main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] Friends Indeed - friendship vig

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Friends Indeed
    Author: Jade eyes
    Fandom: Star Trek 2009
    Genre: Friendship and reflection vig
    Characters: Nyota/Gaila
    Summary: On the eve of divergent missions, Gaila sends a message of thanks, well wishes, and friendship, because who couldn't love Her Grace, Ms. I'm-So-Blessed Uhura?
    A/N & Disclaimer: Don't own the characters, Gaila's new to me but I've loved the type forever, so here goes. (BTB, in the SW-verse Mara, Leia, and Jaina fit the snark bill LOL)

R/R, please? Huggles and oodles of love, Je

~~~~~~~~~
    Hello, Nyota:

You probably never thought to get one of these from me, right? What in the five levels of Orion?s Hades am I doing? Well, I guess, since we?re both about to ship out in the next day or so, and who knows when or if we?ll see each other again ? I figured there were a few things I need to let you know.

When we met, I thought to myself: this lady?s got her act together, got amazing looks, a brilliant mind, and a cushy life. So when you started in with your compassion and I-know-where-you?re-coming-from spiel, or what I told myself was a spiel, my first reaction as you know was: ?Don?t patronize me and don?t try to be my therapist.?

But what I found the most amazing thing in those early days was that ? you actually meant it. And I felt your warmth and acceptance were just what I?d needed without knowing I did or even how to ask. Your sharp wit and your respect for my feelings and ? tolerance of my out-there lifestyle ? you might think it didn?t register with me, but it did. Thank you for that, for not judging and being there, just being there when I needed support. You never crowded or assumed ? you were just available. You helped to restore my faith in the quality of real friendship.

And, Nyota, but weren?t you ? discriminating when it came to men!! Something I grudgingly admit that I admired but could never emulate. What, I wondered, were you waiting for? When I found out through little nuances in your eyes and voice that you?d actually *found* who you?d been looking for and who it was, though I teased you ruthlessly, I secretly thought: The lady has taste, excellent taste. At first, I was cynically doubtful of it lasting, what love ever does? But like with everything else you?ve taught me, I saw before me a miraculous thing: an attachment strong and true enough to weather just about anything. I know I don?t need to tell you not to let him get away!!

I know you?re looking forward to your tour, as am I. I wish you clear skies and admit that I am a little envious of your posting. I know you will do excellently. I hope to carry the life lessons you?ve taught me and hope to be as true a friend to others as you have been to me.

Ever, Gaila

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    That was a cute and heartfelt note :) I liked her in the movie, though we didn't get to see much of the character. I juz hope she wasn't on one of those ships that didn't[/] make it out of that fight :( Did any of those ships make it out besides Enterprise? I can't recall...

Great post! :D

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Okay, I'm not going to lie - I'm actually tearing up right about now. That was perfect, heartfelt, sentimenta without being sappy, and just . . . WOW! =D=

You know that I have a soft spot and/or fascination for Gaila, and I think that you portrayed her excellently in this. :D The paragraph about Spock was particularly touching, but this:

I know you?re looking forward to your tour, as am I. I wish you clear skies and admit that I am a little envious of your posting. I know you will do excellently. I hope to carry the life lessons you?ve taught me and hope to be as true a friend to others as you have been to me.

kinda just took the cake for me. @};-

A wonderful way to wrap everything up. =D=

[face_love]

~MJ @};-

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Another beautifully written note. Galia's story wasn't as fleshed out considering she was an Orion and we see Kirk trying to take advantage of her. But, she questions Kirk's motives just like she does for Nyota's. It's unspoken in the movie, but you have captured her essence and she was more than just a Starfleet Cadet. Great work! =D=

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi:

@};-

@};-

Heartfelt, sentimental without being sappy--terrific, since that was the tone I was going for and it's a hard balance especially since I could gush on about Nyota, so I had to rein it in [face_laugh]

Mira -- the part you quoted, isn't that the loveliest thing a friend could say about another? :D :D

I love taking little showcased characters and bringing them to life. :)

Thank you all for the lovely feedback.

[face_love]
    [face_love]

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Very, very nice indeed. But sad in a way, knowing that Gaila didn't make it. Or did she? I'm not sure anymore.
    I really liked Gaila. She was the flirty, out-there girl with the big smile and the one to hug life.

=D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Ceillean: :)

Thanks for the review. :D

Not sure if she makes it, that'll have to wait for the sequel.

[face_dancing]

Even when it looks like "all hands" have been lost [face_thinking] it's miraculous who survives. :cool:

@};-

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was very cute!! I love their bond.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Nat -- :D Thanks! :) I think Nyota would be an easy person to get attached to. :* :* !!!!!!

;)

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Marvelous. I really ennjoyed this. I like her initial 'don't judge me' attitude. But, it didn't take long for her to recognize Nyota's genuine compassion.

There is a familiarity and trust in this prose. I think you really captured Galia well.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Brodiew -- hi! And thanks! That familiarity and trust, grudging acceptance leading to genuine friendship -- :D That is how I see their friendship developing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.