main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] An Unofficial Captain's Log. (DDC2015) Complete & AN 01/03/16.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 2, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by Nyota's Heart -- Disclaimer: Borrowing with affection and for the laughs.

AN: Jim keeps an unofficial log of impressions, introspections, and observations. :cool:

~~!

Then

The first time I saw Nyota Uhura -- well, I didn't know that was her name at that time... I was struck by her loveliness and poise. Her witty rebuff - it amused me and yet I took it seriously. I had no illusions about my charms for the ladies, so I figured hey. I would flirt with her whenever the chance arose, if it did, but I wouldn't push myself on her. Her companion, Gaila, now she was a stunner! An Orion - I figured their reps were well-earned! She caught my eye and I got the signal loud and clear.

So, the evening wasn't a total bust, after all.

~!

Now

When we met aboard the Enterprise, it was a pleasant surprise for me. I hoped she and I would be able to work together. I thought it quite likely her sense of professionalism would enable her to cooperate and be a team-player. I would endeavor for my part to keep my semi-flirtations in check. I had a feeling she would appreciate that!

++++++

[face_mischief]

:D

RX_Sith likes this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, this is definitely going to be a fun one! [face_love] [face_laugh] I am already enjoying this one immensely, and can't wait to see where it goes! :D [face_dancing]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Fun to start and love Jim in this

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    This looks like it will be fun in more ways than one.

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great start and Jim is back to his old hi jinks.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    ~~!

Pike ... now that was a curious relationship. At once mentorial and then potentially adversarial. He knew I would bend or torque the rules ... he wanted someone who thought outside the box. He was straightforward and what you saw was what you got. I could respect that. So I wanted to make him feel validated in his confidence in me from the outset.

I knew he would have my back and wouldn't hold to the strict letter of the regs without trying to see both sides.

It was an ideal situation.

++++

RX_Sith likes this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Kirk needed Pike to spar. It brought the best in him

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A most idea situation, that's for sure! [face_love] Loved this glimpse at Pike and Kirk's bond. =D=

9. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Pike was Kirk's mentor and what Kirk aspired to be; Captain of the Enterprise.

10. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Jim's diary!! COOL!!!

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    TWO diaries from you? Awesome! :D I'm very much looking forward to Jim -- I adore him :D

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    To say that my relationship with my Mother was often prickly and full of contradictions is or had been a fact brought about by circumstances. "I'm doing the best I can." She would tell us and I would roll my eyes and think: "Really?"

Why would she tie herself down to a no goodnik and think it was for the best?

When I settled on a career path, I could tell she was relieved. When I received a high rank in the 'Fleet, I could tell she was proud. "I've always been proud and more than hopeful you'd find your way." She told me, barely refraining from ruffling my hair.

I could tell when someone was putting one over, and I knew she was sincere. I gave a genuine smile of thanks. "I haven't made it easy." I confessed.

"That's putting it mildly."

Her tone was teasing, and I was glad we could speak without rancorous undertones. "I was a bit better than the scruffy underbelly of the Lower East." I quipped, referring to the seedier parts of our capital megatropolis.

"Lord be praised." She sighed. "I have to imagine we have more than a bit of gratitude for Pike's influence."

I nodded in assent. "And McCoy's."

She laughed outright. "Jury's still out." She snarked.

When I departed on my tour, she gave me a hug and packed my favorite mini apple tarts in my travel duffel.

The way to a guy's heart for a mom or a sweetheart is still the stomach.

+++++

LOL :cool:

RX_Sith likes this.
  13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, this was a great glimpse at Jim's relationship with Winona. It's had its ups and downs, but there is still an underlying love that you showcased perfectly here. I am glad to see their relationship on a high note with his promotion. [face_love]

The line about McCoy, in particular, had me snickering. :p

Another wonderful update! I can't wait for more! [face_love]=D=

14. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    How Jim's mother ended up with that (what do you call it) 'goodnik' after being married to a commanding officer like Jim's dad is probably the only thing that peeves me in the new version of Star Trek.

