main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] Gloating, Grateful, or Both? - mushy one-shot

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Gloating, Very Grateful, Or Both? - Mushy one-shot
    Author: Jade eyes
    Fandom: Star Trek 2009
    Characters: Spock & Nyota and Kiana, an OC cousin of Nyota's
    Disclaimer: Own nothing but the words and oodles and oodles of adoration.
    Summary: Kiana and Nyota share "live" subspace messages about something that's thrown Kiana for a loop in her immediate family. Nyota shares with her love bunny (my word not hers LOL) and she ... gloats a little ... about her own blessedness in the relationship department.
    A/N: Thanks a bunch to Mira Jade for looking this over?as always, her comments and additions are wonderful! Hugs!

~!~!~!~!~!

Nyota was in her quarters clearing away some of the day?s left over work when the incoming communication chime sounded. She activated the connection and then stared at the screen in surprised bafflement at her cousin, Kiana. It took a lot of technical juggling to synchronize equipment and timing elements so as to send ?live? subspace messages. Usually, these were of an urgent nature, or had to be kept brief in duration, since the power expenditure was quite high.

She and Kiana often sent long wordy letters to each other, but an actual call?! It was rare, indeed.

?What is it?? Nyota asked after their initial greetings were exchanged.

?I?ve just arrived on Sarvel III about to start my tour as a social worker and Dayvid is going to join me right before our child is due.? Kiana started, stating things Nyota already knew ? She?s stalling, but why? Nyota wondered.

?I know, how?s the pregnancy going??

?Better,? Kiana answered, relieved. ?Except I feel like a beached whale sometimes. But the morning sickness has finally eased!? Kiana paused, her dark eyes looking quite haunted. ?Mom?s coming to be with me.? She said, as if finally taking the plunge into an unpleasant topic.

Nyota?s Aunt Siohvan was lovely ? coming as she did from the part of United Europe known as Ireland. She had vibrant blue eyes and auburn hair. She worked as a historian specializing in ancient civilizations on and off Terra. Her husband, Drake, was in the same profession.

?What about Uncle Drake?? Nyota asked. ?He wouldn?t miss the birth of his first grandchild, surely??

The haunted look became definitely pained. ?He and Mom are about to get divorced, Ny. He?s been having an ? affair, as the expression goes ? for two years with someone who works for him, named Tiffany of all things! She?s much younger than Mom of course and he ?claims? to be crazy about her!?

?What?!? Nyota gasped, shocked ? Tiffany??! ?I thought they were happy ? more than most, in fact.?

Two years, Nyota reflected numbly. Not a lapse in judgment, but a deliberate, treacherous double life. As she had grown up, Nyota had loved spending summers with her aunt and uncle on the Irish coast. Their household had been full of laughter and fun, all combined with a warm affection as easy to bask in as the lovely seascape. And, if Nyota had ever thought about it, she?d assumed her aunt and uncle?s relationship was as rock-steady as her own parents? was. That particular thought gave her a queasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

?So did my mom, Bronwen, and I.? Kiana admitted bitterly. Her sister, Bronwen, was younger by about three years. Kiana could roll with the punches, but Bronwen was more the sensitive type. They used to say she?d cry at the drop of a hat.

?I?m so sorry, Kiana,? Nyota said sympathetically. ?I bet Auntie is shattered.?

?She is. And so are the rest of us. I don?t know whether to ask Dad to be here or not.? Her voice choked up.

?You?d never forgive yourself if you kept your dad from knowing his grandchild. However despicable his actions are toward your mom, he still has the right to know him or her. At least, make the invitation. If he refuses, at least your conscience will be clear.? Nyota said, as calmly as she could manage. Her tone strove to be encouraging.

Kiana was silent for a long thoughtful moment as she toyed with the stem of her wine glass. ?Thank you, cuz. You always hav

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think this is my favorite of your stories so far. It's touching to see Nyota consoling her cousin like that - what a nasty situation!!

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Gah, I had a totally awesome reply all done, and then my computer ate it. Conniving fiend . . . :oops:

Anyway. :)

First off, you have to know how much I adore this story. Nyota's advice was stop on - treading the beautiful line between sympathy and wisdom, which is sometimes a difficult one to tread. It's a hard thing to write . . . let alone actually deal with in real life. You pulled it off splendidly. =D=

And can I love our darlings any more after this?!?!?! [face_love] Seriously, I am on a shipper high right now. :p

Particular favorites:

?You?d never forgive yourself if you kept your dad from knowing his grandchild. However despicable his actions are toward your mom, he still has the right to know him or her. At least, make the invitation. If he refuses, at least your conscience will be clear.? Nyota said, as calmly as she could manage. Her tone strove to be encouraging.

That was a . . . beautiful thing to say. The right thing. Thank goodness for our gal's stubborn sense of goodness and logic, because I would have been tempted to say something more along the lines of : "Forget that! Man-whore dad and slut/stripper Tiffany can be fruitful and multiply many STDs. Who needs them? :mad:" Gah . . . that's such an anger inducing situation! Nyota handled it very well. [face_love]

?I know you won?t throw me over for a Tiffany.? She said with a laugh. ?Or a Bambi either.?

Or an Amber, or a Candi, or a Muffin . . . [face_batting] [face_love] Oh yeah, that was adorable. [face_dancing]

?Nyota,? Spock teased, ?Are you ? gloating??

?Who, me?? Nyota asked, too innocently. ?I?m just ? very grateful to have you.?

Check it out . . . this gooey mess all over the keyboard used to be Mira. :p She will be corporeal as soon as she gets out of the squee!ing fit she's in . . .

Thanks for the stellar vig, hon! I enjoyed every word of it!! [:D]

[face_dancing]

[:D]

~MJ @};-

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Nat -- Thank you! [face_blush] :* :* I've been reading some stellar novels with great friendship scenes with fantabulous H/C ... so I've been absorbing LOL plus, I feel Nyota's a straight talking, warm-hearted confidante. :D And, I feel she has a very excellent reason to "gloat" [face_laugh]

Mira ? the only thing stranger than having your review get eaten up is a double post :p Oh thank you for saying the sympathy balanced with the straight talk. I didn?t want it to be too heavy on either side, just a sweet blend. :) Lands, I know I can?t love them any more than I already do ? until I do! LOL Loved the bits you quoted. [face_love] I gloat for Nyota as well -- to be loved so exquisitely and so completely by such a beautiful soul =P~ -- raptures!

As for the particular family situation, I think it is one of the hardest ones coming as it seems to out of left field and all :p

Hugs!!!!!

P.S. It?s a wonder I can type I?m so gooified all the time [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.