main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek:2009] Treadmill Blues (Kirk, Bones) unofficial 'bromance' challenge. Updated 8/17/10!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: this short story is in response to the discussion of a challenge in the NSWFF Star Trek thread. We were discussing the prevalence of 'bromance' in other mediums and thought it might make an interesting challenge. So, let the games begin.

Treadmill Blues

Prologue

Final Notice before Official Communiqué to Starfleet Command

To: Captain James T. Kirk

Captain:

It has been almost a year since you took command of the Enterprise. In that time, we have had countless encounters with new species; both on the ground and aboard ship. During some of the those encounters; many, in fact, you have been beaten, drugged, possessed, tortured, bound, gagged, had broken bones, ruptured organs, skin maladies, time displacement, transporter malfunctions, and the list goes on. Oh yes, let?s not forget the retinue of venereal diseases you have managed to contract.

In my two previous contacts, I have laid out how some of these incidents have had lasting effects on you, both physically and emotionally. I have asked that you report to sickbay, quarterly, for an examination and check up. My pleas have fallen on deaf ears (a side effect mentioned in my previous messages). If you are not willing, or are unable to comply with my OFFICIAL request, I will be forced -- with no small amount of giddy school boy pleasure -- to relieve you of duty, as is my sworn obligation.

There is no reason (given that reason is something you still currently possess) that you should not come directly to sickbay for the aforementioned exam. If this FINAL NOTICE is not met with your personal appearance in my office within 24 hours, I will have Lt. Uhura send my assessment to Starfleet Command. And, don?t think I won?t include Admiral Pike.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Leonard McCoy

Jim Kirk leaned back from the monitor and blew out a long whistle. Bones was beyond pissed. This notice was down right belligerent. Kirk had a thought to reply, letting the doctor know he could go right ahead and contact Starfleet. By some insane cosmic irony, they might just question his competency for not being able to control his commanding officer. Nah. But it was a nice fantasy.

Propping his feet up on his ready room desk, Kirk made popping noises by flicking his inflated cheek with an index finger. What was he going to do? He hated sickbay more than any other place on the ship. Granted, he seemed to visit the antiseptic cave only slightly less often than the bridge, his quarters, and the rec room, but he still hated it. Bones was supposed to be his friend. If the good doctor could solve the problems and heal the injuries as they presented, what was the point of regular checkups or fitness exams? They were a waste of time and would only serve to confirm what he already knew: he was in perfect health.

In fact, what the Kirk could really use was a day off; not more strenuous activity. Plus, he had and allergic reaction to the adhesive used on the electrodes Bones applied during the last exam. ?No problem,? he had said. ?I have a hypo for that.? Kirk was aware that Bones donned a devilish grin every time he gave Kirk a hypo. He enjoyed it way too much. But, none the less, he may have to comply with his friend?s request. Though he had made contact with many new species and solved more than a few intergalactic disputes, he was still a rookie Captain, and no more than a child in the eyes of some at Starfleet Command. So, in the interest of diplomacy, he would go see Bones and get the damned thing over with.

Not fifteen minutes later, Kirk unceremoniously entered sickbay. With no shortage of command swagger, he plopped down in the chair opposite his CFO?s desk.

?Here I am, Bones,? he declared. ?Do your worst.?

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great job. You've captured to me the original Kirk and McCoy perfectly (even though you say this is the 2009 version it still rings TOS version).

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, my sides are already starting to hurt. [face_laugh]

Really, you right a good McCoy/Kirk, I have to tell you. They were often my favorite part of your drabbles, and so it is a treat to see them expanded on in a short story here. (short story, as in more than one chapter, as in Mira's one happy fangirl. [face_laugh])

For this - oh, this is going to be stunning. Kirk? Beaten and 'deaf ears' needing physical check-ups - yep, I can see that happening. And this is going to lead to an exercise routine? Perfect. (For some reason, William Shatner always found a reason to be without his shirt in every other episode, and as the seasons progressed, he got more and more 'un-regulations' fit. ;) Good to see this Jim protecting against that. *giggle* :p)

Your characterizations were spot on, as well - little things, like Jim popping the air in his cheek, and McCoy's glee with the hypos - those are the truly enjoyable lines that make a story fun to read.

