main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He's an alright director, although I think his collaborations with Pegg and Frost tend to be overrated. Hot Fuzz was the only one that didn't make me think "This is supposed to be a comedy?" by the end.

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I ain't going to lie, he probably is my favorite director. These days anyways. I've adored The Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World is the second best comic book superhero movie ever made, but I'd still take Joe over Edgar.

ShaneP likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Go go Edgar Wright! He got bounced from Ant-Man but I wanna see him tackle a mainstream geek property considering the oddles of mainstream geek property that layers his work (especially SPACED). Also the end of "World's End" is representative of a chunk of how TOS episodes ended. Which I loved. Glowing talking light and everything.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    (edit window closed)

Orci frequently posts on the Trekmovie site (it really is him) he says "no time travel was ever considered, fyi"

6. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014

i'm getting a whiff of terrible nerd stuff. i'll retract my question and count my lucky stars!

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not totally nerd rage, but yes, better to save your innocence now than regret it later.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Is there really any need to bring old man Kirk back? First of all he died in ST 7, second William Shatner is known for wanting everything to be about him which is not what this new series needs.

Jedi Merkurian and DantheJedi like this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    @Mustafar_66 I agree everything he has done with Pegg has been great the rest is horrible. [face_praying]

@SithLordDarthRichieI agree keep Shatner far away from this movie:(

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Really, there isn't. Just as there wasn't a need for Ambassador Spock in "Into Darkness". Not to mention putting Shatner and Pine together would highlight how different their portrayals are of the same character. It wasn't bad with Nimoy and Quinto since both were similar in their portrayal of Spock, but Kirk is a whole different matter.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Nimoy was needed in the first movie to create the link to the old movies. But he also was the only member of that crew still alive during TNG movie era so it made sense (being half Vulcan he lives longer than a human would). Having a guy who is supposed to have died decades before suddenly appearing would require a lot of explaining, much of which wouldn't make sense

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    How about this? Shatner in ST III 2.0... as T.J. Hooker :D.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Nah, that would actually be somewhat creative.

Sarge and Juke Skywalker like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    While I would call sheenangians to get Shatner into the movie, for the 50th anniversary of the show I'd give them a mulligan on that, since there are more than a few still living actors from that show. I would hope it would have some significance to the story as Spock was in "Star Trek" opposed to the "Hey, look Spock cameo!" of "Into Darkness."

Personally, I would go for Shatner and Nimoy show up in the third act, tell the kids to take a seat, proceed to solve entire movie in roughly 12 minutes. Shatner-Kirk makes a quip that goes over Nimoy-Spock's head who raises a quizzical eyebrow. Cue quirky outro music, Enterprise flies away into space.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Big Al, you're breaking my heart. They don't write em like that anymore. :(

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Hallelujah.

God do I disdain Orci. What a stain on Trek he was. Incapable of writing anything half-decent unless he was ripping off a better, more talented writer.

Such a classless man too. Like when he told fans to **** off for not liking Into Darkness. Or when he told a critic that they should **** the dude's mother together because that critic had the nerve to be annoyed that a white guy was cast as Khan. Or when he parroted the Obama birther conspiracy bull on trekmovie.com.

So, so happy he's gone. That issues with the screenplay were part of the reason just increases my glee since the man can't write worth a darn.

Abadacus and Thoix Heoro like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    See, I know it's weird -- but this is where I stick up for Bob. I just think that, given his sensibilities (despite his loving Trek), this was just a bad fit for him. I think he's got a keen mind as a producer and he's obviously capable of writing (his work on Alias was truly top-notch); I just think when he strays outside of something in his wheelhouse it's really, really noticable (i.e. Star Trek, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 etc.) whereas things like Alias, Hawaii Five-0, Xena, Jack Of all Trades are tending to be pretty good.

I also think he does well in "first times out" -- I liked the first Transformers and Star Trek and I've heard good things about Mission Impossible III -- all of which are decently high-grossing movies. I just think it's possible he gets lost in excesses after that. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

tl, dr: I think it's not all him, but the mixing of him and things he shouldn't be writing. He's got obvious talent, even if he's a crackpot, and it helps that he sort of looks like Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gene Roddenberry himself was fired from the Star Trek movies by Paramount.

Then he made a Star Trek TV series.

Just sayin'.

Other possibility, maybe Orci stepped aside and Paramount is willing to push the release date back because Abrams wants to come back after all. Just has to finish that Star Wars thingie first.

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've always hated Kirk's death scene in Generations. An iconic character deserves an iconic death (or send-off), and that one is lacking to say the least. I would totally be into old Kirk and old Spock saving the day. I'm not sure people under 30 would feel the same, however. They'd be like "Why's the Priceline guy telling everyone what to do?".

Heck, I'd be up for round 2 between 80-something Kirk and the Gorn from Arena, though I'm guessing the sight of the latter in that once-piece tunic wouldn't be a pretty sight these days.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And Trek fans get shafted on TOS' 50th anniversary. As usual.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Nah, this would be easier since I think the rumor is or was that it is the Kirk of the current future and not from the other timeline. Meaning Pine's Kirk and not Shatner of the original universe like Ambassador Spock. This Kirk would presumably never died in Veridian III. Much less be sucked into the Nexus.

That's Sheriff, Officer T.J. Hooker.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    TrandoJedi, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

With a soundtrack composed by his wife consisting entirely of the sitar.

Seriously, get Nicholas Meyer to do it. I would like to see what he could bring to this alterverse. Plus, he can write Trek.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :confused: STXI and STID occurred in 2258 and 2259 respectively, in an alternate timeline. Why would you assume that Prime Kirk would be involved, as opposed to an older Kirk from the future of the Abramsverse? Following the creation of the Abramsverse in the first place, why would anything from the later years of the Prime timeline have any effect on the Abramsverse at all?

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    TBH I never really thought about the future of the Abramsverse, I assumed any original actors would be from the same place as original Spock.