main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] The Final Frontier (50 Sentences Challenge - May) Set IV -- 5/26

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: The Final Frontier
    Fandom: Star Trek 2009
    Timeframe: Throughout the movie
    Characters: Kirk, Spock, Bones, Nyota, Pike, Sulu, Chekov, Scotty, etc.
    Summary: Sometimes one sentence says it all.
    Notes: Written for the May Fifty Sentence Challenge.

bring me that horizon

01. Treasure

Nyota hadn?t expected to find anything in the class except some good techniques; what she found was the very handsome Vulcan professor . . .

02. Pirate

George Kirk?s first thought was that Nero and his men might be pirates; he was quickly proved wrong.

03. Sail

Sailing through the skies was NOT Bones?s idea of a good time.

04. Wake

Bones woke from a brief rest to the sound of blaring klaxons, and he knew that something was wrong.

05. Flagship

The U.S.S. Enterprise was the Federation?s pride a joy, and James T. Kirk was her captain.

06. Waves

Bones cautioned Kirk about making waves with High Command, but the young captain was determined to stand up for his actions and his crew.

07. Crest

Kirk didn?t wear a captain?s uniform or emblem, but he was giving orders like he was; when Sulu said that Pike had put Kirk in charge, Bones groaned.

08. Medallion

Kirk fingered his father?s medallion, awarded after his death, before he tucked it back into its drawer and headed for the bridge.

09. Captain

?That?s Captain Farmboy to you, cupcake,? Kirk said with a grin, and Bones geared up to grab his friend from trouble?again.

10. Sand

Kirk grew up on a farm in Iowa; he didn?t mind sand, but he really didn?t like being stranded on an iceball?especially one with vicious, man-eating monsters.

11. Tides

Delta Vega was close enough to Vulcan for the two to pull on each other, but since both were wastelands, Kirk doubted that the frozen, inhospitable Delta Vega would be harmed much by Vulcan?s demise.

12. Shore

Kirk sent a brief ship-to-shore communication to let his mother know that he was okay, thenh he let Bones stick him in the medbay and jab him with all sorts of instruments.

13. Anchor

Spock had a hard time admitting it, but after his mother?s death, Nyota?s presence had helped him balance his emotions and get through the fight.

14. Colours

Kirk felt pride as he put on captain?s colors for the first time, and he knew his father would have been proud, too.

15. Footwork

Sulu had to do some fancy footwork to keep his balance as he and Kirk fought the Romulans.

16. Locket

Sarek was not a sentimental man, but, completely by accident, he found Amanda?s locket stored among some off-planet possessions, and he couldn?t bear to give it away.

18. Commandeer

Kirk didn?t quite commandeer the Enterprise, but he did force Spock to resign as captain on purpose.

19. Skeletal

After Vulcan, the Enterprise was left with a skeleton crew; they had enough people to get by, but everyone was going to be short on sleep.

20. Grudge

Nero had a grudge against Spock, and he would do his utmost to see the ambassador?s world torn apart.

21. Depths

Bones had to go to the depths of his patience sometimes to put up with Kirk?s antics; there were times he was grateful for Spock, who didn?t enjoy the captain?s crazy ideas any more than the doctor did.

22. Hoist

The Romulan hoisted the gun in victory, failing to see the man approaching behind him.

23. Pardon

Spock asked Nero for forgiveness, but the Romulan was too enraged by grief.

24. Chest

The chest contained a few precious mementos?photos of her sister, a necklace from her parents . . . and little trinkets from Spock.

25. Offspring

Pike stared at George Kirk?s son, and d

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great set of sentences, and I really like the last one very much; "Bring me that horizon" matches Kirk perfectly.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Nat! :* Happy wriggles! Your characterizations are superb!

Your S/U is especially nummy to me. :D

If you're keeping a PM list, please put me at the top.

Hugs!!!!!!