Oh, I can't wait to see this one continued. [face_dancing]

PMs, please? I am the worst at following stories, so those always help. :D

[:D]

~MJ @};-

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay!! I love it :D Bones cracks me up, and I love how Kirk refuses to report :D

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    RX_Sith: I appreciate the review, RX. I can see what you mean, but either way, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Mira_Jade:Thanks so much, Mira. I'm glad you enjoyed. I knew you liked the Kirk/Bones banter. Happy to oblige. Thank you also for your invaluable assistance on chapter 2. I appreciate your beta skills.

NYCitygurl: I'm so glad you're on board, Nat. Here's more!

Treadmill Blues

Chapter 2

Leonard McCoy looked up from his monitor as if viewing a curious specimen. His eyebrows knitted, only slightly, and he tilted his head to the left.

?Well, if it isn?t Captain Kirk,? McCoy said with a muted sarcasm. ?What can I do for you??

Kirk shifted in the chair, a little less sure that Bones had summoned him to this very office less than a half hour ago. He decided to reassert control.

?The question, Doctor, is,? Kirk replied, confidently. ?What can I do for you? I can get the pesky Starfleet Medical off your back. I can give the physical exam you?ve been begging for for months. I can help you put a big check mark next to my name on your ?things to do list?.?

McCoy leveled an incredulous stare of dead eyes mixed with parted lips; the start of gape. He couldn?t believe what he was hearing. His friend was brimming over with pomposity, never actually looking at the doctor, but gazing up and to the right over his left shoulder.

?Are you high?? McCoy barked. ?What the hell?s gotten into you; coming in and talking about what you can do for me? You think I?m waiting in here like some fresh academy graduate just waiting for an opportunity to see the Captain with his shirt off??

It was Kirk?s turn to gape speechlessly. ?Uh??

?Okay,? McCoy said, spinning his monitor to face Kirk and pointing to the left of the display. ?Here?s my ?to do list?. In the left hand column is you. How many items do you see??

After leaning forward to observe the list, he looked up at McCoy and said: ?Eight.?

?That?s right,? his friend said, mild irritation overcoming his affected calm. ?How many are in the other column? Don?t answer. Eleven. That?s for today, for the rest of the crew. Kind of uneven, don?t you think??

Kirk decided to keep quiet even though he was mulling over a myriad possible retorts.

?Jim!? McCoy exclaimed, angrily. ?Are you listening to what I?m saying??

Kirk shifted his gaze to finally meet Bones? eyes. Clowning time was over. It should never have started. Sometimes he liked to play with Bones; tease him a little, but he should have known better than to make light of his friend?s professional obligations. Regardless of how he felt about being poked and prodded and pinched, he would need to endure if he wanted back into the doctor?s good graces.

?I?m sorry, Bones,? Kirk said with genuinely apologetic grace. ?I?m not trying to make your life hard. You know I hate this stuff. I only come in here when absolutely necessary.?

?Which, for one reason or another, is after every away mission,? McCoy replied, letting some long repressed exasperation bubble to the surface. ?Do you enjoy getting hurt, sick, and hung over??

?Wouldn?t being hung over constitute sickness?? Kirk couldn?t help adding.

McCoy practically sneered at the kid?s brazen disrespect for his office. ?Dammit Jim! This is serious business. I can?t have the Captain of this ship throwing himself headlong into dangerous situations. First of all, I don?t need a dead captain on my resume. Secondly, when you create trouble, or even confront trouble that finds you, you?re putting other crewmen in danger. Now, I know the duties of a captain, and I respect your rank, but, Jim, you need to settle down. ?

