main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek:2009] Sick as a Dog (Uhura, Kirk) humorous angst vig

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: Sick as a Dog
    Author: brodiew
    Characters: Uhura, Kirk
    Timeframe: Academy days
    Summary: Nyota reluctantly watches over a very sick Jim Kirk.

Author note: I can?t remember where I picked up this plot bunny, but it was one I could not resist. I love to write the banter, especially tinged with a little venom. ;-P
    Enjoy!

Sick as a Dog

?No!? Nyota Uhura declared, firmly.

?Pleeease!? Galia begged, earnestly. ?I?ve got a class in ten minutes across the commons.?

?Hello no!? Nyota repeated, folding her arms and narrowing her eyes at her buoyant roommate.

?All you have to do is check on him every half hour or so,? Galia said, giving Nyota puppy dog eyes. ?He?s so sick. He?ll be like watching a baby sleep.?

?No ?like? about it,? Nyota said sarcastically. ?He is a baby.?

?Easy-peasy, then, right?? Galia said expectantly. ?You?ll do it??

Before Nyota could offer a third and final rejection, Galia wrapped her in a tight hug and started jumping up and down. ?Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!?

?Gal-? Nyota started to protest before the hug was released and Galia headed toward the door.

Over her shoulder the Orion shouted: ?Remember! Every thirty minutes! I?ll be back in three hours!?

Nyota growled in frustration and plopped down on the couch, arms still folded. The last thing she wanted to do was play nursemaid to the insufferable Jim Kirk.

Nyota stood outside Kirk?s dorm room, debating whether or not to knock. In fact she wasn?t sure how she got from her room to this one. The only explanation was some subconscious loyalty factor; otherwise known as guilt. She hated letting a friend down; even one who steamrolled her into a task she wouldn?t wish on anyone, much less a friend.

Raising her hand to a tentative knock, she watched in surprise as the door swung open a lightning speed.

?-don?t care if you listen to me or not, Jim,? said Leonard McCoy. ?But, if you want to get better, I?d take your medicine.?

McCoy turned and almost ran Nyota over in his haste to exit the room. ?Damn! Er, Sorry, I mean,? he said, reaching out to her shoulder to keep her from falling. ?You ok??

Nyota shrugged his hands from her shoulders and straightened her uniform. ?Fine,? she replied, coldly.

?What are you doing here?? McCoy asked, surprised by her presence. When she didn?t answer immediately, he shrugged: ?Never mind. I gotta run, anyway.?

?I?m not sure what I?m doing here, Leo,? she replied, absently.

?I hope you figure it out,? McCoy said, turning back to the open door. ?You got company, Sad Sack!? Turning back to her, he blurted: ?Make him take his medicine.?

Nyota stared blankly at McCoy?s back as he raced down the hall.

?Galia?? emerged Kirk?s voice from within the room. He stretched the name out in a long, breathy line. It was enough to spark her entrance to the room if only to tell him how pathetic his theatrics were.

Her readiness to do battle with Kirk was blindsided when stepped inside. Kirk?s side of the room was a disaster area. A virtual mountain range of clothes stretched from the foot of his bed, around his desk and across the front of his closet. The room smelled like sweaty men. Unbelievable.

Kirk?s head protruded from two stacked comforters. He looked small covered by the fluffy blankets.

?Sorry,? she said evenly. ?No giggly green girlfriend, here.?

Kirk tried to sit up when he heard her voice. He tried a winning smile, but ended up giving her smarmy and creepy instead. ?Oh, Valerie, it?s?you.?

?Nope,? she replied. ?You should just stop trying. The fact that you continue to guess means you?re still interest in flirting with me. That ship sailed in Iowa more than a year ago. Deal with it. And, another thing, you?re dating my roommate. She?s also my friend. Your flirting should upset her, but knowing Galia, she?d probably ask me to join you.?

Kirk?s eyes popped, though lazily, at the possibility.

Nyota huffed. ?You are pathetic.?

?And you?never pass up and opportunity to kick a man?when he?s down,? K

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Kirk :( gotta feel for him! [face_laugh] Sad, but funny! And Uhura hehehe what a riot!

Great work! [:D] Thanks for sharing!

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] This rocks!! Love Uhura giving Kirk a hard time :D

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Nyota's a blast in this and the setting /context fits perfectly :D I love the oops and the banter and the snark!!!

Gaila doesn't know what a great big favor she's asking LOL She owes Nyota big time [face_laugh] See, even McCoy didn't wanna deal with it. [face_laugh]

~~

I've read L&M "nursing" the other when sick but this is funnier [face_laugh] Sans the romantic tension of course.

When Christine comes along, she can deal with his moods [face_laugh]

[face_mischief]

[:D]

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    OMG, I loved this!! [face_dancing]

I love banter as a rule, and I love Jim and Nyota banter especially! This was a fascinating time to see them in - Academy days. He's still growing into himself, and she still hates his slimy guts and they're hilarious together for it.

I adored Gaila's pushiness, and I adored seeing Jim under the weather (evil cackle) and I loved the touch with McCoy making the tea foul. Oh yes, that would sooooo be him. :p And I think that I enjoyed Kirk's suffering as much as Nyota did!! [face_devil]

Really, you did a fantastic job with this!! =D=

~MJ @};-

6. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    they both are too funny

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] Kirk, you're such a baby... :p

This is hilarious, brodie! :D