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, let me give a giant SQUEE to see you tackling Star Trek sentences. [face_dancing] Something tells me that these just may be the highlight of my month. :D

Secondly, these prompts perfectly fit Kirk and his crew. Bring me that horizon, indeed. [face_love]

Treasure: A dragon's horde of treasure, indeed. [face_batting] :p

Tides: A very interesting observation to make. I wouldn't have thought about that before. [face_thinking]

Anchor: [face_love]!! And this is the epitome of what I adore about them. [face_love]

Locket: Stoic, understated heartfelt adoration at its best. [face_laugh] Oh, Sarek!! [:D]

Depths: And thus, the most unlikely of truces is struck. [face_laugh]

Chest: The you-box!!! [face_love] [face_dancing] It is beautiful to see those making an appearence. :)

Curse: Child. :p Both of them. [face_laugh]

Swashbuckler: Two sides to the same coin. [face_love]

Maelstrom: Oh . . . [:D]

Gusto: A great job showing characters outside of the fab four. =D= That was classic. :cool:

Compass: A powerful rocket of a sentence. =D=

Temptress: I bet he didn't. [face_batting] :p

Thrall: And the winner is - [face_dancing] [face_love]

Horizon: So perfectly perfect on every level! :D

=D=

~MJ @};-

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    RX_Sith: Thanks!! I?m glad you like that line :D It seems very Kirk0like to me, too D (Plus, it?s an awesome line and I really wanted to use it :p

Jade: [face_laugh] [:D] Thank you!! I?m glad one of the Star Trek Queens approves of my S/U :D (They make a great pair, don?t they? :D ) I will definitely put you on a PM list :)

Mira: [face_laugh] Aww, thanks!! That?s really sweet [:D] I?m glad the characters are believable!

I love the idea of Spock and Bones teaming up to deal with Kirk :p I like writing more unexplored characters (I still keep meaning to do that secondary characters challenge!). Especially with ST, because they all have so much to offer :D I cry every time I watch the beginning when George dies.

Glad you enjoyed!!

you're waiting for a train . . .

01. Dream

Nyota had ever dreamed that love could be like this.

02. Manipulation

Even though Kirk didn?t like Spock, he didn?t want to poke at the man?s heart wounds; but he had no choice, and it hurt them both (albeit in different ways).

03. Interpretation

No one who was unfamiliar with the events of the Kelvin?s destruction would know what those signs meant; but Kirk had known every detail for as long as he could remember, and he knew that Pike of all people would believe him.

04. Perceptions

It took years for Nyota to stop thinking of Kirk as anything but a foolish, reckless playboy; but after he saved Earth, she knew that she wouldn?t want to serve under anyone else.

05. Radical

This plan caused for taking desperate measures, but Kirk knew that they had to do everything possible to stop Nero from destroying Earth as he?d destroyed Vulcan?and if at all possible, he would go after Pike, as he had promised.

06. Procure

Kirk didn?t know where Bones was getting all these medicines from, but if the doctor didn?t stop jamming those damn needles into his neck, there would be hell to pay.

07. Tactile

Kirk?s first impression of Delta Vega was that it was cold and abandoned; when he hit the air, he knew his first thought had been right, but as he ran across the ice, prey, he knew that his second had not been.

08. Business

Pike didn?t know why he cared so much about young Jim Kirk?s career, but he had convinced the boy to sign up with Starfleet, and all through Kirk?s Academy years, the captain quietly watched over him.

09. Espionage

?It?s not spying, we?re just going through her stuff to see if she likes me.?

10. Foray

Spock?s first foray into Kirk?s rooms showed him that the captain was incredibly messy; and even though he admired Kirk, his first thought was, It?s going to be a long five years.

11. Projection

The Romulan?s face filled the screen, and Pike felt a shiver of fear; he wondered if the captain of the Kelvin had felt anything similar.

12. Fathom

Kirk didn?t understand how Uhura could have fallen for a cold hobgoblin, but that was okay; there were plenty of other girls (and Uhura scared him a little).

13. Slumber

Kirk?s dreams were interrupted by a pounding on the door, and he thought, What now?

14. Unconscious

Spock took no pleasure in knocking the mutineer out cold; he just felt the satisfaction of removing the threat.

15. Illusion

The phantom touch and soothing voice were just dreamscape illusions; when Spock woke, troubled, he remembered her face, and it both relieved him that he still remembered and troubled him that he would never be held by his mother again.

16. Kick

Kirk didn?t want to kick a man when he was down?not even Spock (well, not really)?but if Spock?the other Spock?hells, he?d been told to take command, and he would.