Kirk?s face turned dark. Conflicting emotions wrestled inside him. Bones was attacking his command and accusing him of endangering his crew. He was saying that the captain put his personal agenda ahead of the safety of the people in his charge. It made him angry. But (it was the kind of but that made difference), he also knew that Bones was worried about him. Though the do

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This, for me, was a very powerful, very poignant piece of writing here. What started as a fluffy look at Jim's . . . Jim-ness turned into a deeper, more heartfelt character study, and I for one greatly appreciated and enjoyed that turn. (Although, always feel free to hit us with the straight crack - a balanced diet is a good one. ;))

Here, McCoy had something to say, which Jim didn't want to hear, and he said it. Jim needed to hear it really - and no one, not Pike and certainly not Spock, at this point, could have said it in the blunt - I care for you but I will chew you up and spit you out for your own good - kinda way. McCoy was very mature here, and I thought, very patient with a part of Kirk that did need adjusting. This is a big push towards making the Kirk that *was* and the Kirk that *is* merge. =D=

And now after that tangent, my more particular thoughts: ;)

(And I apologize in advance for the wordy review ? you gave me much to comment on, and chew on for my own characterizations of the characters. :))

He decided to reassert control.

This was classic rebootKirk. He is quick and sharp witted and sarcastic, but it masks uncertainty and more messed-up-ness than I think he realizes at times. :(

?The question, Doctor, is,? Kirk replied, confidently. ?What can I do for you? I can get the pesky Starfleet Medical off your back. I can give the physical exam you?ve been begging for for months. I can help you put a big check mark next to my name on your ?things to do list?.?

And then he's a trip even when he's being a sarcastic butt. :rolleyes:

(And I loved the 'captain without a shirt off line.' McCoy's sarcasrm was perfectly biting, and perfectly in character. =D=)

?How many are in the other column? Don?t answer. Eleven. That?s for today, for the rest of the crew. Kind of uneven, don?t you think??

I cracked up upon reading that the first time, and then I sniggered just now reading it. Yep, Jim's a pill, and McCoy's annoyed, and it's perfect reading. ;)

?I?m sorry, Bones,? Kirk said with genuinely apologetic grace. ?I?m not trying to make your life hard. You know I hate this stuff. I only come in here when absolutely necessary.?

And this was why this whole conversation was perfect ? McCoy sees a problem (that more than one person sees), McCoy worries and cares, and when he says it firmly, Kirk has enough respect to listen. Not the 'why are you talking to me, man?' he gave Pike ? and certainly not the train wreck of a conversation that this would be with anyone else on the senior crew. :(

?Which, for one reason or another, is after every away mission,? McCoy replied, letting some long repressed exasperation bubble to the surface. ?Do you enjoy getting hurt, sick, and hung over??

?Wouldn?t being hung over constitute sickness?? Kirk couldn?t help adding.

Once again, the sarcasm fights the uncomfortable direction of the situation. :rolleyes:

McCoy practically sneered at the kid?s brazen disrespect for his office. ?Dammit Jim! This is serious business. I can?t have the Captain of this ship throwing himself headlong into dangerous situations. First of all, I don?t need a dead captain on my resume. Secondly, when you create trouble, or even confront trouble that finds you, you?re putting other crewmen in danger. Now, I know the duties of a captain, and I respect your rank, but, Jim, you need to settle down. ?

Well said on McCoy's part ? he respects Jim, he respects his rank, and he understands that you have to do what you have to do: but settle down. Don't pull more on yourself than you already are going to have to deal with. =D=

Kirk?s face turned dark. Conflicting emotions wrestled inside him. Bones was attacking his command and accusing him of endangering his crew. He was saying that the captain put his personal agenda ahead of the safety of the people in his charge. It made him angry. But (it was the kind of but that made difference

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, GREAT contrast between Jim being funny and the serious moments. Great continuation!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.