main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] Serenity (Winona Kirk vignette)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by laurethiel1138, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Because in-between the madness that is academia, I still managed to write something...
    Mira_Jade, I think there must be something in the air, because I've come up with the same theme... but with different results, of course.

[b]Serenity[/b]

A [b]Star Trek: 2009[/b] vignette

[b]Character[/b]: Winona Kirk

[b]Disclaimer[/b]: Not mine (not even Kirk, dammit!)

[hr]
    Commander Winona Kirk all but ran as she breezed through the corridors of Starfleet Academy, on her way to her son's commencement ceremony. Her ship, the [i]USS Firebird[/i], had been stationed in the Laurentian sector when the unfathomable had happened, when Vulcan had been wiped from the starcharts by the same heartless megalomaniac who had robbed her of her best years.

Not having been informed of the academic suspension her son had gotten himself tangled into, she had waited, seriously considering biting her nails, for any update on the unfolding events, for the official communiqué telling her the most horrid news, that her son was... unthinkable, even now.

She still remembered, with crystal-clear resonance, that fateful day when she had both lost and gained all hope. Lost all, when George had been torn form her side by critical system malfunction and sheer dedication to duty. Gained all, when the small spark of life she had harboured beneath her heart came to the world, demanding attention. According to his father's dying wish [i]and[/i] in homage to his grandfather, he had been named James Tiberius Kirk. She should have known, even then, that he would grow up to be a stubborn, willful, precociously bright little boy.

She had not always treated him right, especially when, half-broken by unmourned grief, she had sought impossible solace in Frank's arms, and left her children behind while going on long off-world missions for Starfleet's Agroscience Laboratories. When she had been apprised of Jim's reckless sacrifice of George's cherished antique car, and of Sam's fugue, she had begged for extended leave to sort everything out. After a long and messy divorce, she had reclaimed the name of Winona Kirk, the only one worth keeping, and vowed to be a more attentive mother. She had taken them on some of her missions, with more or less success. Try as she might, Jim would always be the daredevil with an angel's face, and Sam the reserved, almost sombre old soul.

She hadn't done so bad, she surmised. And better than most, though she had at times feared for Jim's future. Until Captain Pike had stepped in and corralled her son into joining Starfleet. She often wondered what had been on the menu of [i]that[/i] conversation, but she had better sense than to ask. Perhaps sometime in the future, when they were not cramming precious minutes in-between assignments...

Winona Kirk arrived, almost breathless, at the doors of the Academy's Grand Hall. She pushed the doors open, just in time to catch her son's name echoing through the chambers. [i]Captain James Tiberius Kirk[/i]... Oh, George, you'd be so proud, she thought, as her son received his command from a recently promoted Admiral Pike. Something bloomed in her chest, like a sun going nova, while a strange sense of calm shot through her soul.

As her son swept his sparkling azure gaze through the crowds, suddenly homing in on her face, eyes widening in surprise, she felt a big, open smile spread over her features. In the few eternal moments when mother and son wordlessly communicated, she finally put a name on what she was feeling.

It was serenity.

And seeing her son, down below, being congratulated by his friends and comrades, she could not help but feel a bit of pride, as well. Jim's adventures had only begun...

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh Laure, that was very very sweet and true to character.

=D=

=D=

:D

Your Winona has the warmth and the honesty I see in the SW fandom, moms like Beru and Leia. @};-

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aww!! I am officially in love with whatever is in the air if it spit's out things like this!! [face_love]

I love your Winona here - she may not have been the best mom, but she certainly has been trying. It must have been amazing for her to see some of that pay off with Jim taking the mantel of Captain. Her emotion here - pride, joy - was tangible, and very well written. =D=

Thanks for sharing with us, it sure was a treat! [:D]

~MJ @};-

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Well done, laurethiel1138. I really enjoyed this look through Winona's eyes. The excitement and relection is style is engaging and flows well. Good work.

Something bloomed in her chest, like a sun going nova, while a strange sense of calm shot through her soul.

Loved that line. I was glad when she and Jim locked gazes. Nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.