main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] Pain in the Neck -- bromance challenge

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: Pain in the Neck
    Characters: Kirk, Bones, Spock
    Summary: Dealing with friends can sometimes be a pain in the neck - literally.
    Notes: Written for the Star Trek thread bromance challenge :D And this is my first attempt at ST fanfic 8-}

Pain in the Neck

Kirk stared at the needle in dismay. ?No way.?

Bones just smirked at him, and Kirk let out a long-suffering sigh. ?I hate you,? he muttered. ?You and your love of sticking me with those damn things.?

?It?s necessary,? his friend replied in a not-quite-snap.

?I concur,? said the man sitting one bed over.

Kirk turned his head and sent a glare toward his first officer. ?He has to stick you with that vaccine too,? he pointed out. ?Why are you so calm??

?I see no need to overreact,? Spock replied in his usual even tone. ?The vaccine is required before we can set foot on planet.?

?But why??

?It will only take one minute ? assuming, of course, you stop putting up unnecessary complaints and let the doctor do his job.?

?But??

?As it is, we have already spent 7.6 minutes in this room, 6.8 of which you have spent delaying the process. We could have been done by now.?

Kirk gave Spock the iciest look he could compose, but the first officer just ignored it.

Bones chuckled, which made Kirk turn the glare on him. Bones ignored it just as easily, though more out of habit than the strict composure the Vulcan was displaying.

?Maybe I should stick you first,? Bones suggested. ?No reason for you to sit here wasting your time.?

?That would be preferable.?

Kirk groaned silently, knowing that the other men would ignore any audible complaint he made.

It wasn?t that he was against vaccines, really. In fact, he knew that it was better to take the shot than get sick with whatever disease Bones had said was running rampant planetside. But his best friend took a particular joy in sticking him with the stupid things, and he almost always seemed to get some sort of allergic reaction to whatever was in it.

It didn?t help his ire that Spock quietly took the needle, waited for a minute so any dizziness could clear up, nodded respectfully to Bones, and left.

Bones couldn?t hold in a laugh. ?If he wasn?t such a cold-blooded bastard, I think he would have been smirking at you on the way out,? the doctor commented.

?Haha.? Kirk rolled his eyes.

?But you know, I like him.? Kirk continued to glare. ?C?mon, Jim, take it like a man.?

?You know,? Kirk replied, trying to slide off the bed, ?I think I?ll take my chances with . . . whatever it is.?

?The Ithian flu. And, I don?t think so.?

Kirk squared his shoulders. ?You know, I?m your captain??

?And under Starfleet regulations, you have to comply with all vaccination and other health requirements or I, the chief medical officer, have the ability to disallow you to leave the ship.?

Kirk eyed the older man. Bones was smirking and jauntily waving the vaccine, but behind the humor, Kirk knew, lay utter seriousness. Bones could ? and would ? stop him from leaving the ship if he didn?t get the vaccine.

Kirk stuck his arm out, imitating Spock?s earlier stance. Bones used the moment of theatrics to step closer, shove the vaccine up against his neck, and inject it.

?Ooooowwww!? Kirk howled, clutching his neck as ones retreated. ?Why do you always have to do it there??

?Works quicker.?

Kirk stared at him suspiciously. ?You gave it to Spock in his arm.?

?Good behavior is rewarded.?

Kirk groaned. ?I?ll get your for this.?

Bones just waved him out of the office.

As Kirk shut the door behind him, he thought he heard his friend start to laugh.

He just rubbed his neck and made a mental note to pick up a little gift for ones before he left the planet.

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Very funny. After his experience first getting onto the Enterprise, it's no wonder why he would hate getting shots. Poor Captain Kirt was dramatized by Bones.

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    You did amazingly great with this. Really! =D= You have Kirk, Bones, and Spock at their best! [:D]

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I am so glad that you decided to give this challenge a go! You're good at writing Trek. :) [face_love]

This was spot on - the banter was fun, your character voices were perfect, and it was just plain enjoyable to read. I loved Kirk being a sullen two year old, and Spock's calm 'teaseing', and McCoy still sticking him in the neck . . . [face_laugh]

Oh yeah, that'll be one I revisit again. ;)

[face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Good to see you writing, Nat! :D

All three characters were perfect! You've really got their voices down great. And no wonder Kirk has a fear of needles, considering what Bones did to him while trying to get him on to the Enterprise in the first place. :p

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm glad you took the step to write and post this, Nat. I enjoyed the back and forth as well as Spock's 'sarcasm'.

?Ooooowwww!? Kirk howled, clutching his neck as ones retreated. ?Why do you always have to do it there??

?Works quicker.?

Kirk stared at him suspiciously. ?You gave it to Spock in his arm.?

?Good behavior is rewarded.?

I like this especially. Kirk can be such a baby. It's good than he has Bones, and Spock, too, to keep him grounded(so to speak).

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    And you doubted yourself? You had them spot on!!! I always love Kirk being a baby when it comes to hypos... and Bones rewarding good behavior.

Ha! Serves Kirk right!

I loved it! I think our next step should be like a collaborative...or something!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.