17. Tepid

Nyota got no reaction to her kisses except a request to return to duty; but that was how Spock was dealing, so she nodded her head and did her job, grieving for him from afar.

[

6. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Another amazing set of sentences! =D=

I really like #3, Interpretation

No one who was unfamiliar with the events of the Kelvin?s destruction would know what those signs meant; but Kirk had known every detail for as long as he could remember, and he knew that Pike of all people would believe him.

And, #45, Limbo

Kirk felt in a state of limbo?no longer a child, but not quite an adult . . . until the day he met Christopher Pike, who convinced him to take control of his own destiny.

And, #50, Awaken

Kirk sauntered through life in an uncaring daze, but as soon as he took control of his life, he suddenly awoke.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi:

I enjoyed these a lot! :D

High points:

01. Dream -- melty melt!

04. Perceptions -- haha! So true!

12. Fathom -- lot you know, boyo. LOL ;) [face_love] =P~

15. Illusion - :_|

17. Tepid -- [face_thinking] this seems IC, the time for comforting comes after the shift.

19 & 20 and 49 -- :( =D=

21. Behold -- [face_laugh]

29. -- :* [face_dancing]

36. -- Very insightful. :)

39. -- SQUEE! [face_love]

[:D]

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, I am here. :D

Tactile: So. Very. BRILLIANT> [face_laugh]

Espionage: Because that makes it so much better. :p

Foray: This was perfect - too often we jump right from a sorta-truce to best buds with these two, and this was the perfect kind of 'bridge' moment. [face_laugh]

Fathom: [face_laugh]!!!

Illusion: Oh, my heartstrings . . . :(

Guilt: Another powerful one. Oh . . . :(

Idea: Of the best kind. ;)

Evasive: Oh, to-mato tom-ato. :p

Facade: Balance. :cool:

Sensory: And there you have it, Mira is goo. :p [face_love]

Awaken: This was the best Kirk character insight I have seen in a while. Perfectly perfect in every way. =D=

~MJ @};-

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    RX: Thanks!! I?m glad you enjoyed them :)

Jade: I?m glad you liked them!! :D Especially the Nyota/Kirk sentences. The two of them crack me up; I can totally see them having a ribbing, brother/sister relationship :D

Mira: [face_laugh] Thanks!! I really like writing (and reading) humor, so I?m glad I made you laugh :D I wasn?t sure about Awaken, so I?m really glad you like it!!

through this melody of mine

01. Melody

A haunting melody drifted through Kirk?s dreams, accompanied by the last screams of the dead.

02. Serenade

Even though Kirk knew there was nothing he could have done to save the rest of the fleet at Vulcan, this serenade of death haunted his nightmares for weeks after Nero was destroyed.

03. Cadence

After the day that Spock opened up enough to confide that he, too, was haunted by nightmares of that terrible time was when Kirk stopped regularly dreaming about it.

04. Harmony

Internal balance restored, Jim Kirk set about keeping harmony on his ship?though, as Bones was quick to point out, the rest of the crew managed to function well; his crazy ideas were usually the problem.

05. Adagio

Nyota felt no need to rush anything; she loved Spock and he loved her, and that was enough . . . for now.

06. Crescendo

Spock?s irritation slowly increased, until, in a very un-Vulcan moment, he blurted out, ?Why can?t you just control yourself??

07. Allegro

Kirk just laughed and replied, ?Life is short; why not go fast??

08. Legado

Bones clapped Spock on the shoulder and added, ?He never does anything smoothly?except pick up women . . . well, he tries to be smooth.?

09. Sharp

Nyota loved running her fingers gently over Spock?s ears; some made fun of her for choosing a ?pointy-eared hobgoblin? for a lover, but she wouldn?t have chosen anyone else.

10. Flat

Kirk?s first attempt to woo Christine fell flat; Bones, predicting his friend?s interest, had already warned his nurse.

11. Bar

Kirk set the bar for his senior officers high; after working with Spock, Bones, Nyota, Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty to fight Nero, he wanted people with that high a caliber serving on his ship.

12. Tempo

The captain set the tone for the ship, and Kirk liked to go fast and wild; but he wasn?t a fool, and his first priority was the safety of his crew.

13. Range

The personalities on the bridge ranged from Kirk?s cheerfulness to Spock?s reserved demeanor to Nyota?s professional manner to Scotty?s . . . well, it was hard to define Scotty, but Kirk liked him, which warned Bones the man might be trouble; . . . then again, Kirk had chosen Bones, too, and the doctor had never actually regretted it.

14. Aria

Kirk pulled everything off; he was the lynchpin . . . but even he acknowledged that he couldn?t have done any of it without the help of his crew.

15. Diva

Kirk could be a diva, but he got the job done and got it done well, if in an unorthodox manner; it was for that reason that Spock decided to sign up to serve under him.

16. Vivace

?Aww, lighten up, Bones; I?m sure plenty of women here would be more than happy to go home with an acclaimed Starfleet doctor.?

17. Performance

Kirk ran the bridge like he was putting on a performance, theatrics included, but the crew got used to it quickly, and sometimes even played along.

18. Solo

Kirk only did one solo mission; after that, he learned to take backup with him at all times, usually in the form of Spock (the man was surprisingly deadly).

19. Duet

In the future, people would speak reverently of Kirk and Spock, the greatest duo in Starfleet, heroes; right now, they were fighting over the last cup of coffee like children.

20. Timbre

Nyota found that the doctor?s voice was surprisingly soothing as he put her under so she could recover from her injuries; the doctor was usually brusque, and

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    You did a great job of fitting these to make a great Star Trek read. :D Which is kind of a relief - because I was a little hesitant about posting such a slanted table. :p

Serenade: Survivor's guilt. :(

Crescendo: Kirk so had that one coming. [face_laugh] It was interesting to see Spock loose his cool . . . again. :p

Sharp: The ears have it. [face_love] That one was just lovely!

Legado: I love it when these two find common ground over Kirk - in more ways than one. :p

Range: A good point. [face_laugh]

Duet: Best. Mental. Image. Ever. [face_laugh]!!!

Timbre: Aww. [face_love] McCoy is a complete burnt marshmallow. :)

Rhythm: [face_laugh] Smart guys. (And those not so smart, too. :p)

Percussion: [face_laugh] Those lines will never get old!

Presto: Because his happy go lucky facade can only cover so much. =D= :(

Tone-Deaf: [face_laugh]!!!

Gown/Nocturne/Ostinato: [face_love] Those were off the ever loving fangirl charts! :D

Maestro: I LOVE the Scotty and Kirk bromance you had going on in these. :D

Overture/Entr'acte/Finale: A PERFECT way to end these. :D

Well done, as always! =D=

~MJ @};-

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautiful set.

Faves: 9, 21, 24, 40-42 LOL

SQQQQUUUUUUEUEEEEEEEEEE for good measure.

Nat, you're spoiling me!
    [face_love] [:D]

I so don't mind. [face_dancing]

[face_love]

~Jade

12. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Another amazing set of sentences. Whole-heartedly agree that there were numerous selections here that were all great together! =D=

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: Thanks!! Well, I did find that chart pretty helpful :p

Legalo: I love a good bromance :D
    Duet:[/I [face_laugh] I just love the two of them :D
    Timbre: McCoy?s secretly a sweetie :p
    Percussion: [face_laugh] I can?t get over how funny it always is :D
    Gown/Nocturne/Oscento: Glad you enjoyed reading the mush as much as I enjoyed writing it [face_love]
    Maestro: Every fandom needs more bromance :p
    Last Three: Thanks!! :D I?d planned on using them in the final set, but they just fit SO well here!

Glad you enjoyed [:D]

Jade: Thanks!! Well, you and your lovely writing were part of my inspiration [:D] I?m glad you like them so much!!!

RX: Thanks!! :D

strictly speaking

01. Settled

Things eventually settled into a routine on the Enterprise?not that anything could truly be called ?routine? with Kirk about, but there were spots of normalcy.

02. Seam

It took a long time for Spock?s emotional wounds from the death of his mother to start to heal, but Nyota?s love helped repair his heart.

03. Similar

Though Kirk and Spock seemed like polar opposites, there were times when Bones thought they were eerily similar.

04. Scrupulous

Spock was always scrupulous, in everything from carrying out orders to hanging his clothes, but Kirk eventually found?or created?the barest hint of a wild side in his friend.

05. Static

Nyota tried to search for survivors of Nero?s attack, but all she heard over the comm was static.

06. Skill

For all his bravado, restless energy, and wild side, Kirk was a very good captain?and after they saved Earth from Nero, Spock never doubted his abilities again.

07. Sheer

The dress was almost sheer, and, though Spock would never lower himself too ogling, he glanced at Nyota?s body more times than was strictly proper.

08. Simplicity

Nyota always enjoyed an evening at the ballet or a fine dinner with her beloved, but she equally treasured the evenings of ordered take-out and quiet cuddling.

09. Sinister

Pike had a bad feeling about Nero before he ever left the Enterprise, but he felt he had no other choice; he had to distract the rogue Romulan to give his crew time to save Vulcan.

10. Sorrel

Kirk ran his hands through her chestnut hair, marveling at the fact that she was his.

11. Satisfy

Some wondered why the gorgeous Uhura has chosen such a stiff, unemotional creature as Spock for her lover; Nyota just smiled, knowing that if they knew how many ways he satisfied her, they wuoldn?t wonder.

12. Sanguine

Nero actually craved the sight of blood?specifically, Spock?s blood?and he would take great pleasure in watching it flow.

13. Sashay

Nyota sashayed into the function looking like a goddess, and Kirk wasn?t sure whether to gulp in fascination of her beauty or laugh for the pleasure of seeing his friend.

14. Sepulcher

The space where Vulcan used to be remained undisturbed, a cold, forever-dark tomb for those who had been lost.

15. Semblance

Before Kirk could recover any semblance of speech, Bones dragged him away for the women, laughing.

16. Secure

Bones felt secure in the knowledge that, however crazy and wild his best friend might be, Kirk the captain would never let them down.

17. Sample

Kirk had sampled love from dozens of women, but he never realized what he was looking for until he found her.

18. Sennet

As soon as the emergency signal came across the comm, the Enterprise went into action.

19. Spoil

As an apology that duty had spoiled their planned romantic evening, Spock presented her with flowers, which she treasured for as long as she could; she even dried and pressed one so that she could save the memory of the gorgeous petals for years to come.

20. Sequence

Sulu punched in the seq

14. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Really like this set including:

01. Settled

Things eventually settled into a routine on the Enterprise?not that anything could truly be called ?routine? with Kirk about, but there were spots of normalcy.

02. Seam

It took a long time for Spock?s emotional wounds from the death of his mother to start to heal, but Nyota?s love helped repair his heart.

07. Sheer

The dress was almost sheer, and, though Spock would never lower himself too ogling, he glanced at Nyota?s body more times than was strictly proper.

14. Sepulcher

The space where Vulcan used to be remained undisturbed, a cold, forever-dark tomb for those who had been lost.

22. Survivor

Spock was a survivor, one of the few, but his destiny lay not with his people but among the stars.

23. Sobriquet

Nyota had been called many names, but her favorite was ahal-vel, whispered on the lips of her beloved.

28. Succumb

It wasn?t hard to succumb to Spock?s innate charm; in fact, it was far harder to hold herself back.

49. Silhouette

Nyota saw the soft rise and fall of his chest, visible even in the darkness, as she slipped into bed after a late shift.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nat -- :* :* :* !!!!!!!!

I feel like You've just written me a fic gift.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

thank you so much!

Huggles!!!!

SQUGGLES!

16. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Great job on all these Nat. I can't pick my favorite but you got everyone and everything down pat! I love it!

Can't wait to see more Star Trek from you!

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I am going to miss these from you. :D

And this set especially was a blast to read - oh, but be still my every loving fangirl heart!! You spoiled the Spock/Nyota shipper within me, I tell you.

Spoiled. As in completely. [face_love]

Saccarine and Sickening were great ways to play off of each other - but Spoil and Sear were my favorites. For completely sentimental reasons. :p

Well done! =D=

~MJ @};-

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Jade: [face_laugh] [:D] I?m glad you like it!! :*

MJ: Thanks!! I had a lot of fun, so maybe I?ll venture back into the ST-verse soon :D

Mira: [:D] I?ll write more!! Maybe not 50 Sentences, but I have a couple ST ideas I?m thinking and writing :D I?m glad you liked it so much!! [:D] Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.