these phones civilly)

But I just loved how Spock and Bones worked together for the well being of Kirk.

I can understand that undying loyalty to him. He is just that kind of man (that i totally want)

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    ?What he means to say,? Kirk slurred, ?is that he'd miss us if we were left to rot here.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I love the interactions, and Kirk was hilarious as always :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.