Great update, Ny!!

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Agreeing Hazel with that aspect, :rolleyes: A woman should never settle, a guy either for that matter. The only upside to all that was that it actually grew Jim up more and in deeper ways [face_thinking] :cool: It opened the way for mentoring father figures later. :)

Hazel likes this.
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the glimpse in Jim's life with his mother

17. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jim's substitute "father" would never measure up to his real father but at least his mother was always there for him.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

The way to a guy's heart for a mom or a sweetheart is still the stomach.

Or a girl's :p

I love the dynamics of their relationship! And I'm glad it survived a sucky father-in-law and Kirk's wild years.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I frowned at McCoy. "Just because you've had sorry luck in the romance department - don't try to discourage me from having a good time."

"You sure have an exaggerated idea of your own appeal." McCoy observed.

"Ha! You can call it exaggerated if you want. Right on the mark is more like it." I retorted.

He shot me a dubious glare and I chuckled.

Despite our sniping, I wasn't fazed by his apparent low opinion of my charm for the ladies, undaunted and undeterred ...

He was fun to unwind with and definitely not the sort to mince words. He was surprisingly a good listener, as well.

He snarked and railed about Spock, but I was not fooled by all that bluster, either. Speaking of which ... that was one friendship/colleagueship that came out of left field and knocked me for a loop! (More on that one later.)

++++

[face_rofl]

RX_Sith likes this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Kirk sure is the ladies man and quite sure of himself

21. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Kirk always was great with the ladies; McCoy not so much.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh Jim :p I love his snarking with McCoy!

23. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    [face_laugh] Suddenly, I had a flash from Into the Woods.

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    And I just choked on my coffee there. Yes! I had quite the same vibe when reading that line. :p [face_laugh]

Ahh, but the bantering here was wonderful. Kirk really does have a friend for life in McCoy - as much as he has a friend-to-come in Spock, which I cannot wait to read. [face_love]

=D=

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Using consolation from the NSW prompts.

~!

Spock ... what level of consolation could he give me after a long, hard, grueling day of hard choices? Would he point out the obvious, that there really was no choice, the

illogic of brooding over what-ifs or should-haves?

To my utter surprise, after the first of many near-misses during our tour, he did neither. When I pointed this out in frank astonishment, he quirked an eyebrow and said:

"The things I could point out you already know, so there is nothing gained by that. What I believe you need ... is a distraction."

I smiled. "I'm ready."

Thereby began our chess-matches. We competed very good-naturedly, and I and he learned a lot from these. The recklessness of the daring move on my part, and what

he taught me was the larger objective - which, even if you wouldn't think so, differs with each match. The checkmate is the easy answer but the getting there, that's the

challenging thing and the whole scene is something you have to keep in mind.

Those lessons transfer to command and to other choices.

The one area I did not know how to address, and fumbled about terribly with, was the loss of Amanda. My heart clenched at the very thought of losing my mother after we

had just gained a close relationship again. I had never known my biological father, but still and all, that had its own legacy. And my uncles Frank and William, they were

role models but from a distance. I had gotten the impression that Amanda and her son had been close, although now the relationship with Sarek had started to deepen

and become more open of late.

I, being candid, apologized for my lack of finesse in being able to find just the right words. "I don't often find myself in that position." I concluded.

"Particularly with the ladies?" He rejoined, with amusement.

"My reputation proceeds me." I grinned.

"Your sympathy is appreciated and I daresay I have been able to pick up on the nonverbal indicators." Spock responded.

I wondered if he were merely being polite. Then I shrugged in answer to my own unspoken question. Nah!

"Uhura has been a good teacher in that, I'd expect." I observed.

"Yes, although the nature of her silent communications differ markedly." He answered.

I laughed. "I can believe it!" I said earnestly. The lovely lady was vibrant and passionate and yet something told me she was well-rewarded for her instructions.

+++++++++

RX_Sith likes this.