Story [Star Trek 2009] Lest Character Be Forsaken (UDC 7) Week 2 2/13/13

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Feb 1, 2013.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    UDC 7

Week 1

Baby

From the moment of his birth, James T. Kirk was in turmoil. Even as the survivors of the USS Kelvin limped to safety, the boy inWinona’s arms could not rest. The stress and pain exuded not only from his mother, but each of the crew members around him, became his norm. He could feel it and, as much as an infant can, he embraced it. He could not be consoled and would not submit to swaddling. It wasn't long before the child was taken from her in order that both of them could rest in some semblance of peace.

Child

Even at six years old, Little Lenny McCoy was not able to stray far from his mother’s protective grasp. When the family went camping atLakeBenson, she preferred that he stay a fair distance from the water’s edge. This did not keep the boy from gathering a formidable pile of smooth rocks to send dancing across the sheet glass surface of the lake. He liked to imagine they were starships making mini jumps to warp speed.

Finally, after no less than one hundred ships had warped to a watery grave, Lenny heard his mom call him inside to lunch.

Teenager

It was clear at an early age that Nyota was a prodigy with languages. Among the many she had mastered by the time she was a teenager was French, her personal favorite. The young woman begged her mother incessantly to visit the Western European country of the language’s origin. To no avail. It was not until her 18th year, the year she applied toStarfleetAcademy, that her mother granted her desire.

As she stepped off the air shuttle, and stared down the Avenue des Champs-Elysees, her heart was filled with more than just the romance of her favorite language.

Adult

“I grow weary of your-”

“You grow weary? Of me? I hear that a lot from you, Spock. In fact, you must be the most weary commander in all of Starfleet. How do you get anything done burdened with so much fatigue?”

“It is rather miraculous that I-”

“Miraculous? I thought there was only one miracle worker on this ship.”

“I hardly think-”

“Now wait just a minute. I didn't mean me. Is that what you thought? I meant Mr. Scott!”

“Of course.”

“So what were you thinking?”

“That it is time for my evening meditation.”

“Of course it is.”

Elderly

“I think I want to go camping up at Lake Benson one last time,” Bones said as he carefully lowered himself into the seat next to his friend. “Do you think the Spock would want to join us?”

“You’re assuming my advanced age has addled my brain,” Kirk responded. “I haven’t signed on yet.”

“You’re going,” the older man declared. “A dying man’s last wish can’t be denied by his best friend.”

“ I've seen what happens when the three of us go camping,” Kirk said, flippantly. “It’s not pretty.”

“They aren't us,” the doctor snarled. “Call Spock and get packed.”
    Last edited by brodiew, Feb 13, 2013
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    These are great! Elderly was funny and sad :( I love adult; I was laughing out loud :D

I'm so excited to see more of these!
  3. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Brodie!! You are doing the drabble again. :D I was so, so thrilled to see these up. :D [face_dancing]

Baby: Oh, but you captured the awful emotions that followed perfectly - what an awful way for a child to be introduced to the world. :(
    Child: What a wonderful little glimpse into McCoy's early life! (You spawned a few ideas of my own with this. :p)
    Teen: I love how you captured not just her love of languages, but of travel and new things. A lovely character insight.
    Adult: [face_laugh] Jim really knows which buttons to push. They sounded like a married couple here. And the last two lines clenched this - my fav of the set. [face_love]
    Elderly: What a wonderful way to bring these full circle! I love that their friendship is sill thriving, that would certainly be the camping trip to remember. :p

An excellent first set, I can't wait for more. =D=
  4. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    NyCitygul: Thanks, Nat. It's been a while. I feel a little out of proctice, but I really appreciate you reading an reviewing.

Mira_Jade: Mira! Oh how I love your reviews. I'm thankful for such a faithful reader. I promise to talk more next time. Elderly was a reference to Kirk's mindmeld with Spock Prime. That camping trip in STV was painful(IMHO).

Week Two

Healthy

“I’m this close to giving you a clean bill of health,” Bones said, bringing his thumb and forefinger within millimeters of each other.

“So, what’s stopping you,” Kirk responded while pulling his gold command tunic back into place.

“I think you should ask nicely,” the doctor retorted.

“Why would I do that?”

“It took a lot just to get you in here.”

“And it was wasted effort, wasn’t it?” Kirk barbed. “I’m in here often enough. One would think my level of health was a foregone conclusion.”

“If by foregone conclusion, you mean walking wounded, I agree,” the doctor retorted.

Injured

Doctor Leonard McCoy was never a fan of the phrase ‘Physician, heal thyself’. It was especially annoying in the middle of a firefight with two other crewman down and gaping gash in his shin. McCoy’s training said to take care of himself first, so he could better care for those in his charge. McCoy’s heart said crewmen could die if he waited another second to attend his leg. Grabbing his tricorder, Bones lurched toward the nearest casualty.

“No way, Bones!” said Kirk, dropping into position next to him. “I’m not losing my CMO because he’s too stubborn to follow protocol.”

Sick

“Poetic justice,” Kirk said matter of fact.

“What…are you…talking about?” Nyota moaned from under a mountain of covers.

“I seem to remember this situation, reversed, some years back.”

“Where is…Spock?”

“Sick like you,” Kirk replied, satisfie. “Laid up in his quarters calling for Daddy.”

“Unlikely,” Nyota managed with effort.

“True,” Kirk relented. “But he is in sickbay being examined by Bones.”

“Unfortunate,” Nyota whispered.

“Kinda of like this tea Bones sent along for you,” said Kirk grinning. “It’s time for your medicine, Nyota.”

“It’s Uhura and I’ll take my…medicine like a man, which is more than I…can say for you.”

Stressed

Being a pilot was one thing; being on the hydroponics team while dead in space, waiting weeks for the nearest starship to rescue you can push a guy to his limits.

“I don’t know why the Captain deprioritized replicator repair,” Sulu barked at a small group of hungry crewman. “Perhaps life support is more important! I’d think you might like the taste of a fresh tomato over the blandness of reconstituted matter. Get back to your stations or I’ll call Commander Spock.”

The crewman turned tail and left the hydroponics which had not so lovingly been labeled ‘The Salad Bar’.

Frustrated

Pavel Chekov looked even younger than his sixteen years with a sweat soaked brow and a pained expression etched on his face. The boy’s fever had spiked after a recent away mission and Doctor McCoy had not yet been able to stabilize him. Conventional methods were proving useless.

The doctor’s consternation was only exacerbated by the ensign’s repeated requests for his Mama. As much has he wanted to comfort the boy, his frustration won out.

As he retreated to his office to review his patient’s test results, McCoy kicked the blanket which lay crumpled on the deck below Chekov’s bed.
    Mira_Jade likes this.
  5. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    And I love writing these. :D I am just so glad to see your muse sparked once more. [face_dancing]

Healthy: My favourite of the set. You have the bromance banter down pat. But, I believe that is one of your strongpoints. :)
    Injured: An EXCELLENT character study here. I can only imagine that inner debate as a physician - but I am glad Kirk is there to hold McCoy to what he needs to do, just like he's there for Kirk. [face_love]
    Sick: [face_laugh] I loved this! You have their banter down pat. Kirk is such a child here. :p
    Stressed: I can only imagine the tensions running high in a situation like that. :(
    Frustrated: Another great character glimpse. =D=

Well done, as usual. [:D]
  6. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Injured and Sick are my favorites :D Injured for Bones' touching determination to help others, and Sick was just plain fun :D
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl