main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] On the Brink. One-shot, bromancy. A personal fic-challenge! :D

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: On The Brink

Author: Jade eyes

Genre: Introspection

Disclaimer: Borrowing with love.

Author Note: Mira_Jade gave me this fic-challenge, with her fine self.

[face_love] !!!!!!!

The scene where Spock Prime is doing the mind meld with Kirk. Kirk's feelings and thoughts as the emotions and memories are still lingering in his own mind.

~~~!!!!!!~~~!!
    Then...

A vortex of images and memories... familiar scenes, slightly off-center, changed in a detail here and there for events Jim had already experienced...

Those of the future -- the things he saw himself doing and saying felt like him.

Friendships, enmities, loves ... these all were on vivid display.

undergirding it all was a mind as lyrical as the Bard's and as brilliant as Einstein's or Mozart's.

"Shall I have this? Do I deserve to?"

.... have the adventure and the loyalty of so many brave, wonderful souls?

The resounding answer in the thoughts that merged with his was "Yes."

Jim felt he was on the brink of something ... fabulous.

Now

Jim and Spock talk over a mission to transport refugees in a disputed war zone to a new home where they would find peace and rebuild their scattered and tattered present into a hopeful, gentler future.

As they discuss the pros and cons of various modes of action, the Captain reflects how glad he wasn't present for the actual diplomatic talks, which had been fraught with self-interest and circular inanities, until the deadlock had been broken.

"If I'd been there," the Captain observes, "I'd have knocked the heads of the debating parties together or locked them in a room together until they either killed each other or came to some sort of agreement."

Spock noticed the Captain's sardonic smirk, and laughter danced in his dark eyes.

"You are quite a ... rogue, as the old expression is, or a maverick."

Jim grinned. "I like that description! Hmmm, now I understand why Audrey calls me a 'nerf herder.'"

The atmosphere between them is relaxed and easy-going.

Little (if at all) would Jim have imagined this warm, deep friendship could be theirs.

He valued it above all other relationships, save the one he had with Audrey Pearce, and with the irascible McCoy.

Their relationship had had a very bumpy turbulent start, but they had "hung on" and forged a brotherly tie.

++++

Loved that to bits! :cool:

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    "Nerf herder" for the win! [face_dancing]

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    =D=

Great look into a great friendship.

[:D]

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh wow! You are fast! That was likt . . . four, five hours after I issued the challenge? :eek:=D=

And so breathtaking for this! The first part was like a deep, deep breath - the kind that catches in your throat, and you have to let go of slowly, if that made any sense. I loved seeing Jim's awe, and his glimpses of the future - the other future.

And then the nerf-herder line was classic. :p

But this:

Their relationship had had a very bumpy turbulent start, but they had "hung on" and forged a brotherly tie.

This is the backbone of Star Trek, methinks, and it brought such a smile to my face here.

Thank-you, for such a lovely piece. [:D]

. . . now, to go get mine done. [face_laugh]8-}

~MJ @};-

5. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    This was wonderful. We only saw what Spock's version of his future was, but we didn't see his memories. It had to be difficult for Jim to understand what could be and what would be.

You captured that bromance perfectly!

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Love it!! Bromance FTW :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.